Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

USA - Driving License & Insurance?

USA - Driving License & Insurance?

Old May 12th 2011, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

shining light is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA - Driving License & Insurance?

Just wondering how the Licenses work in the USA. looking at a couple of earlier threads, it seems each State has its own, and even an American national who moves from one State to another has to obtain a new license, is this correct?

If I moved to the USA from the UK I guess I would have to take both the written and actual driving test?

Would I pay more for insurance as a foreigner?

In general, (to those who came from the UK) would you say Car insurance is more or less than the UK?

Thanks
Old May 12th 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA - Driving License & Insurance?

Originally Posted by shining light
Just wondering how the Licenses work in the USA. looking at a couple of earlier threads, it seems each State has its own, and even an American national who moves from one State to another has to obtain a new license, is this correct?

If I moved to the USA from the UK I guess I would have to take both the written and actual driving test?

Would I pay more for insurance as a foreigner?

In general, (to those who came from the UK) would you say Car insurance is more or less than the UK?

Thanks
What state are you moving to???? You are right, each state has it's own license and when you move from one state to another, you have to change your license so that is correct.

Where I am I had to take the written and practical, and an 8 hour class on driving/alcohol/drugs. Pretty straightforward.

Insurance if you have no history here is expensive. Ours has now come down a bit since we've had our licenses/cars over a year but all in all I would say it's more expensive than the UK, in our circumstances anyway.
Old May 12th 2011, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Brat1, that is useful to know.
Old May 12th 2011, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify a few points.

When a foreigner lands in the US and wants a US license, with a few exceptions you generally need to do a written and practical test in the state in which you reside.

When anyone with a license from one state moves to a different state they must get a new license. The old license is surrendered and a new license is issued, generally there is no test.
Old May 12th 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Yes as above. States issue licenses, not federal govt.

Example: I moved from the UK to California and had a British license. Had to take a written test and driving test.

Six months later, moved to TX, no driving test but had to take a written test and surrender CA license.

Not sure about insurance cost. My mother in law and wife are on the same policy and I got added to theirs. I know it really didn't increase the cost much.
Old May 12th 2011, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

While we're on the subject, lots of folks here say how easy the tests are.

I failed the CA test twice in Glendale. Someone suggested trying another DMV office. So I went to either Burbank or north Hollywood, I don't remember. Passed, no problem.

She talked all the while about English castles.

I'm not ashamed to admit this.
Old May 12th 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

The written test in WA is very easy (not really written since it is multiple choice on touch screen). I got the first couple wrong but then got the remainder correct and it stopped as soon as I hit the magic number of correct answers. The practical wasn't too hard, I passed first time but I got the minimum score, and despite that the tester said I was a very good driver. I'd had many lessons in the UK but never got to take the actual practical test, so I guess that paid off.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Anian, You look a bit young to me to be driving, how do you reach the pedals?
Old May 12th 2011, 10:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

When anyone with a license from one state moves to a different state they must get a new license. The old license is surrendered and a new license is issued, generally there is no test.
There is generally no test for those over 21 and/or with 3 years experience.

As for insurance, generally it's more expensive here and being someone with no US credit history and no US driving history, it will be more expensive still...think back to when you were a spotty 16 year old oink and it'll be more pricey, unless you go with state minimums, which you'd be stupid to even contemplate.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

unless you go with state minimums, which you'd be stupid to even contemplate.
Meaning I wouldn't be covered enough to pay a costly lawsuit? Or to pay a huge medical bill?
Old May 12th 2011, 10:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deeks
Meaning I wouldn't be covered enough to pay a costly lawsuit? Or to pay a huge medical bill?
Both.

Legal minimums wouldn't cover getting a plaster for a broken leg around my way, after paying the ambulance

Also got to worry about uninsured drivers, and that's a problem around my way because we're near NH and they aren't required to have car insurance up there.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

here in CA i have to take both written and practical test
Old May 12th 2011, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Both.

Legal minimums wouldn't cover getting a plaster for a broken leg around my way, after paying the ambulance

Also got to worry about uninsured drivers, and that's a problem around my way because we're near NH and they aren't required to have car insurance up there.
I'm really not liking my return to the US.
Old May 12th 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
There is generally no test for those over 21 and/or with 3 years experience.
There is, generally, no such thing as "generally" when it comes to the way that different states handle things like this except that they are generally all different.
Old May 13th 2011, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

I know some people who are still using old UK "Until 70" licences & if they get stopped by the cops state that they just got here 2 weeks ago.. I stil have mine that was issued in 1977, but I have no idea where it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.