Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The USA BritExpat cyber DIAMOND JUBILEE STREET PARTY

The USA BritExpat cyber DIAMOND JUBILEE STREET PARTY

Old May 31st 2012, 12:07 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default The USA BritExpat cyber DIAMOND JUBILEE STREET PARTY

(Note I shamelessly stole the thread title from BEVS)

Get out that bunting. Spread your red, white and blue tablecloth (see, you wondered what I was going to write there didn't you ) Flash your patriotic avatars!!! Join in the BE Diamond Jubilee street party here.

What food are your bringing?

What music shall we stick on?

Who's bringing the booze?
Old May 31st 2012, 12:30 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The USA BritExpat cyber DIAMOND JUBILEE STREET PARTY

I thought nobody was going to play! I can't help thinking there should be a 1977 theme as I remember the Silver Jubilee at age 11!
Old May 31st 2012, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the Silver Jubilee very well too. I was living in Cheshire and pregnant with my younger daughter - named her middle name Elizabeth after the Queen!!

I was in World Market tonight after work and they had these beautiful large commemorative tins of Walkers shortbread - the tins were made specially for the Diamond Jubilee and had a lovely picture of the Queen on the front and then on the back 3 more pictures and some information all about the Queen. Of course I had to buy one!! There were on sale too!!

It's times like this I wish I was in England - love all those street parties, etc. My youngest daughter is there right now. Her husband surprised her last week with two tickets to the UK when she got her Nursing degree. They flew there last weekend and are having a blast!!!
Old May 31st 2012, 2:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I remember the Silver Jubilee very well too. I was living in Cheshire and pregnant with my younger daughter - named her middle name Elizabeth after the Queen!!

I was in World Market tonight after work and they had these beautiful large commemorative tins of Walkers shortbread - the tins were made specially for the Diamond Jubilee and had a lovely picture of the Queen on the front and then on the back 3 more pictures and some information all about the Queen. Of course I had to buy one!! There were on sale too!!

It's times like this I wish I was in England - love all those street parties, etc. My youngest daughter is there right now. Her husband surprised her last week with two tickets to the UK when she got her Nursing degree. They flew there last weekend and are having a blast!!!

I was pregnant with my daughter as well. I remember there were lots of freebies given away if your baby was born around the jubilee and if you gave birth on 7/7/77...I was too late she was born 7/19
Old May 31st 2012, 5:44 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I thought nobody was going to play! I can't help thinking there should be a 1977 theme as I remember the Silver Jubilee at age 11!
I remember the Coronation and still have the Coronation mug that was given to all the school children where I lived. Expect the mugs were given out to many more kids, but not sure how far and wide it went.
Old May 31st 2012, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Just gatecrashing the USA party to say howdy from NZ!!

Old May 31st 2012, 12:10 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Me too, I was only a kid but we got all dressed up. Bunting everywhere and the whole street joined in.
Old May 31st 2012, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Me too, I was only a kid but we got all dressed up. Bunting everywhere and the whole street joined in.
Our council wouldn't let us have a street party (they claimed it was because the local cop shop was at the end of the road or some other spurious reason - these days we'd denounce them to the Daily Mail and demand they be stripped of the title "Royal Borough"). Fortunately two of our neighbours shared a big paved over forecourt in front of their houses so we had it there.

At school we all got a Silver Jubilee mug and commemorative Crown coin. I still have the coin somewhere. Maybe in three hundred years or so a descendent will take it on Virtual Antiques Roadshow and will be told it's worth 25p.

This Jubilee I shall be spending with my American colleagues complaining about how much time the London office get off.

Last edited by rpjs; May 31st 2012 at 12:48 pm.
Old May 31st 2012, 12:50 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by rpjs
At school we all got a Silver Jubilee mug and commemorative Crown coin. I still have the coin somewhere. Maybe in three hundred years or so a descendent will take it on Virtual Antiques Roadshow and will be told it's worth 25p.
Oh yes I forgot about the coin. I think I've got mine tucked away somewhere.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:01 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the Silver Jubilee - don't think we had a street party, but lots of special stuff going on with Scouts, and we got to meet the Queen at a Lifeboat Launching in Hartlepool. We were given coins at school - still have mine tucked away, somewhere, unlike the coins in the decimal coinage presentation pack that were sacrificed for a bag of cheese and onion crisps and a Commando comic! I later bought myself the whole set (24?) of Golden Jubilee crowns from the Royal Mint - I haven't seen anything for the Diamond - must check up on that.

Dad brought home an engraved beer tankard for me (age 13) and wine goblets for my sisters (15 and 18). Mum was not amused.... He almost rescued himself by saying they go nicely with their coronation mugs...

I like the way the locals here are getting in to the Jubilee - our local HEB has lots of Red White and Blue stuff in already, and yesterday at my eldest sons graduation from 5th grade they even played Land of Hope and Glory
Old May 31st 2012, 1:02 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

My coin was amongst a few "treasures" that came over with me. The whole lot got nicked last year when house was burgled.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:19 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Silver Jubilee was great fun

We lived in a small, dead-end street so there was no thru-traffic. Everyone in the street got involved and the road was closed off to cars for a few days as i recall.

Had a big street party, disco and all kinds of entertainers and stuff. Had a blast.

It's probably just me bein an old fart, but looking back now it all seemed so different to how things are now. Bleh.. *shakes stick*
Old May 31st 2012, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Im in UK at the mo - and theres nothing going on where i am as far as I can tell!!
Ooo I'l join in this one!!!

Im gonna bring the following:

Bagels
Cream Cheese
Smoked salmon (not too much cos its expensive!!!)
Chopped herring
Egg n Onion
and wait for it - Chopped liver!!!!!
Let's have a north west london slant on proceedings - the Queen would approve im sure!!
Can we sit where we want or do we choose who to sit next to???
Old May 31st 2012, 1:27 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
a bag of cheese and onion crisps and a Commando comic!
That just sounds perfect to me.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Im in UK at the mo - and theres nothing going on where i am as far as I can tell!!
Ooo I'l join in this one!!!

Im gonna bring the following:

Bagels
Cream Cheese
Smoked salmon (not too much cos its expensive!!!)
Chopped herring
Egg n Onion
and wait for it - Chopped liver!!!!!
Let's have a north west london slant on proceedings - the Queen would approve im sure!!
Can we sit where we want or do we choose who to sit next to???
We're off to England for a wedding in two weeks time.. slotting our visit in unobtrusively between the Jubilee weekend and the Olympics!

You can hold the chopped liver, I've gone off it. But I'll have a double helping of chopped herring if I may. I just got an email from Tesco's this morning, 25% off all champagne. I should bring a case or five of that to the street party.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.