Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

US/UK Dual national child traveling on one passport

US/UK Dual national child traveling on one passport

Old Jul 26th 2016, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default US/UK Dual national child traveling on one passport

Ok ...

So, last time I checked, I am sure there was some sort of understanding that you need both passports to leave/enter the US/UK if you have dual-nationality.

However ... wondering if this has changed at all? The only reason I ask is that my son and I have both renewed our British passports, but I need to renew his US one as well. However I would like to travel ideally in the next few weeks ... so I was wondering if it would be acceptable for him to just use his British passport.

Will it cause problems when reentering the US?

Hoffage
Old Jul 26th 2016, 9:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US/UK Dual national child traveling on one passport

Originally Posted by hoffage123
Ok ...

So, last time I checked, I am sure there was some sort of understanding that you need both passports to leave/enter the US/UK if you have dual-nationality.

However ... wondering if this has changed at all? The only reason I ask is that my son and I have both renewed our British passports, but I need to renew his US one as well. However I would like to travel ideally in the next few weeks ... so I was wondering if it would be acceptable for him to just use his British passport.

Hoffage
It is a legal requirement that US citizens leave and enter the US using a US passport. US citizens cannot be refused entry to the US...but they can be detained and a fine may be levied.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 9:43 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
Ok ...

Hoffage
If you have US citizenship you don't need both passports -- but unfortunately a US citizen must both leave and enter the US on the US passport, so that is the one your son needs to use. He can enter the UK on either passport, it doesn't matter which he uses.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
If you have US citizenship you don't need both passports -- but unfortunately a US citizen must both leave and enter the US on the US passport, so that is the one your son needs to use. He can enter the UK on either passport, it doesn't matter which he uses.

This. Having both passports is useful, as the UK passport holders line when you arrive in the UK will be shorter - but the US passport is the necessary one, as he needs to leave and enter the US on that.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 1:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As everyone has said, a US/UK dual citizen only needs one passport to travel from the US to the UK and back - a US passport.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 27th 2016 at 1:54 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys!

I have put in an expedited passport application last week ... we have travel plans for August 18th - August 25. Hopefully it will arrive in time.

Hoffage