Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

US TV (or other) overlooked whilst in the UK

US TV (or other) overlooked whilst in the UK

Old May 15th 2011, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light
Default US TV (or other) overlooked whilst in the UK

Since relocating to the US in '02, I have become a big fan of Futurama, & Family Guy, which for some reason, I couldn't get into whilst I was still in the UK. The most likely reasons being, in the case of Futurama, I was comparing it against The Simpsons, and that there was other more established shows that I liked available to me. Once I was in the US, I had a load of free time whilst I waited on an EAD, I started watching them and then realized what I had missed out on.

Did anyone else here find that they liked a show (or something else) that they had deliberately overlooked whilst still in their birth nation?
Old May 15th 2011, 4:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US TV (or other) overlooked whilst in the UK

Originally Posted by pTeronaut

Did anyone else here find that they liked a show (or something else) that they had deliberately overlooked whilst still in their birth nation?
No, not really
Old May 15th 2011, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Family Guy is a fantastic show. Never saw it in the old country. But love it now.
Old May 15th 2011, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta to admit I love family guy...esp Brian the dog!
Old May 15th 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
Since relocating to the US in '02, I have become a big fan of Futurama, & Family Guy, which for some reason, I couldn't get into whilst I was still in the UK. The most likely reasons being, in the case of Futurama, I was comparing it against The Simpsons, and that there was other more established shows that I liked available to me. Once I was in the US, I had a load of free time whilst I waited on an EAD, I started watching them and then realized what I had missed out on.

Back in the early 70's, my room-mate one semester was a recent immigrant and he was addicted to "I Love Lucy" re-runs. At the time I thought it was weird but I now understand.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:31 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

House - didn't really bother about it in the UK but love it now
Old May 17th 2011, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Sanctuary - kind of like Buffy

Have watched the first two series on Netflix - I love it when you can just sit and watch episode after episode. I did that with each BattleStar Galatica series - those were fantastic weekends!

What's funny is that I didn't class myself as a geek until my wife pointed out I did things like that and spent days playing Halo.........
Old May 18th 2011, 12:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSBlake

Have watched the first two series on Netflix - I love it when you can just sit and watch episode after episode. I did that with each BattleStar Galatica series - those were fantastic weekends!
I did that with Breaking Bad...very weird, but amusing show that
Old May 18th 2011, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

When I first moved here I used to watch Keeping up Appearances, that got old quick, I think it was repeated on BBCA about 6 times! I also loved watching Eastenders until BBCA ditched it.
Old May 18th 2011, 4:26 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

24. I didn't so much overlook it but I knew I'd end up missing a really important episode that would completely ruin the series for me so I just didn't bother to start it.

We found the first 2 seasons on sale at Wally World last summer so we grabbed them and I was hooked after that. My wife had seen it before though.