British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Us at SIL's wedding (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/us-sils-wedding-739968/)

Squirrel Nov 24th 2011 2:45 pm

Us at SIL's wedding

1 Attachment(s)
Here's DH and I at his sister's wedding. We were both in the wedding party. The other two bridesmaids didn't want to wear a fascinator as apparantly Americans 'don't do hats' (according to MIL!)

The reception was at the Colonnial Inn, in Concord, Mass.

Derrygal Nov 25th 2011 1:06 am

Re: Us at SIL's wedding

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9752140)
Here's DH and I at his sister's wedding. We were both in the wedding party. The other two bridesmaids didn't want to wear a fascinator as apparantly Americans 'don't do hats' (according to MIL!)

Very nice picture!! You're right about the hats - Americans just don't seem to wear them. When my eldest daughter got married here (11 years ago) my mother-in-law came from England, complete with hat. However, I think she was a little embarrassed to be the only person wearing one (I told her in advance no-one wore hats here). She came back in 2008 when my youngest daughter got married - this time hatless!!

Kaffy Mintcake Nov 26th 2011 2:42 am

Thanks for posting the picture. You both are looking good. As for the hats, think of yourself as a trendsetter. Or ... be sure to visit the Kentucky Derby, the one event in the US where it's all about the hats!

Squirrel Nov 26th 2011 3:54 pm

Anyone know if Michelle Obama wore a hat to the Royal Wedding? I didn't notice.

Poppy girl Nov 26th 2011 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9755163)

:blink: Royal wedding the Obama's!!

joto Nov 26th 2011 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9755163)

They weren't invited. so didn't go.

Jerseygirl Nov 26th 2011 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by joto (Post 9755183)
They weren't invited. so didn't go.

Maybe they took one look at the ghastly outfit she was wearing when they met her in London. :scaredhair: She often looks lovely in evening dresses but her day clothes often look as though they've dropped out of the 50's and are 4 sizes too small.

Derrygal Nov 26th 2011 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9755199)
Maybe they took one look at the ghastly outfit she was wearing when they met her in London. :scaredhair: She often looks lovely in evening dresses but her day clothes often look as though they've dropped out of the 50's and are 4 sizes too small.

Actually I think she usually looks very nice!!

Rete Nov 27th 2011 1:00 am

Are you both British?

Jerseygirl Nov 27th 2011 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9755417)
Actually I think she usually looks very nice!!

Michelle Obama in her fancy day dress?:unsure:

Apologies to Squirrel for taking your thread off topic...I will post no more. :o

Squirrel Nov 27th 2011 5:49 pm

Oh, I thought I read that because it wasn't the first in line heir to the throne they didn't invite heads of state (hence Barack not invited) but Michelle was invited to represent the US? I could be wrong.

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 Nov 28th 2011 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9752140)

This is a great picture. You two are a great looking couple. I hope that you and your husband had a great time.

mikelincs Nov 29th 2011 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9756493)
Oh, I thought I read that because it wasn't the first in line heir to the throne they didn't invite heads of state (hence Barack not invited) but Michelle was invited to represent the US? I could be wrong.

Only heads of state that were also members of their Royal Family as it wasn't a state occasion. So no Obamas.