Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

US Preclearance - Dublin Airport

US Preclearance - Dublin Airport

Old Apr 22nd 2016, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile US Preclearance - Dublin Airport

Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions about this:

1-How long should you allow if you are checking in at Dublin?

2- How does it work if you arrive into Dublin via transit and then onward to the USA. How much time do you need and do you go through the same procedure as regular checking in?

3- When you arrive in the USA do you have to collect your hold luggage at all or are you totally a domestic customer and transit is basically off the plane and on to the next one?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Preclearance - Dublin Airport

Originally Posted by savannah_boy

2- How does it work if you arrive into Dublin via transit and then onward to the USA. How much time do you need and do you go through the same procedure as regular checking in?

3- When you arrive in the USA do you have to collect your hold luggage at all or are you totally a domestic customer and transit is basically off the plane and on to the next one?

Thanks in advance
I've done this several times, as recently as 3 weeks ago.

1. It depends. First time it was about 15 mins. 3 weeks ago it was much busier and although it took less than 30 mins, they were actively moving people through the lines where their flights were close to departure. The security screening and X-ray was very busy and slow too.

2. We've been on Aer Lingus from both Manchester and Newcastle and onwards to the US from Dublin. Bags have gone straight through. It maybe airline dependent. We were advised to bag drop in the UK as early as we could. Think we gave ourselves about 2 hours in Man. Dublin wait was 1hr 45min. You may need to go to the connections desk for your next boarding card if it wasn't issued at your departure airport. It's very streamlined if you're on Aer Lingus

3. Don't know sorry, we landed in the US at our final destination, picked up bags and left. Home within an hour of landing.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute

I should have expanded on (1). Do you have to do a regular check in at Dublin and then go to US preclearance. I imagine the time required for all of this is a lot greater? Normal check in for US bound flights is about 3 hours anyway?
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

I should have expanded on (1). Do you have to do a regular check in at Dublin and then go to US preclearance. I imagine the time required for all of this is a lot greater? Normal check in for US bound flights is about 3 hours anyway?
We did our check in at the UK airport. Once we landed in Dublin there were additional security checks (bags, X-ray) then onto preclearance. With online check in and bag drop I haven't done a 3 hour check-in for many years.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

cjgray87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance
1 - allow 90 minutes to get through, we used it on Good Friday and the airport was quiet but still took a reasonable amount of time

2 - we flew from Dublin, not sure

3 - domestic customer, we were straight of the plane and free to roam the airport
Old Apr 29th 2016, 7:50 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Last time I was in transit everything took less than 30 minutes, was surprised though when they scanned my baggage tag and a picture of my bag appeared on screen and I was asked to confirm it was my bag.

I joked with with the agent that it was nice that somebody knew where my bag was, he suggested they would give me the photo as a souvenir if the bag went walk about.
Old May 5th 2016, 12:46 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Typo in the URL in the video, lol.
Old May 5th 2016, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

US immigration has always been waaay quicker for us in Dublin than any of the other US immigrations in the states itself (Boston, Chicago, Miami and Orlando the ones we've been through). Like one person ahead of us, that quick.
Old May 6th 2016, 3:30 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
US immigration has always been waaay quicker for us in Dublin than any of the other US immigrations in the states itself (Boston, Chicago, Miami and Orlando the ones we've been through). Like one person ahead of us, that quick.
But doesn't it depend on when you hit it? While I've been loving global entry for the past year (zero queueing to date) I do notice what's going on in the immigration hall in general. BOS last night - deserted as we deplaned. Non-Global Entry pax would be through in minutes. Time before - rammed - queuing down the corridors. I enter BOS or JFK from LHR roughly once every 3 weeks or so, and the queues fluctuate wildly. Would have thought DUB/SNN might get backed up sometimes given their small scale?
Old May 9th 2016, 1:56 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

But how many US-bound flights are there?

The whole purpose of pre-clearance is to make it faster: https://www.cbp.gov/frontline/frontline-preclearance

Last edited by Steve_; May 9th 2016 at 2:01 am.
Old May 9th 2016, 1:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
But how many US-bound flights are there?

The whole purpose of pre-clearance is to make it faster: https://www.cbp.gov/frontline/frontline-preclearance
Pre-clearance isn't always well-executed. Old article (2014), but Etihad's Abu Dhabi Pre-Clearance Is Still A Disaster. I hear it's slightly better now, but still has its moments.

Funnily enough I read more about AUH that DUB and SNN together, so wondered if they always run like clockwork.
Old May 12th 2016, 12:57 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

I have to say it removes a lot of the stress from the flight, knowing you don't have to deal with CBP when you land. Total bedlam on the way back though, I'd never fly again if I didn't have NEXUS.
Old May 24th 2016, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

Lack of resources threatens US pre-clearance service at Dublin Airport - Independent.ie
Old May 24th 2016, 10:43 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Well this was the problem getting it in London, they've said they're going to do it again, IIRC pre-clearance operated at Gatwick very briefly, now they're saying it's going to be put in at LHR T5.

You've got to be a US citizen to work for CBP and that was the reason the whole thing imploded last time. Who can afford to live in London on CBP wages?

One of the guys I spoke to at YVR said he lived in the US, couldn't afford to live in Vancouver.
Old May 25th 2016, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well this was the problem getting it in London, they've said they're going to do it again, IIRC pre-clearance operated at Gatwick very briefly, now they're saying it's going to be put in at LHR T5.

You've got to be a US citizen to work for CBP and that was the reason the whole thing imploded last time. Who can afford to live in London on CBP wages?

One of the guys I spoke to at YVR said he lived in the US, couldn't afford to live in Vancouver.
Given the choice of working at Manchester or LHR as a CBP officer I know which one I would choose. I know of one CBP officer at my airport has expressed an interest in Stockholm and Dublin/Shannon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.