US Driving Test

Old May 17th 2015, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Eddie35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Driving Test

How long after arrival on a visa do you have to put in for your driving test please, practical and theory? I take it you can't just use your UK driving licence indefinitely?!

Thanks
Old May 17th 2015, 6:56 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Driving Test

Where are you moving to (state)?

California for example insists that all new residents get a CA drivers license within 10 days,.
It's been pointed out that this is not practical for many reasons (CA DMVs can take a long time to schedule this stuff); also, it will take a while for your SSN to come through if you don't already have one.

It's better to get it done as soon as possible because here a DL is your first port of call for applying for almost anything.
Old May 17th 2015, 6:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddie35
How long after arrival on a visa do you have to put in for your driving test please, practical and theory? I take it you can't just use your UK driving licence indefinitely?!

Thanks
This is a state responsibility (i.e. not a US responsibility.) Which state are you moving to?
Old May 17th 2015, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, thanks. Virginia
Old May 17th 2015, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Does this help?
Old May 17th 2015, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. I didn't know to look up 'DMV' so that really helps
Old May 17th 2015, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddie35
Thanks for that. I didn't know to look up 'DMV' so that really helps
Yes, you have a whole new set of abbreviations to learn.

Each state has its own Department (or, sometimes, Bureau) of Motor Vehicles.

The "DMV" has a special place in US popular culture and is widely (and often correctly) regarded as being as an incompetent and Kafkaesque bureaucracy dedicated to being as obstructive and unhelpful as possible ...

Old May 17th 2015, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065

The "DMV" has a special place in US popular culture and is widely (and often correctly) regarded as being as an incompetent and Kafkaesque bureaucracy dedicated to being as obstructive and unhelpful as possible ...

To begin with I got angry but eventually you just block out a whole morning and you can meet some fun people. When that last happened to me, because I was called in to retake my test at renewal, I finally got to the counter and was told I didn't need to, just had to queue to get a new picture. Then they sent a new licence with the old picture.
Old May 17th 2015, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
To begin with I got angry but eventually you just block out a whole morning and you can meet some fun people. When that last happened to me, because I was called in to retake my test at renewal, I finally got to the counter and was told I didn't need to, just had to queue to get a new picture. Then they sent a new licence with the old picture.
Yes, it helps go in with no time pressure and low expectations ...
Old May 17th 2015, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

My wife insists the DMV is the reason why most Americans have an instinctive distrust of "socialized" healthcare...
Old May 17th 2015, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Holding a valid British license means you don't have to do Drivers Education and you don't need a learners permit. See Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

No need to make an advance appointment. You just need to turn up at a DMV office with your required documents and take both the 'written' exam (ie two computerised multiple choice tests) and a very easy practical test (show you know how to turn in your headlights and indicators, drive round the block). Allow a couple of hours for the whole thing.

Note, the Virginia DMV were very strict about the required documents (http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv141.pdf) with me, which caused me problems as the only secondary ID I was eligible for was my SS card, which was delayed due to a snafu by immigration.

The multiple choice tests were easy for an experienced British driver, mostly common sense, WITH THE EXCEPTION of info for young drivers eg 16, 17 year olds, who are obviously the main group of people who do the test. Make sure you swot up on curfew times for new drivers! Also blood alcohol levels. Read the DMV manual and do some practice tests (Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles ) and you should be fine. The teenager that took me out for my practical test was most disappointed she couldn't find anything wrong with my driving! Look in the mirror a few times and make sure you come to a complete stop at a stop sign.
Old May 17th 2015, 10:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065

It's the RMV in Massachusetts. They were good to me though. When I first arrived in MA, I just showed them my British license, and they gave me a MA license... no road test, just a simple multiple choice written test. I believe it's not so easy now though.
Old May 17th 2015, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Phooey, the last link doesn't work. Just look up under Drivers License then Practice Exam

Final note - I've recently found that an expired VA license is still good enough ID to buy alcohol in DC.
Old May 18th 2015, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Jambodj is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any experience of passing their driving text in Texas? (Austin)
Old May 18th 2015, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jambodj
Does anyone have any experience of passing their driving text in Texas? (Austin)
I think it's just drive down the car park, from what others have said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.