Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

US drivers license if non resident?

US drivers license if non resident?

Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:05 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US drivers license if non resident?

Originally Posted by JAJ
Would cause? You seem very confident about that ... why?

Most jurisdictions I am aware of do not do that.

And once again ... are all the American temporary residents in Australia driving around on invalid licences?
I'm not confident about it. I know that the address change is required when you move. I don't know what they'd say if you gave them an address in London. I was merely detailing what I thought the other person's position was on the matter. Aside from the immigration aspect, I'm somewhat indifferent to the whole thing. I think it's a bad idea to maintain such a thing if you're going to claim to be a tourist.

I wonder if these people would get called for jury duty...

Last edited by crg; Apr 26th 2009 at 10:08 am.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
I'm not confident about it. I know that the address change is required when you move. I don't know what they'd say if you gave them an address in London. I was merely detailing what I thought the other person's position was on the matter. Aside from the immigration aspect, I'm somewhat indifferent to the whole thing. I think it's a bad idea to maintain such a thing if you're going to claim to be a tourist.

I wonder if these people would get called for jury duty...
Only could get called for jury duty if they were a US citizen - obviously GC holders (with a A#) don't qualify for jury duty (and indeed if served would be calling themselves a US citizen with all the ramifications that that would mean!).
Old Apr 26th 2009, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Most Australian states/territories allow this, provided the overseas licence has not reached its expiry date.
Most (all?) US states allow you to keep your foreign license and use it while in the US. This is generally true *unless* you are actually resident in that state, in which case they require you to have a state-issued D/L. It seems to me that if you are no longer resident in that state (as in the OP's case), then that state-issued D/L is no longer valid regardless of its expiry date.

There are many examples in federal law of the same sort of thing... well, sort of! For example, a K-1 visa is valid for and doesn't expire until 6 months after its issued. However, once it's used, it becomes invalid even though the expiry date may be 5 months later. That's the point I'm trying to make with the D/L thing... nothing more than that.

Ian
Old Apr 26th 2009, 1:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Most (all?) US states allow you to keep your foreign license and use it while in the US. This is generally true *unless* you are actually resident in that state, in which case they require you to have a state-issued D/L. It seems to me that if you are no longer resident in that state (as in the OP's case), then that state-issued D/L is no longer valid regardless of its expiry date.
It may seem that way but it's not so unless the laws of the state mandate it so. And if it is true (unlikely) then Americans who use their state D/L when living in other countries (such as Australia) have got a problem.

It might be more helpful if people stating this point of view could find some legislation to back up their position, rather than just speculating without considering the consequences.

Where most driving licence jurisdictions draw the line is that they will not normally renew a licence to a person who has moved outside the jurisdiction. I know of none that cancel it before then, unless it is voluntarily surrendered (in Canada, people may do this to show tax non-residency).
Old Apr 26th 2009, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Most Americans living in Australia (and I would presume the United Kingdom is no different) do not continue to maintain a residence in the United States as well.
Define residence.

Every US entity I have come across has a different definition.

But SWMBO did in all categories that come to mind.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 5:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanR
Only could get called for jury duty if they were a US citizen - obviously GC holders (with a A#) don't qualify for jury duty (and indeed if served would be calling themselves a US citizen with all the ramifications that that would mean!).
The DMV rolls here are used to generate jury calls. DH got one when he was still a PR. He couldn't serve, but he got the letter.
Lots of other PRs here have reported being called for jury duty too.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Where most driving licence jurisdictions draw the line is that they will not normally renew a licence to a person who has moved outside the jurisdiction. I know of none that cancel it before then, unless it is voluntarily surrendered (in Canada, people may do this to show tax non-residency).
That is basically what Oregon DMV said. It doesn't compute as 'canceled' to them until another government bod returns it to them (via a voluntary surrender). Renewal requires proof of current residence.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
And if it is true (unlikely) then Americans who use their state D/L when living in other countries (such as Australia) have got a problem.
IMO, you're comparing apples and oranges. You're talking about US citizens who live in Australia and who use their US licenses. That's not the OP's situation. He isn't a USC living in the UK with a US license... he's a UKC living in the UK with a US license.

Anyway, you can continue to make a point if you want... I'm done.

Ian
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
IMO, you're comparing apples and oranges. You're talking about US citizens who live in Australia and who use their US licenses. That's not the OP's situation. He isn't a USC living in the UK with a US license... he's a UKC living in the UK with a US license.
Unless the laws of the state issuing the licence make a distinction - there is no difference!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:46 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Well. I'm glad this matter was finally settled.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The DMV rolls here are used to generate jury calls. DH got one when he was still a PR. He couldn't serve, but he got the letter.
Lots of other PRs here have reported being called for jury duty too.

That is basically what Oregon DMV said. It doesn't compute as 'canceled' to them until another government bod returns it to them (via a voluntary surrender). Renewal requires proof of current residence.
Probably just minor confusion here - when I had a GC and moved to a new town I got a letter for jury duty. The postcard had a section to indicate why you couldn't serve and one section was 'Alien' within which you could enter your A# to gain exemption. If I'd actually accepted and served then there would have been a major problem! As you say, you can still get the letter - just can't (or shouldn't) actually serve. And, of course, since becoming a USC not a peep from the jury service people.