Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

Old Jan 25th 2020, 6:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

Part of the deal between those with diplomatic protection and the host country is that they don't break the law.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Part of the deal between those with diplomatic protection and the host country is that they don't break the law.
But we all know that is not how it works in reality. Just ask NYC how successful they are in getting immunity waived so they can charge people for crimes they commit, they are very unsuccessful in getting immunity waived.

Had some in Canada such as the Philippine diplomat accused of human trafficking in Canada using her official residence, they fled back home, not sure if immunity was ever waived, as of the articles from 2014 it wasn't and I failed to find anything more recent.

In early 2000's a Russian diplomat driving drunk killed a Canadian lawyer walking on the sidewalk, immunity and fled back to Russia.

The German in NYC who beat his wife, claimed immunity and fled back to Germany

Old Jan 25th 2020, 10:45 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
But we all know that is not how it works in reality. Just ask NYC how successful they are in getting immunity waived so they can charge people for crimes they commit, they are very unsuccessful in getting immunity waived.

Had some in Canada such as the Philippine diplomat accused of human trafficking in Canada using her official residence, they fled back home, not sure if immunity was ever waived, as of the articles from 2014 it wasn't and I failed to find anything more recent.

In early 2000's a Russian diplomat driving drunk killed a Canadian lawyer walking on the sidewalk, immunity and fled back to Russia.

The German in NYC who beat his wife, claimed immunity and fled back to Germany
Yep, but this is someone who killed another by dangerous driviing and sneaked out of the UK to avoid the consequences.
Now it's a willy-waving contest for the US government.
Be proud....
Old Jan 25th 2020, 11:24 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The problem with this attempted snark is that Love didn't hide behind diplomatic immunity but fought his extradition in the courts. I think he's also being prosecuted in the UK? At least, that's what the High Court judge recommended.

"Love’s lawyers had argued that he was not seeking to avoid justice, and was prepared to stand trial in Britain. The judges indicated that was what should now happen."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1FP1IA
I agree that the US should try Scoolas. I'll readily admit I'm wallowing in "whataboutary" and deflection. I also agree that the UK is well within their rights when they fight extradition for the likes of Love or McKinnon.

Still, I could have done without UK politicians posturing around McKinnon and Love. They certainly didn't seem to mind offending the US. I found the McKInnon case particularly infuriating. I could have done without McKinnon's mother's mawkish book "A Mother's Story". I could have done without ridiculously using a convenient Aspergers diagnosis somehow as a defense for breaking into military computers. I could have done without his interviews saying he was looking for evidence of UFO, ignoring the political messages he had posted. I could have done without the eye-rolling speeches from Sting and the like and David Gilmour releasing a song about his hero McKinnon.

I also don't appreciate the banana republic depiction of the US justice system that the UK press (and many here) wholeheartedly embraces, especially if a patently guilty UK citizen is involved.

I'll be over here drooling on myself while machine-gunning baby seals.

Last edited by Hiro11; Jan 25th 2020 at 11:29 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 8:31 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I see it has finally been revealed Anne Sacoolas is former CIA herself.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...las-cia-agent/
Old Feb 9th 2020, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I see it has finally been revealed Anne Sacoolas is former CIA herself.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...las-cia-agent/
May explain a bit more about the US not wanting her to return and whisking her away quickly, who knows what she knows or what she did in the CIA.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that's a very interesting development in this story.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Yeah, that's a very interesting development in this story.
ex-CIA wouldn't automatically give her diplomatic immunity, but if the US thinks she's vulnerable to a third country extradition based on prior CIA activities, that would likely be a factor.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

ex-CIA wouldn't automatically give her diplomatic immunity, but if the US thinks she's vulnerable to a third country extradition based on prior CIA activities, that would likely be a factor.
And look at the effort they were putting into getting Assange extradited back to Sweden to face alleged charges, so that the US government could take him from there to the US..... Of course, the US doesn't like it when it's own dirty tricks are turned back on them.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 12:12 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
And look at the effort they were putting into getting Assange extradited back to Sweden to face alleged charges, so that the US government could take him from there to the US..... Of course, the US doesn't like it when it's own dirty tricks are turned back on them.
That narrative never held water at the time and still doesn't now. Why bother extraditing him to Sweden only to then extradite him to the US then he could just be extradited directly from the UK, as is happening now?
Old Feb 10th 2020, 2:13 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

And she also knows many secrets just like Paul Burrell and the "stolen" stuff from princess Diana. He had the goods on the royal family and they knew it. She has the goods on CIA ops over here and elsewhere. They will never risk her bringing that out in a UK court especially if she was doing something spy related which she probably was.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 2:56 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Suddenly this story makes a lot more sense. I think the argument to date has been that her status as a wife with someone with diplomatic immunity grants her the same protection. Still, the stonewalling resistance of the US government to honor her extradition made no sense to me. Now it's clear that she's a bit more than a non-involved diplomat's wife. Did the UK government know she was a CIA employee?

Last edited by Hiro11; Feb 10th 2020 at 2:58 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 2:23 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Suddenly this story makes a lot more sense. I think the argument to date has been that her status as a wife with someone with diplomatic immunity grants her the same protection. Still, the stonewalling resistance of the US government to honor her extradition made no sense to me. Now it's clear that she's a bit more than a non-involved diplomat's wife. Did the UK government know she was a CIA employee?
Almost certainly yes. And equally likely that they knew in advance that extradition requests would fall on deaf ears for precisely that reason, but had to be seen to be going through the motions. It would also make some more (though admittedly not very much more) sense of the bizarrely Trumpian White House moment when the parents of the deceased youth were blindsided by the fact Sacoolas was in the next room and had offered to meet them.

I wonder how much of a "former" CIA employee she is/was? Until how recently was she active? Reports seem to indicate that her role was more senior than that of her husband when she was on active duty.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 2:46 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Almost certainly yes. And equally likely that they knew in advance that extradition requests would fall on deaf ears for precisely that reason, but had to be seen to be going through the motions. It would also make some more (though admittedly not very much more) sense of the bizarrely Trumpian White House moment when the parents of the deceased youth were blindsided by the fact Sacoolas was in the next room and had offered to meet them.

I wonder how much of a "former" CIA employee she is/was? Until how recently was she active? Reports seem to indicate that her role was more senior than that of her husband when she was on active duty.
The impeachment hearing might have gone differently if that meeting had turned into the title of that wesley snipes movie.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 2:50 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
The impeachment hearing might have gone differently if that meeting had turned into the title of that wesley snipes movie.
"White Men Can't Jump?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.