Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

Old Dec 28th 2019, 9:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

Originally Posted by Yankashire
I was raised to believe that it's a rule-of-law society,..
This does seem to be a commonly expressed belief in the US. I was always puzzled by it, though, because it’s pretty clear that the US is less of a “rule of law society” than most other advanced, western countries. After all, Americans often pride themselves on “self reliance” and not trusting government. Whether you like it or not, law is a function of government.
Old Dec 28th 2019, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Yankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234

This does seem to be a commonly expressed belief in the US. I was always puzzled by it, though, because it’s pretty clear that the US is less of a “rule of law society” than most other advanced, western countries. After all, Americans often pride themselves on “self reliance” and not trusting government. Whether you like it or not, law is a function of government.
I have to say, I don't agree... yes, many Americans pride themselves on self-reliance, but the entire history of the American economy is underpinned by the rule of law... for example, secure property rights and rights of contract, including for foreigners and (lately) members of historically disfavored minority groups, which sense of security encourages a sense of safety in one's investments. The Americans could not have been as successful as they were without the rule of law. The bottom line is, you ought to get a fair shake in an American court regardless of who you are, and if you don't, I and a lot of other Americans would have a big problem with that.

Now, when law bleeds into international relations and the accompanying politics, we are into a whole other can of worms. But I would say that a sense of procedural (as opposed to substantive) fairness is inculcated in most of us as young children, and it sticks with us through life...
Old Dec 29th 2019, 7:40 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yankashire
I have to say, I don't agree... yes, many Americans pride themselves on self-reliance, but the entire history of the American economy is underpinned by the rule of law... for example, secure property rights and rights of contract, including for foreigners and (lately) members of historically disfavored minority groups, which sense of security encourages a sense of safety in one's investments. The Americans could not have been as successful as they were without the rule of law. The bottom line is, you ought to get a fair shake in an American court regardless of who you are, and if you don't, I and a lot of other Americans would have a big problem with that.

Now, when law bleeds into international relations and the accompanying politics, we are into a whole other can of worms. But I would say that a sense of procedural (as opposed to substantive) fairness is inculcated in most of us as young children, and it sticks with us through life...
Again, I’m skeptical. “Secure property rights and rights of contract.” You mean, as in England, Scotland, the Netherlands (etc., etc.) going back to at least the 17th century? Just look at the detailed history of the English civil war, a time of tremendous conflict and stress - it is estimated at least 300,000 people were killed in the war. The courts were full of legal petitions and lawsuits for redress, recovery of property etc. Apparently hundreds of thousands of such actions can still be documented, countless others, paperwork has been lost. Meanwhile, in the US, property of Cherokees, African Americans, and others has simply been expropriated or stolen, as recently as the nineteenth and even early twentieth century. This happened as a result of riots and mass murder, but also as a result of state and federal legislation.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 10:10 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234

Shock of all shocks, I actually agree with you on something. I believe what you're talking about is a fundamental underpinning of what it means to be American: what Thoreau called "civil disobedience". Everything from Ben Franklin to MLK to more questionable things like the NRA and the Black Power movement comes from a similar place and a similar mentality. Even frivolous things like Twisted Sister singing "We're Not Gonna Take It", Burning Man and the Barkley Marathons (look that one up) capture a bit of the spirit.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Yankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Shock of all shocks, I actually agree with you on something. I believe what you're talking about is a fundamental underpinning of what it means to be American: what Thoreau called "civil disobedience". Everything from Ben Franklin to MLK to more questionable things like the NRA and the Black Power movement comes from a similar place and a similar mentality. Even frivolous things like Twisted Sister singing "We're Not Gonna Take It", Burning Man and the Barkley Marathons (look that one up) capture a bit of the spirit.
This seems to me a bit like trying to understand modern Russia by reading Pushkin... it provides a bit of cultural insight, but ultimately, the US is, like the UK, a modern, mostly functional republic with a well-developed rule-of-law culture... "Sovereign citizens", assorted militant and mainstream civil society groups, and pop culture references notwithstanding...

Edit: I guess the UK is not technically a republic, of course, but functions mostly as if...

Last edited by Yankashire; Dec 31st 2019 at 4:05 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 4:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The US has refused a Home Office request to extradite Sacoolas to the UK, saying the request is highly inappropriate.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-51075235

Old Jan 11th 2020, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The US has refused a Home Office request to extradite Sacoolas to the UK, saying the request is highly inappropriate.
Next step should be to issue an Interpol arrest warrant, whereby she can be arrested if she lands in any of the Interpol signatory countries.

Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:04 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Next step should be to issue an Interpol arrest warrant, whereby she can be arrested if she lands in any of the Interpol signatory countries.
Do you think the UK government will do that Dave? And do you know if she can be tried 'in absentia' in the UK? I seem to recall that the EU wasn't keen on in absentia trials, but some EU countries do have these. (I know that the EU may not have a say shortly)
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

We all know the rule enforced by the U.S. - We do as we like and you do as we like.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As a Yank, I do firmly believe that this woman should return to the UK and turn herself in. She drove a vehicle negligently (wrong side of the street), hit a bike rider, killed him and fled the country. As a person of integrity and conscious, she should stand tall and accept her punishment.

Expatrick -- don't know where in hell you got that rule "We do as we like and you do as we like" sounds like someone with a deep hatred on their shoulder.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:22 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Rete
As a Yank, I do firmly believe that this woman should return to the UK and turn herself in. She drove a vehicle negligently (wrong side of the street), hit a bike rider, killed him and fled the country. As a person of integrity and conscious, she should stand tall and accept her punishment.
Yes. It's the only way the family of the lad who was killed will be able to begin to heal. I also think it's the only way that Sacoolas will be able to live with herself, even the young man's mother has said she feels sorry for her and that the family (through their solicitor) would ask for a suspended sentence instead of a custodial one.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If they don't want her extradited, then they should get her to surrender on her own. Intelligence Officer sounds more like Spook than Diplomat, so it doesn't make sense for them to prolong the news interest. They should just get it done and get it off the BBC and show some respect for the host country. The most powerful nation in the world should be able to get a lady to go to court for causing a traffic fatality.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Expatrick -- don't know where in hell you got that rule "We do as we like and you do as we like" sounds like someone with a deep hatred on their shoulder.
Probably an appreciation of history - ignorance of which you have just admitted to (IR 655 for example)!!
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:45 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Would you return and serve your time in Larkhall and have Jim Fenner as you prison officer? She probably watches bad girls and thinks that is what english jails are like. She wouldn't last a week in an english jail and she knows it.

Last edited by andyrebell; Jan 11th 2020 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:58 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

One would like to think that, if she doesn’t surrender, this woman will never again set foot outside the US. A kind of house arrest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.