Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

Old Oct 7th 2019, 7:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

Originally Posted by civilservant
Actually it protects from a civil judgement too - even non payment of debts such as a credit card.
Originally Posted by robin1234

Interesting, thanks.
At one time the US Embassy owed the most in outstanding congestion charges in London, but I seem to recall they were overtaken by the Nigerians. Something else they are immune from.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

It seems she’d only been in the U.K. a short while, so may have been confused about driving on the left or the right. Just a few seconds of disorientation, and you can have a head-on collision. So that raises a question; on US bases in the U.K., do they drive on the left or the right? Hopefully, on the left. If they drive on the right, it’s going to be very confusing when they drive out onto the road.
I suspect the right, because they mostly drive imported US vehicles which does not help at all.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

So that raises a question; on US bases in the U.K., do they drive on the left or the right? Hopefully, on the left. If they drive on the right, it’s going to be very confusing when they drive out onto the road.
Originally Posted by neill
I suspect the right, because they mostly drive imported US vehicles which does not help at all.
I worked at Upper Heyford for a time in the 1990's and driving was on the left, just as it is in any other part of the UK. It's worth remembering that, at least AFAIK, "US bases" in the UK are still prefixed by "RAF" and the Americans are only invited to use them.

As it happens, the base at Croughton where this accident took place, was a sub base of Upper Heyford back in the 90's, along with RAF Bicester. Now it's the only one of the three left operational.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 7:22 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

It seems she’d only been in the U.K. a short while, so may have been confused about driving on the left or the right. Just a few seconds of disorientation, and you can have a head-on collision. So that raises a question; on US bases in the U.K., do they drive on the left or the right? Hopefully, on the left. If they drive on the right, it’s going to be very confusing when they drive out onto the road.
I think the US bases are RAF installations so the road layout would be to the left

Last edited by dc koop; Oct 7th 2019 at 7:30 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 7:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller

As it happens, the base at Croughton where this accident took place, was a sub base of Upper Heyford back in the 90's, along with RAF Bicester. Now it's the only one of the three left operational.
Croughton is used as a base for the US Intelligence community.

To be living there and have family immunity, the ladies husband must be quite a senior member of that community. There is noway in a month of Sundays the US would let her be questioned about the time of day, let alone anything else.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
There is noway in a month of Sundays the US would let her be questioned about the time of day, let alone anything else.
I don't think most people expected any different tbh
Old Oct 16th 2019, 12:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Croughton is used as a base for the US Intelligence community.

To be living there and have family immunity, the ladies husband must be quite a senior member of that community. There is noway in a month of Sundays the US would let her be questioned about the time of day, let alone anything else.
Few people get full diplomatic immunity and it would be unusual for an intelligence operative based at a RAF base to have it. As they do not appear on the Diplomatic List then that would reinforce that assumption. Technical staff have very limited immunity which usually only applies during the execution of their duties. It’s now being reported that the lady in question may have incorrectly been granted immunity before she departed the UK. If so the UK could request extradition. It’ll be up to the US authorities whether to grant it however this seems very unlikely at the moment.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 2:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I just read that President Trump met the parents at the WH, then tried to get them to meet Mrs Sacoolas. A reality TV photo op.

This is what Trump seems to think his job is ...

Last edited by robin1234; Oct 16th 2019 at 2:21 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 2:54 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...-traffic-death

You are going to be hard pushed to find a picture of her husband online, my guess is maybe his high school yearbook if he was not given a new name... even the pictures of her look like they could be from a long time ago.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 2:59 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I just read that President Trump met the parents at the WH, then tried to get them to meet Mrs Sacoolas. A reality TV photo op.

What an erudite analysis. And behind this door... Shameful and classless to spring that on them. Kudos to the poor parents for not being manipulated like this.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 3:58 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Two things there, they were badly advised to have gone to the US in the first place, and then even worse advice to have gone to the WH, they should have realised that Trump would try to use it as a publicity stunt.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Few people get full diplomatic immunity and it would be unusual for an intelligence operative based at a RAF base to have it. As they do not appear on the Diplomatic List then that would reinforce that assumption. Technical staff have very limited immunity which usually only applies during the execution of their duties. It’s now being reported that the lady in question may have incorrectly been granted immunity before she departed the UK. If so the UK could request extradition. It’ll be up to the US authorities whether to grant it however this seems very unlikely at the moment.
Indeed, it is very unusual for immunity to cover people working away from the Embassy. But in the case of those at this RAF base I believe there is a special agreement in place that grants it to them, and in some cases their families.

I have seen it said that now she is back in the States she doesn't have immunity, but the way those comments were written conveys the understanding that is because she is no longer in the UK. The only comments implying she didn't have immunity at all, that I saw, came from the Dunn family lawyer. The information I have read has been poorly written and not clear in its meaning at all. However that premise is given some credence by the speed with which the Americans removed her from the UK, and the fact they appear to have used military transport to take her home.

Old Oct 18th 2019, 12:09 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, it is very unusual for immunity to cover people working away from the Embassy. But in the case of those at this RAF base I believe there is a special agreement in place that grants it to them, and in some cases their families.

I have seen it said that now she is back in the States she doesn't have immunity, but the way those comments were written conveys the understanding that is because she is no longer in the UK. The only comments implying she didn't have immunity at all, that I saw, came from the Dunn family lawyer. The information I have read has been poorly written and not clear in its meaning at all. However that premise is given some credence by the speed with which the Americans removed her from the UK, and the fact they appear to have used military transport to take her home.
SOP for US military and diplomatic personnel, immunity or not. The Cavalese cable car disaster springs to mind. A slap on the wrist when they get home, maybe dismissed from service, but that’s it.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 1:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to overcome my habit of avoiding Trump videos and began watching a clip of him talking about the meeting. That didn't last long, he started talking about the 'beautiful meeting' and the 'beautiful family' and I reached my tolerance level.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 12:43 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

My tolerance lasts about 5 seconds into hearing his voice, something about it is like squeaky chalk on a blackboard for me so I do my best to read what he has said rather than listen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.