Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Upsides of turning 65

Upsides of turning 65

Old Sep 7th 2018, 3:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upsides of turning 65

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
There is going to be a lot of people commuting to work with their Zimmer frames at this rate!
Yep. It's those whose job is very physical that I feel sorriest for. Imagine being a bricklayer, or a nurse turning patients, when you're 70 Maybe litigating employee injuries is the field we should all be getting into.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

I read in the news that in Russia it's 60 for men and 55 for women, and they want to raise it and there've been demonstrations and Putin's popularity has dropped. And they only want to raise it gradually to 65 and 60 or 63.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 4:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Use the history as a challenge. Break the chain!

M has proved his male family history wrong for dying young. He has now outlived his father and grandfather by more than 20 years. His father died at 42 and grandfather died at 45 ( he found this out when we were first married as he wasn't raised by his parents) He had a massive heart attack at 60 but has been chugging along doing what the doctors tell him and then also doing what they tell him not to do! He is determined we will still be riding trikes and motorcycles long after we retire and acting like kids. It is hard to keep up with him.

I am working on it... I do not smoke or drink heavily so that will hopefully add some years for me, but I was exposed to 2nd hand smoke for the first 20 years of my life, so that might have deducted some points.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 2:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It was 66-1/2 for me here in the US. I didn't want to retire. I wanted to continue working until at least age 70 and perhaps onward. Unfortunately, an accident took that option out of the equation. I hate retirement. Hate it with a passion. It is just plain boring.

Jsmth, I grew up in a household of smokers. I have smoked since I was 16 and got parental permission. I still smoke today. I'm now 70 and still going strong. No heart disease, no cancer, and low blood pressure. Regardless of what the so called experts like celebrity doctors like Dr. Oz or any other researchers have concluded, your likelihood of a long life is in your genes, no, not the jeans, and even then it can be overcome by regular medical visits, using proper medications to correct problems, etc. I have lived with type 2 diabetes for over 20 years and with proper use of meds and eating properly have lost over 40 lbs and have sustained A1C numbers of between 5.2 and 6.0 over the last 2-1/2 years. My mother died at age 62. I've already passed that age by 8 years and will most likely live until my 90's if my genes follow my paternal side of the family (which I know it does). Remember these researchers are the ones that first tell you that coffee is good for you and then next year it is bad for you, as an example. Research depends on the subjects used and all test results are slanted to reveal what they want to find.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

On the plus side Trump is working towards reducing life expectancy so there will be more in the social security pool for those that survive.

https://sciencetranslationblog.wordpress.com/2018/08/29/global-air-pollution-decrease-life-expectancy-by-1-year/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2012/09/21/where-life-expectancy-is-falling-in-one-map/?utm_term=.95049768da37
Old Sep 7th 2018, 6:27 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Yep. It's those whose job is very physical that I feel sorriest for. Imagine being a bricklayer, or a nurse turning patients, when you're 70
Yes, I agree. I've almost always worked somewhat active jobs, though no heavy lifting. Schoolteaching kept me hopping and I also did some home health care work when the teaching got too crazy for me.

But I don't think I could do either job full-time now that I'm in my mid-60s. So I can't imagine doing some seriously heavy physical job at my stage of life , and I'm in relatively robust health for my age!

Last edited by WEBlue; Sep 7th 2018 at 7:38 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Yes, I agree. I've almost always worked somewhat active jobs, though no heavy lifting. Schoolteaching kept me hopping and I also did some home health care work when the teaching got too crazy for me.

But I don't think I could do either job full-time now that I'm in my mid-60s. So I can't imagine doing some seriously heavy physical job at my age , and I'm in relatively robust health for my age!
My job is fairly physical, lots of equipment QC which means emptying and filling large incubating water baths and lifting heavy glass containers and boxes. I like to be fair and not let my age or gender dictate what I can and cannot do but by the end of the week I can feel pretty knackered from being on my feet all day. I guess I have at least 18 months more of it.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

It is true that genetics are very important to longevity but so is life style. There is too much uncertainty to depend on genetics alone. My father was a heavy smoker, diagnosed with lung cancer at 56 and died at age 63. My mother used snuff for 75 years and died at age 91. So where does that leave me? At 70 I don’t smoke , run, eat a very healthy diet, can still wear same Navy uniform from my 20’s. My bp, lipids, etc are in ideal range. I may be wasting a lot of effort maintaining a healthy lifestyle but when I look around at 99% of my age group I don’t think so.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree genes play a role. On my moms side women have all lived into their 80s and 90s for the most part.

My dads side the men have all died in their 60s with one exception.

Of course this is only going back maybe 4 generations.

My moms dad is still living at 83 or 84.

I seem to have more genes from my dads side however based on the ailments I have.

I see a doctor when needed. Routine physicals are not covered so those are not something I have done and doctors need a medical need for some tests in order for them to be covered.

As of a year ago my blood work was fine.

Cholesterol has not been checked in a few years but ir was fine last checked.

Blood pressure is always in ideal range.

Fortunantly cancer does not run on either side for the most part. My mom had cancer in 2003 (she smokes) and my great grandma had cancer in her 80s but no other known cancer in the family.

My dads side for men has mostly been heart related or secondary cause due to trying to fix heart issues.

My moms side for those who lived past 85 all had dementia so I am not sure I would want to live that long as I would rather not end life in such a way.

But only time will tell.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 8:06 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

My job is fairly physical, lots of equipment QC which means emptying and filling large incubating water baths and lifting heavy glass containers and boxes. I like to be fair and not let my age or gender dictate what I can and cannot do but by the end of the week I can feel pretty knackered from being on my feet all day. I guess I have at least 18 months more of it.
Wow, this sounds like something I couldn't do full time at my age. I had to cut back from 5 days a week to 4 when I was teaching in my mid-50s (that was before I gave it up completely & switched careers)--too much time on my feet & yelling, but no heavy lifting like you're doing! That job sounds good for your bones if you've done it a long time--bet you won't suffer from osteoporosis later on....

The home health care I switched into was easier than teaching (both mentally & physically!) Some clients only wanted a chat and a hot cuppa something, though some wanted heavy housework. Mostly it was bed-making, cooking, helping dress & bathe. No actual lifting of the client was allowed, though some big, unsteady folks would "lean" on me pretty hard for a walk.... Lifting of the client was always done by a team of two strong young care workers with a lifting belt, or by machines (hoists), thank goodness!

Originally Posted by ddsrph
It is true that genetics are very important to longevity but so is life style. There is too much uncertainty to depend on genetics alone. My father was a heavy smoker, diagnosed with lung cancer at 56 and died at age 63. My mother used snuff for 75 years and died at age 91. So where does that leave me? At 70 I don’t smoke , run, eat a very healthy diet, can still wear same Navy uniform from my 20’s. My bp, lipids, etc are in ideal range. I may be wasting a lot of effort maintaining a healthy lifestyle but when I look around at 99% of my age group I don’t think so.
Both my parents lived into their mid-80s as did 3/4s of my grandparents. My mum's still going at nearly 90, so I feel somewhat optimistic.

No dementia in anyone (that I know of) --though my dad did get a little weird in the last few years of his life . He had lots of health problems brewing--underactive thyroid, CLL, lung problems in spite of quitting smoking for decades--so I have to give him a break on this.

Last edited by WEBlue; Sep 8th 2018 at 8:12 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

I spent a lot of my 20's in physical jobs, and now at almost 40, those years have caught up to me, mainly in foot and knee pain/troubles.

My dad was in a physical job from 1978 until 2016 when it retired at 58. Luckily he was in a state government type job so had the option to retire fairly young with a decent retirement payment from state retirement funds otherwise not sure he would have been able to get to 65, physical works takes a toll on the body.

My mom was a paramedic up until her mid 40's but had to quit due to back problems.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Wow, this sounds like something I couldn't do full time at my age. I had to cut back from 5 days a week to 4 when I was teaching in my mid-50s (that was before I gave it up completely & switched careers)--too much time on my feet & yelling, but no heavy lifting like you're doing! That job sounds good for your bones if you've done it a long time--bet you won't suffer from osteoporosis later on....
I actually changed careers as well. Went from nursing to Lab work. When I became Lab Director I thought life would be easier but unfortunately in the last 2 years we have tripled our work load and my budget doesn't allow me to hire extra staff. So I guess 65 needs to hurry up...17 months and counting for me!