Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Upsides of turning 65

Upsides of turning 65

Old Aug 15th 2018, 1:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upsides of turning 65

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
There's a huge income area between 'low' and 'wealthy'.
Precisely -- and it is that area that always gets glossed over. In our town, you have to make application to request senior property tax exemption (and be subjected to a means test, but that's another story . . .), and the few wealthy people I know don't bother to apply. What isn't fair is that people's savings are taken into consideration when applying for the exemption (which is about $1,500 per annum, a drop in the ocean on taxes around here), so one can be living on a small fixed income, but because you have saved for your future and put some money away, you are penalized.

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I started this off in a light hearted manner, but also because I seriously worry how we will cope when we do both retire. In May I appealed our property taxes for this year mostly because of the storm damage that had happened to our home. At that time I was reminded about the 65 exemption.

We are not wealthy but we also don't live on the breadline. We have to spend a lot of money on healthcare even though we both have fairly good health insurance. Looking to the future a break on any of the ongoing never ending bills pleased me. One less thing to worry about. I don't feel I am cheating anyone out of a "burden". We have paid school taxes for the last 28 years, we have done a lot of fund raising for our school district when our kids were going to school here and we still do support many of their events.

Anymore perks I find for over 65's I guess will need to be vetted first before I accept them!

​​​​​​
Grab any tax breaks you can find! You deserve anything you are eligible for! Unfortunately, trying to ensure that one is secure in later life can backfire in today's society. Like you we have been involved in charitable causes in our town, paid our taxes faithfully for decades, but now we are penalized for having done our best to save. (Other local towns offer a straight amount deduction on property taxes once residents reach 65, but not mine!)
Old Aug 15th 2018, 2:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Next year I'll be 65 and then will no longer have to purchase a Saskatchewan fishing license.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 3:47 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I started this off in a light hearted manner, but also because I seriously worry how we will cope when we do both retire. In May I appealed our property taxes for this year mostly because of the storm damage that had happened to our home. At that time I was reminded about the 65 exemption.

We are not wealthy but we also don't live on the breadline. We have to spend a lot of money on healthcare even though we both have fairly good health insurance. Looking to the future a break on any of the ongoing never ending bills pleased me. One less thing to worry about. I don't feel I am cheating anyone out of a "burden". We have paid school taxes for the last 28 years, we have done a lot of fund raising for our school district when our kids were going to school here and we still do support many of their events.

Anymore perks I find for over 65's I guess will need to be vetted first before I accept them!
​​​​​​
I think I owe you an apology, Sugarmooma, for turning your light-hearted celebration of some of the upsides of turning 65 in a somewhat somber direction. My musing that the school tax exemption for over-65s made me feel weird was an expression of my own surprise at how such a policy strikes me. As a teacher of many years in both the US and the UK, and as a parent of adult children who attended public/state schools in both countries and who have not yet been able to step onto the property ladder in either country, I find myself surprised that the confluence of these two life events, owning a home (stead) and turning 65, can result in this particular exemption in this particular country.

But I think I'll shut up now. I've done some research and see that this exemption is common here, in many US states. I'm glad that you have this tax relief, SM!
Old Aug 15th 2018, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I was just wondering if you'd accept a tax break that you seem to be quite strongly against, and that you feel disadvantages younger people.
Yes I would... just as on the flip side I pay certain taxes that I also think are extremely poor public policy.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I think I owe you an apology, Sugarmooma, for turning your light-hearted celebration of some of the upsides of turning 65 in a somewhat somber direction. My musing that the school tax exemption for over-65s made me feel weird was an expression of my own surprise at how such a policy strikes me. As a teacher of many years in both the US and the UK, and as a parent of adult children who attended public/state schools in both countries and who have not yet been able to step onto the property ladder in either country, I find myself surprised that the confluence of these two life events, owning a home (stead) and turning 65, can result in this particular exemption in this particular country.

But I think I'll shut up now. I've done some research and see that this exemption is common here, in many US states. I'm glad that you have this tax relief, SM!
No apology needed mate.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Next year I'll be 65 and then will no longer have to purchase a Saskatchewan fishing license.
Yeah. Go for it!
I just checked for Texas. Over 65 you get a reduced rate. Every little bit helps!
Old Aug 25th 2018, 12:13 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

So the other half turned 65 last Sunday. On Monday I turned in the over 65 exemption form for paying school taxes, it will make a big difference on our yearly property tax bill. On Tuesday we received his British pension approval letter. On Wednesday he got his Part A Medicare coverage. He has to have a surgical procedure tomorrow and will probably be an over night stay so hopefully the Medicare coverage will help with what his regular insurance doesnt cover.

So much form filling though! My turn next!
Oh, that made me feel bad. I got my British State Pension at age 60, one of the last to do so! It's not much, but it makes me smile when it lands in my bank account every 13 weeks (elected this type payment). Poor M will start receiving it when the pound is in the toilet though.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mallory
Oh, that made me feel bad. I got my British State Pension at age 60, one of the last to do so! It's not much, but it makes me smile when it lands in my bank account every 13 weeks (elected this type payment). Poor M will start receiving it when the pound is in the toilet though.
Er yes, the exchange rate sucks right now.

I will be in the group that has to wait until 66 to get mine. It keeps going up!
Old Sep 7th 2018, 12:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Er yes, the exchange rate sucks right now.

I will be in the group that has to wait until 66 to get mine. It keeps going up!
Another upside of turning 65 - you're too young for a UK state pension!
Old Sep 7th 2018, 12:53 am
Account Closed

Another upside of turning 65 - you're too young for a UK state pension!

The goal post keeps moving!

Last edited by scrubbedexpat097; Sep 7th 2018 at 1:02 am.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 1:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

That certainly sucks.

It is still 65 in Canada, but one can start claiming at 60 but they will reduce it 0.6% for each month you take it before 65, but if you wait until 70 to claim it, one can potentially get 42% more vs taking it at 65, if taken between 65 and 70 they increase it 0.7% for every month after 65.

Based on the male family history in my family, not sure I'll make it to 65, so may claim at 60 just so I can have some time in "retirement".
Old Sep 7th 2018, 2:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

They do.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 2:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That certainly sucks.

It is still 65 in Canada, but one can start claiming at 60 but they will reduce it 0.6% for each month you take it before 65, but if you wait until 70 to claim it, one can potentially get 42% more vs taking it at 65, if taken between 65 and 70 they increase it 0.7% for every month after 65.

Based on the male family history in my family, not sure I'll make it to 65, so may claim at 60 just so I can have some time in "retirement".
Use the history as a challenge. Break the chain!

M has proved his male family history wrong for dying young. He has now outlived his father and grandfather by more than 20 years. His father died at 42 and grandfather died at 45 ( he found this out when we were first married as he wasn't raised by his parents) He had a massive heart attack at 60 but has been chugging along doing what the doctors tell him and then also doing what they tell him not to do! He is determined we will still be riding trikes and motorcycles long after we retire and acting like kids. It is hard to keep up with him.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 3:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It does, and it's a PITA. It's 67 for me in Oz. There's talk about increasing it to 70.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 3:24 am
Account Closed

It does, and it's a PITA. It's 67 for me in Oz. There's talk about increasing it to 70.
There is going to be a lot of people commuting to work with their Zimmer frames at this rate!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.