Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Upsides of turning 65

Upsides of turning 65

Old Aug 13th 2018, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upsides of turning 65

Originally Posted by WEBlue
This sounds like the "homestead exemption", which lowers our property taxes.

Many states & municipalities have some form of homestead exemption. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_exemption
Nope, we already have a homestead exemption. This one is just for over 65's to remove the local isd school taxes. It may just be our county that does it, but it makes a huge difference in what we will pay.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 1:08 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury

When back in the UK earlier this year I used the park and ride in York. The ride part being a normal bus service. The poor bus driver couldn’t understand why I didn’t have a bus pass, and explaining I was American and we didn’t have bus passes, in my best London accent didn’t help matters much.
I bet that conversation went round and round the driver's head all day, and they were still none the wiser
Old Aug 14th 2018, 8:54 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Nope, we already have a homestead exemption. This one is just for over 65's to remove the local isd school taxes. It may just be our county that does it, but it makes a huge difference in what we will pay.
So all over-65s can avoid paying school taxes? I'm not sure why, but this strikes me as very strange....
Old Aug 14th 2018, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

So all over-65s can avoid paying school taxes? I'm not sure why, but this strikes me as very strange....
I think it's poor public policy in that it shifts the tax burden from older to younger people regardless of wealth. It's not as though most older folks haven't benefited from public education in the past.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 12:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Our property taxes are city, county, drainage, hospital and school. The county policy is to exempt over 65 residential property owners from the school taxes. You can only do it on one property so if you have other properties then you are not exempt on those.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 12:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I think it's poor public policy in that it shifts the tax burden from older to younger people regardless of wealth. It's not as though most older folks haven't benefited from public education in the past.
So it doesn't matter that in the past older people paid this "burden" year after year ? Let me just run back to the courthouse and tell them to rip my exempt form up...I'll carry on paying
Old Aug 15th 2018, 12:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

So it doesn't matter that in the past older people paid this "burden" year after year ? Let me just run back to the courthouse and tell them to rip my exempt form up...I'll carry on paying
No way Jose. Every single one of us would, and do, take a tax break if it's offered to us by the relevant tax authority. If anyone has a problem with any piece of tax legislation they have the option to lobby for change.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 12:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
No way Jose. Every single one of us would, and do, take a tax break if it's offered to us by the relevant tax authority. If anyone has a problem with any piece of tax legislation they have the option to lobby for change.

....exactly! And what we save will go toward the massive Flood Insurance we have to pay every year now that the flood plains have been re-zoned since last year's hurricane. Our policy payment has doubled!
Old Aug 15th 2018, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Why stop with education? After all, older people have been paying this "burden" for other services too.

It's poor public policy because it transfers a burden regardless of ability to pay. Far better to target property tax relief to those with lower income as opposed to those in a particular age group.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 2:22 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Why stop with education? After all, older people have been paying this "burden" for other services too.

It's poor public policy because it transfers a burden regardless of ability to pay. Far better to target property tax relief to those with lower income as opposed to those in a particular age group.
Older people are frequently on a low, fixed income. They have spent their lives paying taxes and attempting to save for their later years. Cutting them a little slack on property taxes (any part of the taxes, not just the education portion) could be seen as a way of saying thanks for all the years of supporting the town and passing the baton to the younger generations. Older people do a lot In terms of volunteering, helping the community in many ways; but high taxes that they can no longer afford to pay drive them away. Not assisting them with a small tax break is short sighted.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

Older people are frequently on a low, fixed income. They have spent their lives paying taxes and attempting to save for their later years. Cutting them a little slack on property taxes could be seen as a way of saying thanks for all the years of supporting the town and passing the baton to the younger generations. Older people do a lot In terms of volunteering, helping the community in many ways; but high taxes that they can no longer afford to pay drive them away. Not assisting them with a small tax break is short sighted.

My point is that it should be based on income, not just on age. I certainly agree that many seniors have low income - and should be helped - but why move a tax burden away from those seniors - of whom there are also many - who are wealthy onto younger people?

Also wondering where over 65 renters - who both effectively indirectly pay property taxes through rent and are more likely to be low income - fit into this?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Aug 15th 2018 at 2:38 am.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 5:11 am
Concierge

My point is that it should be based on income, not just on age. I certainly agree that many seniors have low income - and should be helped - but why move a tax burden away from those seniors - of whom there are also many - who are wealthy onto younger people?

Also wondering where over 65 renters - who both effectively indirectly pay property taxes through rent and are more likely to be low income - fit into this?
There's a huge income area between 'low' and 'wealthy'.

Just curious, if you lived where Sugarmooma does and were of an age where you weren't required to pay this tax, I'm assuming that you'd decline the offer and pay it anyway?
Old Aug 15th 2018, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
There's a huge income area between 'low' and 'wealthy'.

Just curious, if you lived where Sugarmooma does and were of an age where you weren't required to pay this tax, I'm assuming that you'd decline the offer and pay it anyway?
Why would you assume that and why would it have the slightest bearing on whether or not said tax break was good public policy
Old Aug 15th 2018, 10:53 am
Concierge

Why would you assume that and why would it have the slightest bearing on whether or not said tax break was good public policy
I was just wondering if you'd accept a tax break that you seem to be quite strongly against, and that you feel disadvantages younger people.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 11:30 am
Account Closed

I started this off in a light hearted manner, but also because I seriously worry how we will cope when we do both retire. In May I appealed our property taxes for this year mostly because of the storm damage that had happened to our home. At that time I was reminded about the 65 exemption.

We are not wealthy but we also don't live on the breadline. We have to spend a lot of money on healthcare even though we both have fairly good health insurance. Looking to the future a break on any of the ongoing never ending bills pleased me. One less thing to worry about. I don't feel I am cheating anyone out of a "burden". We have paid school taxes for the last 28 years, we have done a lot of fund raising for our school district when our kids were going to school here and we still do support many of their events.

Anymore perks I find for over 65's I guess will need to be vetted first before I accept them!

​​​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.