Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Updating Social Security Card details

Updating Social Security Card details

Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Updating Social Security Card details

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Of course there are; but that is not in dispute. PF has asserted that not updating your status details with the SSO will have a negative impact on your credit worthiness.

That is simply, and outrageously, untrue.
No, I believe you have put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5. ..... What it says on your SS card has no bearing on your credit score, and there is no reasons for the credit agencies to know or care about your visa status as it isn't part of your credit score. And if that is all you were saying I would agree.

But your visa status does impact the rate at which you might he offered credit and indeed whether you are offered any particular type of loan or credit facility, and your second sentence I quoted above conflate the two issues, and then reaches a conclusion which isn't actually correct.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 9th 2017 at 10:04 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you're on a work visa the card is over-printed in red "Valid for work only with authorization", or something like that. Apparently if you have a green card your SS card doesn't have that wording - which means that my original SS card was issued in error with the wording back in 2001 as I never held a work visa.
I think that what is or is not on the SS card has changed over time so it probably depends on when it was issued.

My SS card dates from 1987 when I was on an H-1B visa and doesn't have anything "extra" printed on it.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 11:23 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

No, I believe you have put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5. ..... What it says on your SS card has no bearing on your credit score, and there is no reasons for the credit agencies to know or care about your visa status as it isn't part of your credit score. And if that is all you were saying I would agree.

But your visa status does impact the rate at which you might he offered credit and indeed whether you are offered any particular type of loan or credit facility, and your second sentence I quoted above conflate the two issues, and then reaches a conclusion which isn't actually correct.
I agree.

What I don't agree with is:

1. What is written on your SSN making any difference;
2. What is recorded at the SSO having any bearing on a credit application.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 6:57 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
The "I didn't know about this" argument is not convincing. If you worked for WF, then I'd listen to you.

Update your details or don't. I honestly don't care.

WF have strict protocols in place regarding which US status gets which credit line and how much. It's in your interest to make sure that the details they have are correct.
Look I'd post a copy of my credit report from Equifax if it wasn't so private. Nothing about immigration status on there. I got it directly from Equifax in writing, it's not from some stupid website.

Last edited by Steve_; Jul 10th 2017 at 7:11 am.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 7:02 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
I think that what is or is not on the SS card has changed over time so it probably depends on when it was issued.

My SS card dates from 1987 when I was on an H-1B visa and doesn't have anything "extra" printed on it.
Not going to go through all the details again (they're here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...n-only-898670/) but any SS card issued prior to 1996 was either a regular card if you were authorized to work or had "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" printed on it. Back then even tourists could get them.

If you've never updated your records with the SSA at some point this will cause you a problem. For example if you're ever run through E-verify.

In 2003, Congress passed a law that allows the SSA to seize FICA contributions made by people still using SSNs issued after 2002 without work authorization.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 7:15 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

I'm not sure that's legal. It's definitely not legal in California. Give me an example. They can do it in relation to non-resident aliens but people who are resident in the US it's a bit complicated.

A US Govt. backed mortgage requires you to be a US citizen, that can have a bearing on things.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 11:46 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...rtunity-rights

"When You Apply For Credit, Creditors May Not...
Discourage you from applying or reject your application because of your race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age, or because you receive public assistance.
Consider your race, sex, or national origin, although you may be asked to disclose this information if you want to. It helps federal agencies enforce anti-discrimination laws. A creditor may consider your immigration status and whether you have the right to stay in the country long enough to repay the debt."
Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
A US Govt. backed mortgage requires you to be a US citizen
Nope. I got an FHA loan over 20 years ago and I wasn't a citizen
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:10 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Nope. I got an FHA loan over 20 years ago and I wasn't a citizen
Could the rules have changed in the last 20 years? Didn't 2008/09 see a tightening of regulations?
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:22 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

A creditor may consider your immigration status and whether you have the right to stay in the country long enough to repay the debt[/B]."
NO ONE IS DISPUTING THAT.

What I am, attempting (though you're not listening) to correct you on is that your record at the SSA factors into this. It doesn't.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:28 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Could the rules have changed in the last 20 years? Didn't 2008/09 see a tightening of regulations?
No, you can still get an FHA loan as a permanent resident and also as a non-permanent resident with some restrictions
https://hudgov.prod.parature.com/lin...-FHA-financing

"Do borrowers have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for FHA financing?

United States (U .S.) citizenship is not required for eligibility. The lender must determine the residency status of the borrower based on information provided on the application and other applicable documentation. In no case is a Social Security card sufficient to prove immigration or work status.

A borrower with lawful permanent resident alien status may be eligible provided the borrower satisfies the same requirements, terms and conditions as those for U.S. citizens. The file must include evidence of the permanent residency and indicate that the borrower is a lawful permanent resident alien on the Uniform Residential Loan Application (URLA). The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) within the Department of Homeland Security provides evidence of lawful, permanent residency status.

A borrower who is a non-permanent resident alien may be eligible provided:
• the property will be the borrower’s principal residence;
• the borrower has a valid Social Security Number (SSN), except for those employed by the World Bank, a foreign embassy, or equivalent employer identified by HUD;
• the borrower is eligible to work in the U.S., as evidenced by the Employment Authorization Document issued by the USCIS; and
• the borrower satisfies the same requirements, terms and conditions as those for U.S. citizens. "
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:28 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I'm intending to go visit SS, as I can see there could be an impact as I get older and possibly have more dealings with them.

That said, I have never had an issue with obtaining credit (quite the opposite actually) or loans, or mortgages. Nor does it (or has it ever) appeared on my Credit Reports. It has simply never come up.

Card was issued in '96, if that makes any difference.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:30 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

As some of you may know, I have what may be construed as an unhealthy obsession with credit cards for the purpose of acquiring miles and points.

Mrs tonrob and I have been approved for a rather large* number of credit cards over the last 8 years and been declined for relatively few**. We both have "not authorized to work" on our SS cards as neither of us could ever be hooped to update this. Spans across all major and many (national) mid-sized banks, including a representation from WF.

* very large
** hardly any at all

Last edited by tonrob; Jul 10th 2017 at 1:33 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Doesn't look like it

https://mymortgageinsider.com/mortga...ork-visa-7634/

http://www.fhanewsblog.com/2011/05/f...enship-status/

Last edited by rbackhouse; Jul 10th 2017 at 1:33 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:33 pm
Banned

United States (U .S.) citizenship is not required for eligibility. The lender must determine the residency status of the borrower based on information provided on the application and other applicable documentation. In no case is a Social Security card sufficient to prove immigration or work status.
You continue to undermine your own assertion that a trip to the SSA is required to update a persons immigration status with the stuff you're quoting!

Please _stop_.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jul 10th 2017 at 1:36 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.