UnoTelly/UnoDNS

Old Jul 31st 2012, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about
Default UnoTelly/UnoDNS

I just found this new service that allows me to (finally) use the BBC iplayer on my PS3 (and Mac);

http://www.unotelly.com

It's based on changing your primary and secondary DNS servers, and so doesn't require all traffic to go via a VPN link. There's an initial free trial and then it's $5 per month.

We watched Horizon in HD last night, but it did stall quite a few times. I am not sure how they get around the region check, as I don't believe my Comcast IP address has been changed?
I assume they intercept the DNS lookups for the BBC etc and route them via UK servers ?

Anyway, it could be a good alternative to the many VPN services out there and it does appear to be much faster (I currently use StrongVPN).
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: UnoTelly/UnoDNS

Experience so far has been patchy. BBC sites stopped working altogether last night.

Perhaps all the #NBCFail customers are overloading their London servers?

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
I just found this new service that allows me to (finally) use the BBC iplayer on my PS3 (and Mac);

http://www.unotelly.com

It's based on changing your primary and secondary DNS servers, and so doesn't require all traffic to go via a VPN link. There's an initial free trial and then it's $5 per month.

We watched Horizon in HD last night, but it did stall quite a few times. I am not sure how they get around the region check, as I don't believe my Comcast IP address has been changed?
I assume they intercept the DNS lookups for the BBC etc and route them via UK servers ?

Anyway, it could be a good alternative to the many VPN services out there and it does appear to be much faster (I currently use StrongVPN).
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
I am not sure how they get around the region check, as I don't believe my Comcast IP address has been changed?
Looking at the info, I'm pretty sure that is exactly what they're doing. An interesting approach. How is your Strongvpn experience at the moment? I'm getting a lot of buffering regardless of which data center I go through.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
Looking at the info, I'm pretty sure that is exactly what they're doing. An interesting approach. How is your Strongvpn experience at the moment? I'm getting a lot of buffering regardless of which data center I go through.
Yes I did a traceroute to bbc.co.uk and it went to an Uno owned server in the UK.

StrongVPN is buffering for me too. We managed to watch some of the Olympic opening ceremony, but it did keep stalling. Tried TunnelBear last night and it stalled too, but perhaps a little less frequently.

I mostly download programmes on the Mac for later viewing on the PS3. But it would be nice to have a direct iplayer solution on the PS3 ... if it worked reliably.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably a beeb issue, at this point.

They had issues yesterday anyway.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/36...ympics-bbc.htm
Old Aug 28th 2012, 4:23 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's probably a beeb issue, at this point.

They had issues yesterday anyway.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/36...ympics-bbc.htm
i thought thats what was happening!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

arran29 will become famous soon enough

I use astrill.com and don't usually have problems with the Beeb, watch The One Show most nights and Graham Norton when he's on. All the really important stuff
Old Oct 20th 2012, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

speedway84 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've tried both the free trials of unblock-us and UnoTelly. Both seem to offer pretty much the same basic dns service, but Unotelly has some additional benefits, like being able to use their dns shifting so you can access multiple countries DNS service, so if you want to watch BBC one night then Netflix US another night you can.