Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Unopened Samsung Tablet- Checked Baggage or Cabin Bag?

Unopened Samsung Tablet- Checked Baggage or Cabin Bag?

Old Nov 27th 2017, 11:30 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unopened Samsung Tablet- Checked Baggage or Cabin Bag?

Originally Posted by Jack8602
I've flown in and out of the US probably around 60-70 times since the 'Must be able to turn device on' rule was put in - every time i fly i have around 3 or 4 devices with me. Not once have I been asked to power them on. I always keep the power cables with the devices too.

I'd never risk putting them in checked in baggage.
Both me and my daughter had our boarding passes flagged with the dreaded randomly selected SSSS mark when we flew back into the US on Sunday. This was in the US Pre Clearance at Dublin. We had to go through extra checks where we had to turn all our devices on. This is the first time I've ever been asked, but obviously it can happen
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 7:36 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Both me and my daughter had our boarding passes flagged with the dreaded randomly selected SSSS mark when we flew back into the US on Sunday. This was in the US Pre Clearance at Dublin. We had to go through extra checks where we had to turn all our devices on. This is the first time I've ever been asked, but obviously it can happen
US-bound flights have had the checks stepped up recently. I went through the whole charade at Hong Kong a few weeks ago prior to boarding a Boston flight.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I’d need stick something like that in the hood! I’ve also never bought an electronic item that didn’t have enough battery power to turn on when I bought it. However, if you go through security and it doesn’t turn on if asked, there are other checks they can make on the item to check it. I wouldn’t worry about it personally.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
At LAX recently I was asked to turn my iWatch on as I put it in the tray with it turned off.

Wasn't asked to turn my laptop on though.
What the heck is an iWatch?

I have an Apple Watch. In fact, my Series 0 fell apart and I replaced it with a Series 3, so I'm really curious about this alternative device of which you speak!
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 7:52 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I'm really curious about this alternative device of which you speak!
No, you’re not.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
What do you think they do with it? Try and kick a 60yd field goal with your bag across the tarmac?

I'm always wary about putting anything fragile in checked baggage.
Not only because there are videos on the net where the loaders might just as well be aiming for that 60 yarder but mostly because I have quite often flown with cantilever toolboxes loaded with 50lb of tools and those things don't need to be chucked any distance to puncture the average suitcase, wouldn't much fancy my luggage ending up under something similar...
Old Dec 5th 2017, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
What the heck is an iWatch?

I have an Apple Watch. In fact, my Series 0 fell apart and I replaced it with a Series 3, so I'm really curious about this alternative device of which you speak!

Eh, same thing - I have the series 3 too, it's fantastic.

I flew from LAX back into Denver Sunday morning and once again was asked to turn it on although the battery was dead and the officer didn't actually seem to care that much!