British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   United Airlines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/united-airlines-875307/)

TimFountain Apr 25th 2016 12:08 am

Re: United Airlines

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11913335)
Right now I fly exclusively BA TATL and AA domestic as I did so much TATL flying over the last year (dying family member sadly) that I achieved BA Gold status. I do tend to prefer BA over the other options for daytime UK flights from New York (Virgin, United) as on balance I think their service is better. I've also got the BA Chase card which gets me 10% off all bookings that are wholly on BA metal, plus 3 Avios per dollar spent with BA.

The IFE on their un-refurbed 747s is pretty dreadful, but the four-class 777s that usually share the JFK run have decent IFE, and the newly refurbed "super-hi J" 747s (with 86 business class seats) which frequently appear on that run now have the best IFE of all.

That was almost me 6 years ago, except it was AA TATL and domestic and BA from LHR to points east. I've flown over 3.6 million miles with AA, but sadly, when I moved to Portland, OR, I had to change to UA, which has been pretty frustrating.... Still, I'm lifetime EXP on AA and 1K on UA for the last 4 years, so it's not as bad as it could be!

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 25th 2016 1:20 am

Originally Posted by TimFountain (Post 11931216)
That was almost me 6 years ago, except it was AA TATL and domestic and BA from LHR to points east. I've flown over 3.6 million miles with AA, but sadly, when I moved to Portland, OR, I had to change to UA, which has been pretty frustrating.... Still, I'm lifetime EXP on AA and 1K on UA for the last 4 years, so it's not as bad as it could be!

Also explains global warming.

Scouse Express May 2nd 2016 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 11912514)
Googling the code (DL4355) did show a codeshare with Virgin... Just not sure who's actually operating.

That would be Virgin - Normally an Airbus A330

Jim.

cheers May 2nd 2016 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by AndFinally (Post 11912458)
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a captive to MileagePlus/Star Alliance and United but recently I've started to really question the condition of their aircraft.

The newer 737s and Airbuses are nice but the 757/767s are typically a mess, especially the ones in transatlantic service. They are dirty, beat up, old and have that unique "mature plane" smell. I've flown Delta back to the UK on several occasions and it's the same story. Even Virgin's product is looking a little dated now.

Who flies what here?

We flew United from Newark to Spain last year and what a shocker that was. The crew were so rude and we got food poisoning from whatever they served us for food.
Never again!

cheers May 2nd 2016 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 11919862)
I'm assuming you mean AMEX Membership Rewards. Be careful before you transfer them to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club to book an economy return as it might easily be one of the worst value options available to you because of the high fuel surcharges.

If you want to see if it's possible to save yourself hundreds of dollars, familiarize yourself with which airline programmes MR transfer into, and which of those programmes' miles can be used to book Virgin Atlantic or United with no (or just lower) taxes and fees.

I haven't got time to look into the detailed permutations for you (on holiday with the family at the minute), but if you spend an hour or two Googling and reading there's quite a fair chance to can do this much more cheaply. Pay particular attention to using Delta miles on Virgin (and Virgin miles on Delta, for that matter) and using other Star Alliance partners on United.

You know of course Delta owns Virgin.

markonline1 May 2nd 2016 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11937586)
You know of course Delta owns Virgin.

That's not strictly true. They own 49%.

TimFountain May 2nd 2016 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11931240)
Also explains global warming.

Plane flies whether I am on it or not. And some occupations require interaction with customers. Not all of us sit in a cube day after day.