British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   United Airlines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/united-airlines-875307/)

markcst Apr 6th 2016 6:55 pm

Re: United Airlines
 
Have to do AA for domestic stuff. Seats really uncomfortable even for 3 hour flights. You do get Pretzels now though, even if three times, in 8 flights, I been flown to the wrong airport as they just don't carry enough fuel to circle for an hour.


Will always do BA if I can over the pond, but only the 777. Parents just booked Premium Economy to come over but its on a 747 and the idea was they got some comfort upgrading to PE, but that plane is one of their oldest :(

tonrob Apr 6th 2016 7:46 pm

Re: United Airlines
 

Originally Posted by markcst (Post 11915538)
Have to do AA for domestic stuff. Seats really uncomfortable even for 3 hour flights. You do get Pretzels now though, even if three times, in 8 flights, I been flown to the wrong airport as they just don't carry enough fuel to circle for an hour.


Will always do BA if I can over the pond, but only the 777. Parents just booked Premium Economy to come over but its on a 747 and the idea was they got some comfort upgrading to PE, but that plane is one of their oldest :(

Yes, the PE on all BA 747s bar a very small subset ("Super Hi-J") is bloody awful. Another "one to avoid" apparently is economy on BA 787s where they've crammed in a particularly-absurd number of seats. Most (but not quite all) 777s are much better than the other options in economy and PE.

g1ant Apr 6th 2016 10:15 pm

Re: United Airlines
 

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 11915578)
Yes, the PE on all BA 747s bar a very small subset ("Super Hi-J") is bloody awful. Another "one to avoid" apparently is economy on BA 787s where they've crammed in a particularly-absurd number of seats. Most (but not quite all) 777s are much better than the other options in economy and PE.

Club World on the 787s is crappy too. Very narrow seats with nowhere to put stuff. No room to lay an ipad down even. I hated it. Will only travel in F on the 787 now. :p

First on the 787-9 is terrific. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

tonrob Apr 7th 2016 12:20 am

Re: United Airlines
 

Originally Posted by g1ant (Post 11915703)
Club World on the 787s is crappy too. Very narrow seats with nowhere to put stuff. No room to lay an ipad down even. I hated it. Will only travel in F on the 787 now. :p

First on the 787-9 is terrific. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

They're supposed to be the same width as on a 777, which is what I fly most often. Admittedly CW is narrow regardless. They're switching a 789 into the Boston rotation from October and I've been looking forward to it.

lansbury Apr 7th 2016 7:09 am

Re: United Airlines
 
United are 90 years old today.

rpjs Apr 7th 2016 2:39 pm

Re: United Airlines
 

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 11915578)
Yes, the PE on all BA 747s bar a very small subset ("Super Hi-J") is bloody awful. Another "one to avoid" apparently is economy on BA 787s where they've crammed in a particularly-absurd number of seats. Most (but not quite all) 777s are much better than the other options in economy and PE.

Supposedly economy on the 787-900s is a bit better as they've narrowed the aisles to allow a more normal seat width. There are rumours on Flyertalk that BA is going to retrofit some or all of its 777s to 10-abreast in economy. :eek:

rpjs Apr 7th 2016 2:39 pm

Re: United Airlines
 

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11915914)
United are 90 years old today.

I wonder if they'll make 100.

tonrob Apr 7th 2016 3:06 pm

Re: United Airlines
 

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11916259)
Supposedly economy on the 787-900s is a bit better as they've narrowed the aisles to allow a more normal seat width. There are rumours on Flyertalk that BA is going to retrofit some or all of its 777s to 10-abreast in economy. :eek:

Yikes! I sometimes walk back through there to inquire about the scotch situation in the rear galley. Guess I'll have to breathe in.

g1ant Apr 10th 2016 7:19 pm

Re: United Airlines
 

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 11916277)
Yikes! I sometimes walk back through there to inquire about the scotch situation in the rear galley. Guess I'll have to breathe in.

Don't do it. It's hell back there. :eek:

joto Apr 10th 2016 11:16 pm

Re: United Airlines
 

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 11916277)
Yikes! I sometimes walk back through there to inquire about the scotch situation in the rear galley. Guess I'll have to breathe in.



Only if I can go and inquire about the ice-cream situation in the B/C or F/C galley. ;)

g1ant Apr 11th 2016 7:01 am

Re: United Airlines
 

Originally Posted by joto (Post 11919261)
Only if I can go and inquire about the ice-cream situation in the B/C or F/C galley. ;)

Usually plentiful.
https://gyazo.com/2ea632d3d7e395e33d202ac02e80635d

iandallimore Apr 11th 2016 12:35 pm

Re: United Airlines
 
I've flown once with Virgin and Once with United now, my next upcoming flight is united. So far my experiences have led me to prefer Virgin - but the flight was practically empty and I ended up laying across the 4 central seats after a random ticket discount of £100... When I flew United, the plane back was so small a couple people made the comment of if it would even make it transatlantic.

Plus I prefer Virgin's frequent flyer program, even though they just upped the amount of miles needed for a first upgrade, I'll just be cashing in my american express welcome rewards for a return economy to ATL :)

tonrob Apr 11th 2016 3:18 pm

Re: United Airlines
 

Originally Posted by iandallimore (Post 11919705)
I've flown once with Virgin and Once with United now, my next upcoming flight is united. So far my experiences have led me to prefer Virgin - but the flight was practically empty and I ended up laying across the 4 central seats after a random ticket discount of £100... When I flew United, the plane back was so small a couple people made the comment of if it would even make it transatlantic.

Plus I prefer Virgin's frequent flyer program, even though they just upped the amount of miles needed for a first upgrade, I'll just be cashing in my american express welcome rewards for a return economy to ATL :)

I'm assuming you mean AMEX Membership Rewards. Be careful before you transfer them to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club to book an economy return as it might easily be one of the worst value options available to you because of the high fuel surcharges.

If you want to see if it's possible to save yourself hundreds of dollars, familiarize yourself with which airline programmes MR transfer into, and which of those programmes' miles can be used to book Virgin Atlantic or United with no (or just lower) taxes and fees.

I haven't got time to look into the detailed permutations for you (on holiday with the family at the minute), but if you spend an hour or two Googling and reading there's quite a fair chance to can do this much more cheaply. Pay particular attention to using Delta miles on Virgin (and Virgin miles on Delta, for that matter) and using other Star Alliance partners on United.

Canveydave Apr 19th 2016 11:58 pm

Re: United Airlines
 
Last couple of internal flights have been with Southwest and I had exceptionally low expectations. HOU - DAL and HOU to LAS.

Apart from the mad scramble for seats at the beginning I really could not fault them for the price. 2 checked bags per person, the reward miles were very decent and free live TV on the Wifi. They also gave out snacks and free soft drinks. Alcohol was $5 a drink except on the Hou - Dal flight where it was free because it was St Patricks day.

Hobby airport was also a very pleasant experience when compared to the seventh circle of hell that is called George Bush International Airport

This is more than I can say for my two upcoming internal United flights, where it is $25 a bag.

dc koop Apr 21st 2016 6:44 pm

Re: United Airlines
 
Become a member of the mile high club. Fly United


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:37 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.