United Airlines

Old Apr 3rd 2016, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default United Airlines

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a captive to MileagePlus/Star Alliance and United but recently I've started to really question the condition of their aircraft.

The newer 737s and Airbuses are nice but the 757/767s are typically a mess, especially the ones in transatlantic service. They are dirty, beat up, old and have that unique "mature plane" smell. I've flown Delta back to the UK on several occasions and it's the same story. Even Virgin's product is looking a little dated now.

Who flies what here?
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: United Airlines

My transatlantic flights are normally an American operated flight. Man, those plans are like bare metal decrepit shells. Sitting in economy is a pretty crappy experience.

However, I've flown so many times with them that I've been accumulating a good amount of miles and so I'm ready for a first class return. Although the first class doesn't look anything good.

In May I'll be trying out Virgin from Manchester, GB to Atlanta. We'll see how that goes.

With that said, I once did a United domestic flight and it was awesome. I had live direct TV and watched baseball for the couple hour flight.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 2:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Usually American (previously US Airways), because everything else means at least one change, and the planes have always been modern and clean.

I flew around trip once with Virgin and United, and the plane was cramped and obviously far from new/ not recently refitted. I would not willingly choose to fly with either airline again.

Growth in the business in recent years has led to some aircraft being retained in service longer and some airlines buying used aircraft, even from overseas. Delta, for example, has bought a bunch of MD-80's in recent years that had been used in Europe and Turkey since the 1990's.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 2:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
My transatlantic flights are normally an American operated flight. Man, those plans are like bare metal decrepit shells. Sitting in economy is a pretty crappy experience.

However, I've flown so many times with them that I've been accumulating a good amount of miles and so I'm ready for a first class return. Although the first class doesn't look anything good.

In May I'll be trying out Virgin from Manchester, GB to Atlanta. We'll see how that goes. ....
Don't do it - American is luxury by comparison, especially if you have legs.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Don't do it - American is luxury by comparison, especially if you have legs.
It was in an effort to save cash with a wedding on the horizon.

6ft+ in economy isn't fun.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 2:31 pm

It was in an effort to save cash with a wedding on the horizon.

6ft+ in economy isn't fun.
My "+" is 5", so I understand, but have never found American to be too bad, but much of that is a mindset. Virgin/United was just blöödy uncomfortable.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

In May I'll be trying out Virgin from Manchester, GB to Atlanta. We'll see how that goes.

With that said, I once did a United domestic flight and it was awesome. I had live direct TV and watched baseball for the couple hour flight.
Just be careful that you don't end up flying on Delta metal! I did that a few Christmases ago, I booked with Virgin as United had no availability but ended up going on a 767 that was made while Frankie Goes to Hollywood was number 1!
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AndFinally
Just be careful that you don't end up flying on Delta metal! I did that a few Christmases ago, I booked with Virgin as United had no availability but ended up going on a 767 that was made while Frankie Goes to Hollywood was number 1!
Oh dear! That made me revisit the receipt to discover the leg back to UK is Delta
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Oh dear! That made me revisit the receipt to discover the leg back to UK is Delta
I feel for you.

The very few cool things about Delta. One is that you get access to the Virgin Clubhouses if you have status. The second is the little authentic Tumi amenity kit you get in Business. I'm not sure Delta even has Wifi transatlantic, which is one of the saving graces of United. (When it works that is)

This is starting to sound like a Flyertalk thread!
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 3:01 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it is not a Delta codeshare with Virgin. Delta stopped flying the ATL-MAN route last year.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury
Are you sure it is not a Delta codeshare with Virgin. Delta stopped flying the ATL-MAN route last year.
Googling the code (DL4355) did show a codeshare with Virgin... Just not sure who's actually operating.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 3:07 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked at LHR we always flew United.

Last few years we have been flying with Delta TATL and Alaska domestically. United went to hell in a hand basket when they merged with Continental especially as far as time keeping and cancellations went, and then reduced connections into Manchester. Delta have a good time keeping record and their IROPS handling is excellent, as well as a couple of good one stop connections from PDX to Manchester.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 3:07 pm

Googling the code (DL4355) did show a codeshare with Virgin... Just not sure who's actually operating.
DL4355 is operated by Virgin.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury
DL4355 is operated by Virgin.
Well that's relieving after these horror stories.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 12:49 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I flew Phoenix to Newark last year, and the aircraft had received a 'refit'.

The legroom was absolutely SHOCKING. I'm 5'11 and was having rouble keeping my knees in my 'area'.
One the return leg the poor chap next to me had the misfortune of being somewhat tall. He had nowhere to put his legs, to the point where he had to store one in each of his neighbours areas. I couldn't even be mad, there was nothing the poor chap could do about it.

I noticed that once United had seated the flight, the attendants announced that some premium seats were available for an additional charge. There was a mad scramble as people desperately jockeyed for positions. Without doubt the most miserable flight I've taken and I've sworn off of united since.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.