um.....

Old May 9th 2011, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: um.....

On the plus side, if the cards do get made and sent out, they can fetch a pretty penny from the dodgy geezer down the pub
Old May 9th 2011, 2:24 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I can't speak for the USA specifically, but in most common law jurisdictions the courts would take a dim view of this kind of action (retrospective voiding of something obtained in good faith), even if an immigration or other benefit occurred due to a procedural irregularity. And USCIS might not wish to advertise the fact it made a mistake.

But I'd agree that if they wanted to use the green cards, they should get some very good legal advice on this subject. I'd think the problem in this case is that USCIC were probably never advised of the departure from the USA.
I see where you are coming from. The first entry would be more perilous as the burden of proof is squarely upon the alien to prove their admissibility. Once within the US after being admitted, the odds get better.

I wouldn't expect CIS/ICE/CBP etc to just stipulate that the cards were obtained in good faith. They could just as easily take a position that the cards were fraudulently obtained. Any competent immigration attorney should know that departing with a pending I-485 and without an advanced parole (not including dual intent H/L or similar) causes the I-485 application to be abandoned. They have an attorney. The government may assume that the attorney and therefore the bearer knew the cards were not properly obtained. It would make for an interesting read if it went through the court system.

I'm sure you're aware of plenty of people who have applied to renew a US passport only to be told they are not a US citizen and the first passport was a mistake. I know of several. None of them have gotten any traction by claiming they acted in good faith.
Old May 9th 2011, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I can't speak for the USA specifically, but in most common law jurisdictions the courts would take a dim view of this kind of action (retrospective voiding of something obtained in good faith), even if an immigration or other benefit occurred due to a procedural irregularity. And USCIS might not wish to advertise the fact it made a mistake.
I remember a court case cited by Mr Folinsky (can't remember the reference). It involved a Mexican LPR who had lost his green card. When he applied for a replacement, the government decided that his green card had been granted in error. If I remember correctly, he lost the case and had to leave the US.

Last edited by Marocco; May 9th 2011 at 9:45 am.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough

GeeandTee sent you a pm
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sazzer
GeeandTee sent you a pm
The OP has not posted since May 7... so don't expect a response.

Ian
Old Dec 13th 2011, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The OP has not posted since May 7... so don't expect a response.

Ian
Eeee, I still have email notification set up.

Message received and responded to.

And Hi, long time no see.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Just curious, but in this situation will visiting the US be possible or will a B visa be required?