British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   UK TV Programs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/uk-tv-programs-769630/)

Jerseygirl Aug 27th 2012 2:34 pm

UK TV Programs

Please post your UK TV program reviews in here.

Silent Witness is back.

Has anyone seen Murder...Joint Enterprise?

Bob Aug 27th 2012 3:38 pm

Re: UK TV Programs

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10248824)

Silent Witness is back.

Is it, or is it the episodes that they didn't show before?

I thought it was a new series too, but the pair of episodes were from near the beginning of the previous series that weren't aired because it was a kids sex ring type thing and there was a story breaking in the news so they didn't air this story line at the time.

The Last Weekend, rather enjoying it, one more episode to go, but it's very cold show.

Jerseygirl Aug 27th 2012 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10248908)
Is it, or is it the episodes that they didn't show before?

I thought it was a new series too, but the pair of episodes were from near the beginning of the previous series that weren't aired because it was a kids sex ring type thing and there was a story breaking in the news so they didn't air this story line at the time.

The Last Weekend, rather enjoying it, one more episode to go, but it's very cold show.

I don't know I haven't seen it yet. Series 15 episodes 11 and 12. So it doesn't look like a new series...just a couple of episodes. Still that's better than nothing. ;)

I keep meaning to make a note of all the programs I watch...sometimes older programs made available again and I forget that I've already seen them. :o

tonrob Aug 27th 2012 4:21 pm

I downloaded series 1 of the Accused the other day (dates from 2010) - already watched a few episodes and liked it a lot.

Each episode starts with someone being led to the dock, and then everything else is a flashback of what it was that got them there. Lots of drama, lots of guessing - very enjoyable.

Series 2 has just started in the UK with episode 1 now available on The Box.

Bob Aug 27th 2012 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10248936)
I don't know I haven't seen it yet. Series 15 episodes 11 and 12. So it doesn't look like a new series...just a couple of episodes. Still that's better than nothing. ;)

Aye, that's the one, they were originally episode 3-4 but as I said, was delayed...good stuff though :)

Bob Aug 27th 2012 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10248976)
I downloaded series 1 of the Accused the other day (dates from 2010) - already watched a few episodes and liked it a lot.

Each episode starts with someone being led to the dock, and then everything else is a flashback of what it was that got them there. Lots of drama, lots of guessing - very enjoyable.

Series 2 has just started in the UK with episode 1 now available on The Box.

Thought it was a bit slow.

Series two is much worse....it's mostly about the story and then at the end going to the dock to deal with the case, but way to slow and dull I thought.

Shame, as the idea is quite good.

Jerseygirl Aug 30th 2012 9:39 pm

Good Cop...first episode screened tonight...looks interesting.

Waterloo Road is back tonight. Hopefully it may get better now that it's in a new school/location...but I'm not holding my breath. Edit: Ooops it started last week...I remember Bob mentioning it.

Lothianlad Aug 30th 2012 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10255769)

Waterloo Road is back tonight. Hopefully it may get better now that it's in a new school/location...but I'm not holding my breath.

GOOD COP was absolutely brilliant - great dramatic effect, dark and raw and very Liverpudlian.....you have to get used to the thick Scouse accent and terminology. Excellent acting all round - made me glad that I am not an inner city copper......Good Cop may yet be seen as a Bad Cop as he is very much implicated in the action of the storyline.

WATERLOO ROAD - makes you glad that you are not a teacher in the UK State education system.......but at least one of the students - a lad - is top ace decent - shame about his pisshead of a mother who happens to be a teacher at the school with a penchant for secreting bottles of vodka locked in her classroom desk.

Sally Redux Aug 31st 2012 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Lothianlad (Post 10255813)
GOOD COP was absolutely brilliant - great dramatic effect, dark and raw and very Liverpudlian.....you have to get used to the thick Scouse accent and terminology. Excellent acting all round - made me glad that I am not an inner city copper......Good Cop may yet be seen as a Bad Cop as he is very much implicated in the action of the storyline.

WATERLOO ROAD - makes you glad that you are not a teacher in the UK State education system.......but at least one of the students - a lad - is top ace decent - shame about his pisshead of a mother who happens to be a teacher at the school with a penchant for secreting bottles of vodka locked in her classroom desk.

Makes me glad that I don't confuse TV and reality.

Bob Aug 31st 2012 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10255769)

Waterloo Road is back tonight. Hopefully it may get better now that it's in a new school/location...but I'm not holding my breath. Edit: Ooops it started last week...I remember Bob mentioning it.

I got the first episode of Good Cop, does sound interesting, 4 parter.

Waterloo Road, wasn't bad, but I do think it has run its course and the storylines are getting a little stale and repeated.

Bob Aug 31st 2012 11:56 pm

Trollied....second series just started, about the grocery store, has Jane Horrocks and Mark Addy.

Really liked the first series, so hoping this is good too.

Bob Sep 1st 2012 1:54 am

Murder: Joint Enterprise.

New hour long beeb drama, sounded pretty good, 3 people meet up for the first time and one of them dies a few hours later. Directed by the person who did the original Danish, "The Killing" and has a bunch of folks from Game of Thrones.

Jerseygirl Sep 1st 2012 2:44 am

Just watched the 2 latest episodes of Silent Witness. I thought it was excellent. :thumbsup:

Very topical...young under aged white girls in the UK...drugged and used as prostitutes my Asian gangs.

Snowdaisy Sep 1st 2012 3:32 pm

Are you watching these shows on satellite or cable channels? xx

cluedweasel Sep 1st 2012 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by snowcrystal (Post 10258817)
Are you watching these shows on satellite or cable channels? xx

They're mainly watching on iPlayer (and equivalents) via a VPN (search the forum), or downloading via torrents or Usenet.

Karrie72 Sep 1st 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks to iplayer I've got addicted to a comedy called 'The Kahns' about a Pakistani family from the Birmingham and 'Who do you think you are?' a show traces the genealogy of famous people, really interesting if you like family history stuff.

cluedweasel Sep 2nd 2012 4:29 pm

Quick heads up. There's a new series of Grand Designs starting on the 12th.

Bob Sep 3rd 2012 12:16 am

A Touch of Cloth, that two parter by Charlie Brooker....so very weird, little OTT in parts, but quite amusing all the same and worth a punt if you like his stuff.

First episode of Trollied was okay, but felt a little flat and cold compared to the last series, hoping it warms up again.

Bob Sep 3rd 2012 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10259114)
Thanks to iplayer I've got addicted to a comedy called 'The Kahns' about a Pakistani family from the Birmingham...

I've read some mixed reviews on that and a lot of people saying it's really bad...so don't know what to think...probably will give it a go, but with so many new shows starting, hard to find the time to bother....hope it gets a few episodes to warm up though.

Karrie72 Sep 3rd 2012 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10260606)
I've read some mixed reviews on that and a lot of people saying it's really bad...so don't know what to think...probably will give it a go, but with so many new shows starting, hard to find the time to bother....hope it gets a few episodes to warm up though.

Haha, yes it is a bit cheesy but it's so different to anything on over here sitcom wise, I did get sucked in for an hour.

taffie77 Sep 3rd 2012 3:06 am

Doctor Who is back, whoop!

Bob Sep 3rd 2012 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10260643)
Haha, yes it is a bit cheesy but it's so different to anything on over here sitcom wise, I did get sucked in for an hour.

We ended up watching it this evening....wasn't to impressed with it, just thought the main character and daughter were really irritating...but there was a few amusing moments.

The mosque chap was the waster son from that dentist show, which threw me a little :D

taffie77 Sep 3rd 2012 3:59 am

Also, I've just started watching Parade's End, which is an Edwardian period drama. Plus Who do you think you are? is back on, as is Casualty.

Jerseygirl Sep 3rd 2012 4:03 am

Originally Posted by taffie77 (Post 10260764)
Also, I've just started watching Parade's End, which is an Edwardian period drama. Plus Who do you think you are? is back on, as is Casualty.

I started to watch Parade's End but I kept thinking that guy shouldn't be in this because he's Sherlock Holmes. :D

Thought the last episode of The Last Weekend was a little strange. Mother's Son looks interesting...is showing tomorrow and Tuesday. What's her face from Spooks is in it.

taffie77 Sep 3rd 2012 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10260766)
I started to watch Parade's End but I kept thinking that guy shouldn't be in this because he's Sherlock Holmes. :D

Thought the last episode of The Last Weekend was a little strange. Mother's Son looks interesting...is showing tomorrow and Tuesday. What's her face from Spooks is in it.

is The Last Weekend, and Mother's Son Beeb also? What's her face doesn't narrow it down though :rofl:

Karrie72 Sep 3rd 2012 12:14 pm

Parade's End looks like it might be a rehashing of Downtown Abbey maybe?
Netflix has the 5th season of Doc Martin which I love.

Karrie72 Sep 3rd 2012 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10260757)
We ended up watching it this evening....wasn't to impressed with it, just thought the main character and daughter were really irritating...but there was a few amusing moments.

The mosque chap was the waster son from that dentist show, which threw me a little :D

Yes the mosque bloke was a bit cringey and p.c.

Bob Sep 3rd 2012 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by taffie77 (Post 10260764)

I'm surprised that Casualty is still fun, it's so daft and stupid, but I still enjoy watching it....not to sure about the new location though, that seems sacrilegious, but am liking the new characters.

Originally Posted by Montfan72 (Post 10261439)
Parade's End looks like it might be a rehashing of Downtown Abbey maybe?
Netflix has the 5th season of Doc Martin which I love.

Parade's End is the the beebs answer to Downton and their big hope for a period drama.

I didn't really rate the first episode, but we've not got around to watching the second one yet, have it lined up and the previous for it did look better, but the characters just seemed very meh to begin with.

Jerseygirl Sep 3rd 2012 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by taffie77 (Post 10260781)
is The Last Weekend, and Mother's Son Beeb also? What's her face doesn't narrow it down though :rofl:

I don't know what channel they were on.

Roz from Spooks ...that's her name.

Jerseygirl Sep 3rd 2012 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by taffie77 (Post 10260781)

cluedweasel Sep 3rd 2012 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10261513)

Hermione Norris, and I didn't even need to look it up :)

Bob Sep 4th 2012 12:39 am

A Mother's Son -

When a teenage schoolgirl is murdered in a quiet coastal town the residents are shocked. They include the newly-merged family of Rosie and her two children Jamie and Livvy, and her new husband Ben and his two teenage children Rob and Jess. Then Rosie finds a pair of trainers stained with what she suspects could be blood. With Jamie and Rob both acting suspiciously, could someone in the family really be involved in a murder?

Starring: Hermione Norris, Martin Clunes, Paul McGann, Alexander Arnold, Nicola Walker, Annabelle Apsion
It's a 2 parter...not seen it yet, but it does sound like it has potential. Anyone catch it?

Jerseygirl Sep 4th 2012 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10262332)
A Mother's Son -

It's a 2 parter...not seen it yet, but it does sound like it has potential. Anyone catch it?

I mentioned last night that it looked good. I'm waiting until I have both episodes before I watch it.

Southy_SWFC Sep 4th 2012 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10260766)

A little strange? That whole show starts strange and just gets stranger and stranger

Jerseygirl Sep 4th 2012 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC (Post 10262414)
A little strange? That whole show starts strange and just gets stranger and stranger

I thought the first episode was good...the second not quite as good...but the last one was strange. Very disappointing after such a good start.

Keith S Sep 4th 2012 1:14 pm

Parades End? Gave up just over halfway through the first. Strange programme.

redglade Sep 4th 2012 10:51 pm

Cracker (Robbie Coltrane) has just become available on Netflix. Just as good the second time around and also stars a young Christopher Ecclestone (yes please).

Also liking "Who do you think you are?" on the Beeb, and looking forward to "Grand Designs" - thanks for the heads up!

Jerseygirl Sep 4th 2012 11:14 pm

We also have a thread to post Netflix recommendations.

Bob Sep 5th 2012 3:11 am

Finally got around to watching Good Cop.

Rather liked it, but fairly dark and disturbing show...basically a cop gets battered and without giving to much away, it's about what happens to those folks and the other cops.

Lot of recognisable faces from various Brit shows too.

Also saw Hunderby, which is supposed to be a comedy drama, but it's very surreal and not very funny at all.

Still, will give that another episode as it's a few in, but wasn't that impressed by it, which is a shame as it sounded fairly interesting.

Jerseygirl Sep 6th 2012 9:48 pm

The Bletchley Circle...a 3 parter...looks interesting.