Reload this Page >

UK tax if living in US

UK tax if living in US

Old Oct 10th 2018, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

EM_FL is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK tax if living in US

Hello!

Newbie here I've lived in FL for 4 years on a work permit and now nearly on a GC.

In additional to working full time for my US employer I also started doing some consulting on a self employed basis in the UK this year (remotely of course). As a result I earned some money in the UK without being resident there (or even stepping foot back in the UK). Its been over a year since we popped back to the UK for a visit for a couple weeks to see family. So I'm sure I'm considered non-resident for tax purposes. But I have earned a good bit of side money in the UK (about 30k GBP so far). How do I file my taxes and what will I have to pay? Any NI? Do I get the personal allowance?

I have registered with HMRC as self employed. I don't think I registered or made it clear I was non-resident though. I still use my parents address for my remaining UK post etc.

Any advice/thoughts appreciated
Old Oct 10th 2018, 6:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK tax if living in US

It's not clear from your post whether you are a US PR yet or not... are you?

Also, did you mean work permit (EAD) or work visa?

Rene
Old Oct 10th 2018, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

EM_FL is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm on a work visa L2B and just waiting to be approved for PR.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 7:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your spouse is on an L1 work visa. You have an EAD allowing you to work, I assume.

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2018, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

There is a lack of clarity on whether the OP is an L-1B or the dependent L2 visa. If the former, I would be very careful as it is my understanding that this visa only permits you to work for the employer who filed the petition for you. You could be on dodgy ground working for another employer too, whether the employer is in the US or not.

If its the L2, I don't think there is any restriction as long as you have a current EAD.

Regardless of your immigration status, do make sure you file your income in both the US and the UK. In the UK you file a self-assessment, but you can't do it online from abroad, you have to file paper copy and the deadline for the 17-18 tax year is 31st October, so get your skates on.