UK Student Loans

Old Feb 6th 2014, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of
Default UK Student Loans

Received a letter from back home regarding my student loan. I informed them that I was moving to the USA 6 years ago and hadn't heard anything from them until now.

Anyway, needless to say they're not demanding huge wads of cash... I'm going to call them tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue and had any good info.

Ta......
Old Feb 6th 2014, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Student Loans

Originally Posted by mojofilter
Received a letter from back home regarding my student loan. I informed them that I was moving to the USA 6 years ago and hadn't heard anything from them until now.

Anyway, needless to say they're not demanding huge wads of cash... I'm going to call them tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue and had any good info.

Ta......
Yeah, they did that to me as well. Shortly they will tell you the default rate of £256 a month will be in effect unless you send an income verification form and you need to start paying. They are knobs.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Yeah, they did that to me as well. Shortly they will tell you the default rate of £256 a month will be in effect unless you send an income verification form and you need to start paying. They are knobs.
Boo Hiss!!!!!

So I take it you send them the info they requested and they then revised the amount?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

arran29 will become famous soon enough

Boo Hiss!!!!!

So I take it you send them the info they requested and they then revised the amount?
Yes. I did a 1 year teaching post grad in 2006-2007, So far haven't paid anything back as I was unemployed for several years and now don't earn enough to have to pay anything back, even though I am full time in a law office. I make sure they know my current address and annually complete the form with my income.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Boo Hiss!!!!!

Or if you earn a lot the default may work in your favor. They adjust it in March when they redo the exchange rate, I think they'll only lower it though, and then again every year after you return the form. You need evidence so a letter from your employer is usually a good idea as you can have them word it in the best possible way without lying. For instance, not including bonuses or overtime which a pay stub or W-2 would.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 8:32 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

If you've emigrated to the USA, I presume you could just ignore it. What are they going to do?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
If you've emigrated to the USA, I presume you could just ignore it. What are they going to do?
They may need to go back one day.

Or ... as the different bureaus and government systems start becoming increasingly enmeshed, the likelihood of a big bill landing on their US doorstep is likely.

The SLC are a very nasty bunch - if you don't play ball they can demand the entire amount in a lump sum, tacking on interest and late payment charges etc ... Whilst it may be relatively easy to avoid in the US ... if you decide to go back to the UK then you'll be in trouble as these loans are the one type of loan that don't erase themselves during a bankruptcy process. They don't go away.

Hoffage
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I've found honesty with them has worked out well for me. Each year they send me a letter asking if I earn enough to start paying it back yet. I tell them no, send them a pay slip, and they leave me alone for another year.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:27 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
I've found honesty with them has worked out well for me. Each year they send me a letter asking if I earn enough to start paying it back yet. I tell them no, send them a pay slip, and they leave me alone for another year.
Same for me. I think anyone graduating the year after me has had more problems as it's when the scheme changed. I have half with SLC and half with HSLC. One form for both and it's done for another year.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

charman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Each year they send me a letter asking if I earn enough to start paying it back yet.
What is that amount?

I have the same issue now, received a letter yesterday stating the default payment amount if I don't complete the Assessment Form.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by charman57
What is that amount?

I have the same issue now, received a letter yesterday stating the default payment amount if I don't complete the Assessment Form.
The earnings threshold is about $25,000. The standard repayment is 9% of anything above that. Its based in £ and is a little over £16,000 for the US. US default repayment is £246 a month.

Last edited by Duncan Roberts; Feb 27th 2014 at 8:03 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
..... don't expect you called them knobs when they gave you the loan

What is it about some loans/debts etc that some people think that not paying them back or stringing out the payback time for as long as then can, is just OK?
Old Feb 27th 2014, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

charman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nicecharman57 is just really nice

OK, I am over that threshold. So they will recalculate my required payments once I send them my Assessment Form?
Old Feb 27th 2014, 8:32 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
..... don't expect you called them knobs when they gave you the loan

What is it about some loans/debts etc that some people think that not paying them back or stringing out the payback time for as long as then can, is just OK?
I guess some people feel that they pay enough tax to fund every other person in society that this is there way of getting some form of tax relief. I have sympathy for this viewpoint.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I guess some people feel that they pay enough tax to fund every other person in society that this is there way of getting some form of tax relief. I have sympathy for this viewpoint.
Aaahhh, if only we could all have this attitude.

Paid my taxes so I'll just stop paying my health insurance and let the rest of society pick up the bill; stop paying my mortgage and sit tight for a few years rent free, while they sort out the documentation; move and not pay off my credit card bills; move country and not pay my student loans.

Maybe that's why we pay so many taxes ..... to many "takers" not enough "makers"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.