UK Pension - amount

Old May 7th 2018, 11:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pension - amount

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So the fact my mum and my brother get $145 is some sort of 'grandfathering' of rates? Do you mean, a person retiring tomorrow would only get 125.95? But hold on ... my brother said he WILL get 145 next year, his first year of eligibility (he's just turning 65) ... so shouldn't he be getting only 125, based on your info?

What is interesting is that in the US, the rate is affected by how much you've paid in (not just the minimum number of years, but actual amounts). My Social Security is currently predicted to be $2,800/mo at 66 based on the fact I've paid in a fair amount. That's a healthy number compared to the UK equivalent.
if you retired tomorrow and you were eligible for the new full State Pension you'd get £164.35 a week.

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/what-youll-get
Old May 8th 2018, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pension - amount

I'm over in the UK at the moment, visiting my 89 year old mum and making sure everything is ok with her. While going over her general needs, she shared with me her 'pension' situation. Apparently she gets about 145 pounds a week (628 pounds / mo) from the state. Talking to my brother, he also gets a pension of about 145 pounds. So the situation seems to be, the state pension is a fixed amount for everyone, give-or-take a few quid for being over 80, and so on. Is that true?
I don't think that is true at all - state pension amounts can vary from person to person quite considerably. The state pension calculation is very complex and over the years has included aspects of earnings related elements (SERPS and later S2P). Although the earnings related element was removed when the new system was introduced in April 2016, previous entitlements have been preserved. Anyone already receiving their state pension or who has a significant work history prior to April 2016 may well have some of this earnings related pension on top of the 'basic' amount.

It seems like you need to be saving plenty of extra money in the UK to supplement the state pension (not unlike the US).
This, I think, is true