Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

UK introducing 14 day quarantine

UK introducing 14 day quarantine

Old May 24th 2020, 7:17 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK introducing 14 day quarantine

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Again, you don't understand the political dynamic in the US. As the coronavirus figures are leveling off without causing the hospitals to collapse under the numbers, the political gains are to be made in the issues of rebuilding businesses and getting people back to work, and Donald Trump no doubt has his eyes on states like Michigan, Pennsylvania, and NC, which he needs to win in November and which currently have Democrat governors.

The relative numbers of coronavirus deaths, or even infections, is dwarfed by the numbers of people who have lost their jobs, (over 40 million and rising) and so there are vastly more votes to be gained from those who think Donald Trump will boost the economy than lost from those who think he is reckless. If Donald Trump can engineer a "V-shaped recovery", he will pick up votes in most states, and collect many of those "battleground" states with Democrat governors, where I predict he will be blaming the governors for shutting down their economies and throwing people out of work.
You make valid argument but it is also a two headed coin. If they get a second wave of infections towards the fall as is feared. The democrats are free to blame that on Trump and his reopening of the borders and pull trump on his leadership during this crisis which has been very poor and ask the question to the voters of how many american lives it cost.

Isn't there also the question of national security for trump to consider? Given how bad this virus is now and the effects it has caused?
Old May 24th 2020, 11:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
You make valid argument but it is also a two headed coin. If they get a second wave of infections towards the fall as is feared. .....
The daily infections number is falling in the US, albeit fairly slowly, and no doubt it will be watched carefully by Donald Trump, but survey testing in New York suggests that infections are actually more than ten TIMES the reported numbers, which means three things [1] the scope for a big "second wave" is limited, because more people probably have the "herd immunity" than we thought, [2] 90% of people who get infected get it without experiencing any noticeable/ concerning symptoms, and [3] the mortality rate is only one tenth of what the mainstream numbers suggest, about 1.4% is what an article on worldometer.com says. Furthermore 89% of fatalities are of people with "undying conditions" and most of the rest are over the age of 50, so it is increasingly looking like the mortality rate for someone who is healthy and young to middle aged is much less than 0.1% maybe even 0.01%, and pretty low even for older people who are in good health.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 24th 2020 at 11:15 pm.
Old May 25th 2020, 8:01 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Furthermore 89% of fatalities are of people with "undying conditions" and most of the rest are over the age of 50, so it is increasingly looking like the mortality rate for someone who is healthy and young to middle aged is much less than 0.1% maybe even 0.01%, and pretty low even for older people who are in good health.
Garlic? Stake through the heart? I should watch more of those movies.
Old May 25th 2020, 10:24 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

The daily infections number is falling in the US, albeit fairly slowly, and no doubt it will be watched carefully by Donald Trump, but survey testing in New York suggests that infections are actually more than ten TIMES the reported numbers, which means three things [1] the scope for a big "second wave" is limited, because more people probably have the "herd immunity" than we thought, [2] 90% of people who get infected get it without experiencing any noticeable/ concerning symptoms, and [3] the mortality rate is only one tenth of what the mainstream numbers suggest, about 1.4% is what an article on worldometer.com says. Furthermore 89% of fatalities are of people with "undying conditions" and most of the rest are over the age of 50, so it is increasingly looking like the mortality rate for someone who is healthy and young to middle aged is much less than 0.1% maybe even 0.01%, and pretty low even for older people who are in good health.
So this is basically a very very bad flu season then in terms of deaths. So what does that say about the decision to lockdown the country? Could and would biden risk saying with hindsight maybe the lockdown wasn't necessary. Some scientists are now saying that perhaps it wasn't.
Old May 25th 2020, 10:57 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

So this is basically a very very bad flu season then in terms of deaths. So what does that say about the decision to lockdown the country? Could and would biden risk saying with hindsight maybe the lockdown wasn't necessary. Some scientists are now saying that perhaps it wasn't.
What would the death toll have been if that had been done? One million, two million? With the danger of a much longer, and more profound, economic disruption? For instance - what if all meat processing in the US was forced to close for, say, two years, leading to elimination of all livestock in the US, and no meat available to the consumer?
Old May 25th 2020, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't exactly call it a very bad flu season. Anyone can say in hindsight this that or the other but what does it achieve? Yeah perhaps we shouldn't have dropped that nuke on Hiroshima, maybe we shouldn't have built Chernobyl etc etc etc.
Look at Brazil over the last few days are we really saying its just a bad flu and no need for lockdown?
Old May 25th 2020, 11:11 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I wouldn't exactly call it a very bad flu season. Anyone can say in hindsight this that or the other but what does it achieve? Yeah perhaps we shouldn't have dropped that nuke on Hiroshima, maybe we shouldn't have built Chernobyl etc etc etc.
Look at Brazil over the last few days are we really saying its just a bad flu and no need for lockdown?
Not to mention the strokes, heart problems, neurological issues, blood clots, kidney failure, and multiple organ failure - a small proportion of those infected end up with these type of outcomes, but I think our health services will be supporting these type of patients for many decades to come. If we’d gone the libertarian herd-immunity route, presumably this group of patients who survive, but with serious ongoing needs, would be greatly increased.
Old May 25th 2020, 11:17 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Originally Posted by robin1234
Not to mention the strokes, heart problems, neurological issues, blood clots, kidney failure, and multiple organ failure - a small proportion of those infected end up with these type of outcomes, but I think our health services will be supporting these type of patients for many decades to come. If we’d gone the libertarian herd-immunity route, presumably this group of patients who survive, but with serious ongoing needs, would be greatly increased.
and another
Old May 25th 2020, 11:53 am
Banned

What would the death toll have been if that had been done? One million, two million? With the danger of a much longer, and more profound, economic disruption? For instance - what if all meat processing in the US was forced to close for, say, two years, leading to elimination of all livestock in the US, and no meat available to the consumer?
It is a very tough call all this especially for America where they have a lot of guns and people willing to use them. Trump is damned if he does and damned if didn't but I still stay personally he should have closed the borders much earlier than he did. They need to begin a program of mass deportation using ICE and the Police whether the police like it or not and put as many americans back to work as they can as fast as they can. No president survives a recession.
Old May 25th 2020, 12:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

It is a very tough call all this especially for America where they have a lot of guns and people willing to use them. Trump is damned if he does and damned if didn't but I still stay personally he should have closed the borders much earlier than he did. They need to begin a program of mass deportation using ICE and the Police whether the police like it or not and put as many americans back to work as they can as fast as they can. No president survives a recession.
Guns - ICE - deportations. None of this is relevant to the pandemic. And yes, “Trump is damned” but only because of his monumental incompetence and laziness and total mismanagement of the crisis.
Old May 25th 2020, 2:54 pm
Banned

Guns - ICE - deportations. None of this is relevant to the pandemic. And yes, “Trump is damned” but only because of his monumental incompetence and laziness and total mismanagement of the crisis.
Perhaps not. When I was living in nyc in the mid 00s a story hit fox news I think it was. I think a meat processing plant or factory of some kind in Ohio i seem to recall. They did a massive ICE raid rounded up hundreds of illegal workers and hundreds of americans queued up outside for jobs with the cameras watching them. There have to my knowledge not been any major work based enforcement raids since the time of Bush but I could be incorrect about that statement.
Old May 25th 2020, 3:34 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps not. When I was living in nyc in the mid 00s a story hit fox news I think it was. I think a meat processing plant or factory of some kind in Ohio i seem to recall. They did a massive ICE raid rounded up hundreds of illegal workers and hundreds of americans queued up outside for jobs with the cameras watching them. There have to my knowledge not been any major work based enforcement raids since the time of Bush but I could be incorrect about that statement.
yes you are wrong.
There have been several very high profile ones in the last year.
Still, carry on... your posts have given me a good laugh.
Old May 25th 2020, 5:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
yes you are wrong.
There have been several very high profile ones in the last year.
Still, carry on... your posts have given me a good laugh.
This is what I remember seeing on the news

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swift_raids

Posting from ICE site "In fiscal year 2018, HSI opened 6,848 worksite investigations compared to 1,691 in FY17; initiated 5,981 I-9 audits compared to 1,360; and made 779 criminal and 1,525 administrative worksite-related arrests compared to 139 and 172, respectively; all of these categories surged by 300 to 750 percent over the previous fiscal year". So from a reading of that very little enforcement in 2017 picking up under Trump in 2018/

That is not a big figure. They got 1300 in the swift raids in late 06 in one raid. Criminal I am assuming means persons face other charges like illegal re-entry or failure to comply with deportation order. Admin arrests means they just caught you without any history.

Last edited by andyrebell; May 25th 2020 at 5:35 pm.
Old May 25th 2020, 5:30 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

According to ICE website no major worksite raid after 2008 for a number of years. In 2008 hundreds were captured in a single raid the last few years seems to be a couple of dozen at most. In 07 the raid on tv was many hundreds. No big raids nationwide catchings tens of thousands. Trump has to kick out as many as possible if he has any chance. Put as many people in work as he can. They could remove a few million between June and November in a big effort and get americans into those jobs. No president has survived a recession trump most know that.
Tens of thousands? What alternate universe are you living in...
Old May 25th 2020, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Tens of thousands? What alternate universe are you living in...
I believe they now call it the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.