Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

UK introducing 14 day quarantine

UK introducing 14 day quarantine

Old May 26th 2020, 7:34 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK introducing 14 day quarantine

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Stinks, doesn't it. I was going to go this summer since he wanted to work there over the summer, and early October for his 21st birthday, but not only is there virus with the job layoff that wouldn't be affordable anyway unless some miracle occurs quickly. I do think they will have to open up some sort of air travel or all the airlines will all go bust, but whether you consider it safe to fly to see an elderly parent is another matter. I hope it works out for you.
There are regular scheduled flights between US and U.K., though, aren’t there? I’d assumed that Chicago was one of the designated entry points to the US, but maybe not.

My hesitation about traveling home to NY is just the sheer number of uncertain, new and stressful situations.
1. Traveling from here to Heathrow.
2. Staying in a Heathrow hotel. (Flight is in the morning.)
3. Being in the terminal.
4. Will I be allowed to fly? I’ve had a succession of colds, fevers, tonsillitis etc for many months.
5. Will the flight be empty or packed?
6. Hotel at the airport in Boston? (Family & friends in Boston are all either elderly or have chronic ailments.)
7. Flight to North Country. Since it’s a Cessna 402, I’d only feel comfortable if I was the ONLY passenger. (According to my contact at the airline, the flights typically fly empty or one passenger.)
Old May 26th 2020, 1:13 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
There are regular scheduled flights between US and U.K., though, aren’t there? I’d assumed that Chicago was one of the designated entry points to the US, but maybe not.

My hesitation about traveling home to NY is just the sheer number of uncertain, new and stressful situations.
1. Traveling from here to Heathrow.
2. Staying in a Heathrow hotel. (Flight is in the morning.)
3. Being in the terminal.
4. Will I be allowed to fly? I’ve had a succession of colds, fevers, tonsillitis etc for many months.
5. Will the flight be empty or packed?
6. Hotel at the airport in Boston? (Family & friends in Boston are all either elderly or have chronic ailments.)
7. Flight to North Country. Since it’s a Cessna 402, I’d only feel comfortable if I was the ONLY passenger. (According to my contact at the airline, the flights typically fly empty or one passenger.)

Yes, there are flights, so if you are trying to repatriate you can get through - as dual US/UK citizens both he and I still have the right of entry to both countries, but the 14-day quarantine makes visiting impossible, and the ongoing uncertainty about who will be allowed to do what when certainly doesn't help.

And yes, all the other factors you mention are additional worries. He is a healthy young man, so not very vulnerable. I am a healthy, ahem, not quite as young woman and not very worried for myself, but OH is high risk so transporting the virus to him would be a worry. In your position I can see why you would just wait it out a bit more, but having said that unless they miraculously pop up with an effective vaccine in record time we are all going to have to find ways to deal with this somehow.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; May 26th 2020 at 1:17 pm.
Old May 26th 2020, 2:09 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm sorry to hear that, it's tough being apart when you don't even know when you will be able to get back together. I haven't seen my mother since Christmas 2018, and we had tickets to travel at the end of this week, but those were canceled with no immediate prospect of rebooking. I am not entirely convinced that we will be traveling even 12 months from now, and even though she is in good health, my mother is of an age where I may not see her again even if she manages to stay clear of covid-19.
You have my sympathies Mr P, I'm in a similar boat, though I did see my mum last summer. As I booked that trip I commented to steveq that I was going need to get in the habit of an annual visit to see her, this year it was supposed to coincide with elder son's graduation ceremony in Swansea which has been cancelled. The sooner there is a vaccination and I feel I can visit safely I will be much happier.

LIW I do hope that things improve for you and you get to see the Little Lion before too long, yes it stinks.
Old May 26th 2020, 3:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
You have my sympathies Mr P, I'm in a similar boat, though I did see my mum last summer. As I booked that trip I commented to steveq that I was going need to get in the habit of an annual visit to see her, this year it was supposed to coincide with elder son's graduation ceremony in Swansea which has been cancelled. The sooner there is a vaccination and I feel I can visit safely I will be much happier.

LIW I do hope that things improve for you and you get to see the Little Lion before too long, yes it stinks.
A graduation party in Swansea would have been quite a party. Is he planning to stay in the US now, or does he want to do further study in the UK? The Little Lion is talking (very prematurely) about a Masters in the UK due to that helping get Chartered status later (engineering). He reckons, probably rightly, that if he starts working the odds of him going back to uni drop considerably. But he really wants to settle that side of the Atlantic, in so far as a very young man knows anything...
Old May 26th 2020, 3:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... The Little Lion is talking (very prematurely) about a Masters in the UK due to that helping get Chartered status later (engineering). ....
I thought that most Engineering degrees in the UK were 3-4 years, with the option to leave after three years with a bachelors degree, or continue at the same university for another year to get a master's.
Old May 26th 2020, 4:56 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

A graduation party in Swansea would have been quite a party. Is he planning to stay in the US now, or does he want to do further study in the UK? The Little Lion is talking (very prematurely) about a Masters in the UK due to that helping get Chartered status later (engineering). He reckons, probably rightly, that if he starts working the odds of him going back to uni drop considerably. But he really wants to settle that side of the Atlantic, in so far as a very young man knows anything...
AFAIK he is planning to stay in the USA until he can get his citizenship, then he and his US citizen GF (4 years and counting) will consider their options for where to live. Apparently it is easier for US citizens to go to Germany than other European countries, but I don't know the fine details of that. Girlfriend is double majoring in Chemistry and German at CMU in Pittsburgh.
Old May 26th 2020, 8:30 pm

I thought that most Engineering degrees in the UK were 3-4 years, with the option to leave after three years with a bachelors degree, or continue at the same university for another year to get a master's.
They are, I think. Or you can go to another university and do your Masters' there.
Old May 26th 2020, 9:23 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Quarantine in the UK has made the logistics of getting master PF from Amsterdam on July 15th to Edinburgh Uni on September 1st pretty difficult. He won't know if he's got a place in Uni halls of residence until July15th when he gets his diploma and can confirm his place on the MSc course, it's the same day he has to move out of his university apartment in Amsterdam.... then we have to get him and all his gear to Edinburgh. And store his stuff somewhere if he's got a place in halls..... if not he has to find private accommodation.
All with a quarantine that says he has to stay put and not use public transport etc etc....
Originally Dad was going to fly to Amsterdam and help him but currrently that would mean 2 weeks quarantine in the UK and then 2 weeks quarantine on return back in TX.
Oh boy.
Old May 27th 2020, 12:19 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

In Hong Kong after you arrive you are basically kept in a group and shuttled to a large convention center next to the airport where you get a test done immediately upon arrival. A GPS-enabled bracelet is connected to your mobile phone via an app and once you test negative you are sent to your home or hotel (or the government's quarantine camp) and have to remain in that location for two weeks. Go outside and your bracelet alerts the health department and police and they haul you off to the government camp (and give you a fine).

HK has 7.4 million people and 1,066 cases (4 deaths) and they aim to keep it that low for quite awhile. Only residents are currently being allowed to enter, though the border to China may open up next month.

Not sure the UK quarantine will have the same GPS tracking or testing on arrival.
Old May 27th 2020, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Garlic? Stake through the heart? I should watch more of those movies.
Covid is not that serious: https://www.conservativereview.com/n...th-rate-media/

https://news.northwestern.edu/storie...rtality-rates/

Last edited by jeepster; May 27th 2020 at 3:57 am.
Old May 27th 2020, 4:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
Covid is not that serious: .....
You should get together with AndyRebell.

Old May 27th 2020, 7:57 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of legitimate research reports on the efficacy of Vitamin D going back to (at least) January, 2020. I read one in the BMJ in February and immediately started taking vitamin D every day. It’s not going to harm me, since I’m taking the recommended daily dose.

Old May 27th 2020, 11:38 am

You should get together with AndyRebell.

Loads of legitimate research reports on the efficacy of Vitamin D going back to (at least) January, 2020. I read one in the BMJ in February and immediately started taking vitamin D every day. It’s not going to harm me, since I’m taking the recommended daily dose.
Yes, no real news here, other than it's difficult to calculate mortality rates when you don't know how many people have had the illness.

Of course a lot depends on what you mean by "not that serious". If you mean the odds of being one of those who dies from Covid, then sure, if you are an otherwise healthy and not old person the numbers say that your odds expressed as a percentage of the whole population of avoiding being one of those who dies are relatively good. On the other hand, that is still a shedload of people so in that sense it is most certainly serious. In the UK we now have 64,000 "excess deaths" (more than normal deaths from all causes over time) with 37,000 of those being confirmed covid deaths.

Here is the excess deaths explanation.

https://news.sky.com/video/excess-de...demic-11995102