British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   UK dog adapting to leash laws (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/uk-dog-adapting-leash-laws-915222/)

Confusedbylife Jul 23rd 2018 12:13 pm

UK dog adapting to leash laws

Hi

My husband has been offered a job in New York and are considering relocating. However we have an 8 year old labrador who would be coming with us. He is used to off lead walks and I am concerned about how he will adapt to having to be on lead all the time unless in dog park etc.

If you have taken your dog to US how did they adapt? How available are off leash areas?

Maste Jul 23rd 2018 2:05 pm

Re: UK dog adapting to leash laws

Originally Posted by Confusedbylife (Post 12537210)
Hi

My husband has been offered a job in New York and are considering relocating. However we have an 8 year old labrador who would be coming with us. He is used to off lead walks and I am concerned about how he will adapt to having to be on lead all the time unless in dog park etc.

If you have taken your dog to US how did they adapt? How available are off leash areas?

Surely if your dog is used to off leash walking - he must stay relatively close to you? I feel if he's so well training in off leash walking he wouldn't take long to adapt to a leash. Just maybe get a retractable one so you can let him venture a little and recall him in when people etc are approaching.

How available dog off leash areas are will depend on your neighbourhood and area. Google will be your best bet for answer on that, especially with a city as big as NY! I will say I've noticed a LOT MORE dog parks, off leash areas, and even dog friendly coffee shops, bars, and restaurants since I've been over here.

BigK Jul 23rd 2018 8:13 pm

I think Dog parks are about the only places where a leash is not the law. I dont think you can get away with no leash in NYC even with the best trained dog. Too many people, cars, and too much distraction where anything can happen in a split second. If you care about your dog's freedom, Manhattan may not be the best place for you, unless you find yourself in a brownstone with a patio in the back. A suburb with walking trails may be a better bet for your dog, and going off-leash

BenK91 Jul 23rd 2018 8:21 pm

As Maste posted, Google will be your friend with this once you nail down potential areas you will be living in.

Here in Colorado, the only place I can 'legally' take my dogs off the leash is the dog park nearby, but even that's a nightmare considering it's about 3 square miles in size so if the dog fancies a game of chase you've had it :lol:

tom169 Jul 23rd 2018 11:18 pm

Got dog parks of all sizes here. It's great to get your dog to socialize.

Rete Jul 23rd 2018 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 12537271)
How available dog off leash areas are will depend on your neighbourhood and area. Google will be your best bet for answer on that, especially with a city as big as NY! I will say I've noticed a LOT MORE dog parks, off leash areas, and even dog friendly coffee shops, bars, and restaurants since I've been over here.

New York is a large state and further outside of the NY City you go the more open land will be available to walk your dog without a leash. In areas where there are housing and private property you do need to leash your animal for its own safety, as well as for the safety of others. Most people assume when you same NY, you mean NYC. That's not necessarily so.

As for allowing animals in restaurants, bars, etc., I would not eat or drink in those places. I have always owned dogs and now cats and know just how much their fur sheds and gets onto tables and food. Thanks, but no thanks. Hair in my food or drink is unacceptable.

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 24th 2018 2:40 am

I did find a Brewpub in Frisco the let the pup in, now this was something new as Colorado does not allow Dogs, even ESA's, in places that serve food. They had only been open 5 weeks so maybe that was why.

Really hot outside, much cooler inside and he appreciated the attention and the odd French Fry/Chip.

scottyvisa Jul 24th 2018 8:26 pm

Hi

We have a lab, and while he's never lived in the UK, we did move from a sleepy little military base where he roamed free to a normal residential area with stricter leash rules. It takes some getting used to but not too bad, we just play a lot more fetch and go running together more often than we used to! Dog parks are great, as are beaches off season if you live near the sea, and honestly I wouldn't want him off leash anywhere else here, so many dogs I walk past haven't be socialized or properly trained and are very aggressive, I wouldn't want him wandering up to them.

Octang Frye Jul 24th 2018 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12537425)
As Maste posted, Google will be your friend with this once you nail down potential areas you will be living in.

Here in Colorado, the only place I can 'legally' take my dogs off the leash is the dog park nearby, but even that's a nightmare considering it's about 3 square miles in size so if the dog fancies a game of chase you've had it :lol:

That's not true. Boulder is off-leash, as is most of the mountains. Only time we're on-leash is at Bear Creek Lake Park.

BenK91 Jul 24th 2018 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 12537986)
That's not true. Boulder is off-leash, as is most of the mountains. Only time we're on-leash is at Bear Creek Lake Park.

1. Boulder doesn't count because it's an entirely separate planet from the rest of CO. Fairly certain you have to have some sort of weird breed with an elaborate name and neckerchief on said dog for it to even count in Boulder.
2. I have an English and a French bulldog, they don't walk for more than 10 minutes, definitely not up in the mountains :lol:

Should've been more specific, in the county/metro area I am, they're the only places permitted for leash-less dogs.

Octang Frye Jul 24th 2018 10:45 pm

Nice doggies.

petitefrancaise Jul 25th 2018 6:43 pm

you should try Austin. YUCK. totally agree with Rete.
https://www.austinchronicle.com/dail...nts-in-austin/

Octang Frye Jul 25th 2018 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12537558)
I did find a Brewpub in Frisco the let the pup in, now this was something new as Colorado does not allow Dogs, even ESA's, in places that serve food. They had only been open 5 weeks so maybe that was why.

Really hot outside, much cooler inside and he appreciated the attention and the odd French Fry/Chip.

There's loads of places that allow dogs on the patio. Not sure where you're hanging out.

Maste Jul 25th 2018 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12537511)
New York is a large state and further outside of the NY City you go the more open land will be available to walk your dog without a leash. In areas where there are housing and private property you do need to leash your animal for its own safety, as well as for the safety of others. Most people assume when you same NY, you mean NYC. That's not necessarily so.

As for allowing animals in restaurants, bars, etc., I would not eat or drink in those places. I have always owned dogs and now cats and know just how much their fur sheds and gets onto tables and food. Thanks, but no thanks. Hair in my food or drink is unacceptable.

By dog friendly, I meant they will let you on the patio with your pup. I've never been allowed to walk through the building etc, to get to the patio. Frankly, I'm glad they wouldn't allow me to do so! Always have to use the side entrance, and I always choose a seat in the corner out of the way of people etc, so it's up to them if they approach my pup, and she can't bother anyone. She doesn't shed a lot either, but I get the concerns for sure!

Sarkar Aug 7th 2018 11:36 am

Hi

We have the same issue, just got back from a week of flat hunting in NYC, we are taking our 11 year old Weimaraner out in January. Finding an apartment in itself is an issue with a large dog and then all the dog parks are quite small, but it looks as though the riverside walk and parts of Central Park are leash free before 9am and after 9pm, so I'm guessing i will have to get out early with her. If your moving to NYC i would appreciate the company on a dog walk some time. :embarrassed_smile: