UK Ballot Papers

Old Nov 27th 2019, 5:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Ballot Papers

Ours arrived late yesterday afternoon, and are now on their way back. Looks like some councils at least are getting them out with a reasonable chance to get them back in time.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 7:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Ballot Papers

I've just realised having voted in every General Election for the past 50 years, this will be my last. Unless this one doesn't produce a clear result, I doubt there will be another one before the 15 year time limit rules me out.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 11:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If Boris gets a majority and his Brexit deal done then the Tories might finally get the long promised ‘Votes for Life’ Bill through the next Parliament.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 10:32 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised to find mine came with an international postage paid envelope too.

It was interesting to have a ballot paper with only the 3 main parties listed. The last time I voted in my local elections, there were a few more parties listed.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 6:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ivanidea
I was surprised to find mine came with an international postage paid envelope too.

It was interesting to have a ballot paper with only the 3 main parties listed. The last time I voted in my local elections, there were a few more parties listed.
Lots of parties are standing aside to give those with similar Brexit ideology more chance of winning the seat.

Brexit party not standing against against conservatives.

And the most likely winner of green, liberal democrats and plaid cymru...
Old Nov 29th 2019, 8:08 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster
Lots of parties are standing aside to give those with similar Brexit ideology more chance of winning the seat.

Brexit party not standing against against conservatives.

And the most likely winner of green, liberal democrats and plaid cymru...
Probably quite likely in this case - Green and Brexit Parties standing aside for the Lib Dems and Tories.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 11:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I also think that a lot of the real fringe parties, like the 'raving monster loonies' have had enough of elections with so many in short order that they just can't afford to lose another deposit.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Yankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lansbury
I've just realised having voted in every General Election for the past 50 years, this will be my last. Unless this one doesn't produce a clear result, I doubt there will be another one before the 15 year time limit rules me out.
I sympathize (-se?)... Having recently arrived in the UK and being a non-citizen, I cannot vote this Thursday, although campaign posters litter the town and my local friends are very engaged... I'm looking forward to watching the returns...
Old Dec 9th 2019, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Yankashire
I sympathize (-se?)... Having recently arrived in the UK and being a non-citizen, I cannot vote this Thursday, although campaign posters litter the town and my local friends are very engaged... I'm looking forward to watching the returns...
You can register to vote in local elections if you’re keen to participate in the democratic process. Also helps build up your credit rating
Old Dec 9th 2019, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Yankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can register to vote in local elections if you’re keen to participate in the democratic process. Also helps build up your credit rating
Thanks, I'm on it... although best practice is to wait for my NI number, for which I have my interview later this week. 😁
Old Dec 9th 2019, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Ballot papers allegedly posted on 20th November - still not received. A record for UK to Hungary post. Funny that!
Old Dec 9th 2019, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'm on it... although best practice is to wait for my NI number
You don't require a National Insurance number to register to vote.

Old Dec 9th 2019, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TexanScot
You don't require a National Insurance number to register to vote.
I know, but I'd rather wait for it than have to update the registration later. Also, if you don't have one yet, you need to mail in copies of your ID documents (or so I've read).

Anyway, off-topic, but it's just one of those sequencing issues inherent in the bureaucracy of moving to a new country...

Last edited by Yankashire; Dec 9th 2019 at 7:34 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

I know, but I'd rather wait for it than have to update the registration later.
What do you mean by "update the registration"?

Once you're registered then you're registered.

Also, if you don't have one yet, you need to mail in copies of your ID documents (or so I've read).
Yes, they are entitled to ask for this if you don't give them a National Insurance number but photocopies will usually suffice.

Anyway, off-topic, but it's just one of those sequencing issues inherent in the bureaucracy of moving to a new country...
Understood.

I was an active member of a political party when I lived in the UK and I was one of those annoying people who knock on your doors with flyers asking how you're going to vote, so getting people registered to vote (and removing barriers to their doing so) is something I'm passionate about
Old Dec 9th 2019, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TexanScot
What do you mean by "update the registration"?

Once you're registered then you're registered.

Yes, they are entitled to ask for this if you don't give them a National Insurance number but photocopies will usually suffice.

Understood.

I was an active member of a political party when I lived in the UK and I was one of those annoying people who knock on your doors with flyers asking how you're going to vote, so getting people registered to vote (and removing barriers to their doing so) is something I'm passionate about
Fair enough. Having grown up in the US, I think there is some limited provision for resident non-citizens to vote in some local elections in some places, but the penalties are very severe if you get it wrong, so I personally wouldn't play around with it if I were in that position. As a foreigner in this country, therefore, I'm equally eager not to cause any trouble and just do things "normally". Crossing my fingers that that works out 😅

Also, after the UK leaves the EU, I imagine it's possible we'll lose the right to vote altogether (which is fine... I'm here at the sufferance of the UK government, after all 😆), so, unlike with my pre-settled status application, for example, I feel there's no urgency... I'll register in good time, when my materials are together. Then I'll look forward to diving into the mundane details of my local council's inner workings 😅

Last edited by Yankashire; Dec 9th 2019 at 8:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.