British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   UK Ballot Papers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/uk-ballot-papers-929536/)

lansbury Nov 27th 2019 5:20 pm

UK Ballot Papers

Ours arrived late yesterday afternoon, and are now on their way back. Looks like some councils at least are getting them out with a reasonable chance to get them back in time.

lansbury Nov 27th 2019 7:48 pm

Re: UK Ballot Papers

I've just realised having voted in every General Election for the past 50 years, this will be my last. Unless this one doesn't produce a clear result, I doubt there will be another one before the 15 year time limit rules me out.

BritInParis Nov 27th 2019 11:25 pm

If Boris gets a majority and his Brexit deal done then the Tories might finally get the long promised ‘Votes for Life’ Bill through the next Parliament.

ivanidea Nov 28th 2019 10:32 pm

I was surprised to find mine came with an international postage paid envelope too.

It was interesting to have a ballot paper with only the 3 main parties listed. The last time I voted in my local elections, there were a few more parties listed.

scrubbedexpat096 Nov 29th 2019 6:42 am

Originally Posted by ivanidea (Post 12771145)
I was surprised to find mine came with an international postage paid envelope too.

It was interesting to have a ballot paper with only the 3 main parties listed. The last time I voted in my local elections, there were a few more parties listed.

Lots of parties are standing aside to give those with similar Brexit ideology more chance of winning the seat.

Brexit party not standing against against conservatives.

And the most likely winner of green, liberal democrats and plaid cymru...

BritInParis Nov 29th 2019 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Phathamster (Post 12771230)
Lots of parties are standing aside to give those with similar Brexit ideology more chance of winning the seat.

Brexit party not standing against against conservatives.

And the most likely winner of green, liberal democrats and plaid cymru...

Probably quite likely in this case - Green and Brexit Parties standing aside for the Lib Dems and Tories.

mikelincs Nov 29th 2019 11:05 am

I also think that a lot of the real fringe parties, like the 'raving monster loonies' have had enough of elections with so many in short order that they just can't afford to lose another deposit.

Yankashire Dec 9th 2019 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12770610)
I've just realised having voted in every General Election for the past 50 years, this will be my last. Unless this one doesn't produce a clear result, I doubt there will be another one before the 15 year time limit rules me out.

I sympathize (-se?)... Having recently arrived in the UK and being a non-citizen, I cannot vote this Thursday, although campaign posters litter the town and my local friends are very engaged... I'm looking forward to watching the returns...

BritInParis Dec 9th 2019 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Yankashire (Post 12776249)
I sympathize (-se?)... Having recently arrived in the UK and being a non-citizen, I cannot vote this Thursday, although campaign posters litter the town and my local friends are very engaged... I'm looking forward to watching the returns...

You can register to vote in local elections if you’re keen to participate in the democratic process. Also helps build up your credit rating :)

Yankashire Dec 9th 2019 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12776256)
You can register to vote in local elections if you’re keen to participate in the democratic process. Also helps build up your credit rating :)

Thanks, I'm on it... although best practice is to wait for my NI number, for which I have my interview later this week. 😁

scrubbedexpat142 Dec 9th 2019 7:03 pm

Ballot papers allegedly posted on 20th November - still not received. A record for UK to Hungary post. Funny that!

TexanScot Dec 9th 2019 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Yankashire (Post 12776259)
Thanks, I'm on it... although best practice is to wait for my NI number

You don't require a National Insurance number to register to vote.

Yankashire Dec 9th 2019 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by TexanScot (Post 12776292)
You don't require a National Insurance number to register to vote.

I know, but I'd rather wait for it than have to update the registration later. Also, if you don't have one yet, you need to mail in copies of your ID documents (or so I've read).

Anyway, off-topic, but it's just one of those sequencing issues inherent in the bureaucracy of moving to a new country...

TexanScot Dec 9th 2019 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Yankashire (Post 12776297)
I know, but I'd rather wait for it than have to update the registration later.

What do you mean by "update the registration"?

Once you're registered then you're registered.

Also, if you don't have one yet, you need to mail in copies of your ID documents (or so I've read).
Yes, they are entitled to ask for this if you don't give them a National Insurance number but photocopies will usually suffice.

Anyway, off-topic, but it's just one of those sequencing issues inherent in the bureaucracy of moving to a new country...
Understood.

I was an active member of a political party when I lived in the UK and I was one of those annoying people who knock on your doors with flyers asking how you're going to vote, so getting people registered to vote (and removing barriers to their doing so) is something I'm passionate about :)

Yankashire Dec 9th 2019 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by TexanScot (Post 12776308)
What do you mean by "update the registration"?

Once you're registered then you're registered.

Yes, they are entitled to ask for this if you don't give them a National Insurance number but photocopies will usually suffice.

Understood.

I was an active member of a political party when I lived in the UK and I was one of those annoying people who knock on your doors with flyers asking how you're going to vote, so getting people registered to vote (and removing barriers to their doing so) is something I'm passionate about :)

Fair enough. Having grown up in the US, I think there is some limited provision for resident non-citizens to vote in some local elections in some places, but the penalties are very severe if you get it wrong, so I personally wouldn't play around with it if I were in that position. As a foreigner in this country, therefore, I'm equally eager not to cause any trouble and just do things "normally". Crossing my fingers that that works out 😅

Also, after the UK leaves the EU, I imagine it's possible we'll lose the right to vote altogether (which is fine... I'm here at the sufferance of the UK government, after all 😆), so, unlike with my pre-settled status application, for example, I feel there's no urgency... I'll register in good time, when my materials are together. Then I'll look forward to diving into the mundane details of my local council's inner workings 😅