U.S Bank Account

Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

drew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to all
Default Re: U.S Bank Account

i like Washington Mutual my husband waited until he was here going through processing before we set up our joint account.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

tinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud oftinalise has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by carin123
HSBC dont have any branches in Massachusetts, already spoke to them. Thats just my luck.
I think you can do the same with City Bank. Otherwise try a small bank like a credit union they seem to be easier to work around if you don't fit the mold.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

carin123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your info, i will contact them and see how i get on. I have also heard that if you are rejected by banks a few times this goes like a black mark against you, thats just my luck instead of worrying that i have no credit rating for when we move over, i probably will have black marks against my name.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

TonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really nice

Originally Posted by tinalise
I think you can do the same with City Bank. Otherwise try a small bank like a credit union they seem to be easier to work around if you don't fit the mold.
I'm guessing that is you are all above board most banks will deal with you, particularly if your company will be depositing your wages directly. Seems like everybodies experiences are different though - I was warned away from the smaller banks towards the big ones for exactly the same reason tinalise found the smaller ones to be better. Go figure!!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 12:38 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone please give me some advice or point me in the right direction.

First of all i am a u.s.c living in the u.k and have done for the majority of my life, i am in the process of moving back to the states with my family and getting all relevant documentation together.
But i am having bother opening a U.S bank account without being in the states. I have a S.S.N and passport. I have phoned the The Bank of America and US HSBC, but still no luck!
I have heard that people open accounts, but how do they do this and what bank did they use.
Just that i cant afford to travel over there at this time.

Thank for any hel given
cheers
Just a thought. Do you have a regular blue Amex card on your UK address ? If you do you should be able to change the address to your US one, even if it is a temporary address. Then you will have an account in the US when you arrive.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC dont have any branches in Massachusetts, already spoke to them. Thats just my luck.
really? last I looked, there was one in Boston...hmmm...wonder when they closed that down then...saying that, I can't say I remember seeing the HMV store there last time I was in town either

Edit: I'm not crazy, there's three brances of HSBC in Boston. - Federal St, High St, Congree St area.

Last edited by Bob; Oct 12th 2007 at 3:23 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:31 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonyLA
I think a lot depends on who you bank with in the UK and who you approach in the US.

If you bank with HSBC in the UK contact their International Division by phone - they should be able to get you all the forms you need and you can fill everything in BEFORE you go to the US and when you get there you will, in theory, have everything pre-approved and ready to go. Takes a few weeks though so if you are leaving soon just wait and walk into a bank there.

Failing that - I walked out of an HSBC branch in the US with a bank account, temporary check book and the ability to transfer funds same day I got a US address. I believe you will get pretty much the same service from any of the US national banks - forget the smaller ones.

Oh....HSBC have an account specially designed to help build up a credit rating quicker but I didn't pursue it so can't tell you much about it.
Wifey and I tried this - opened a joint HSBC account. NO HELP whatsoever in the cross-atlantic stakes and it took an hour to drive to the nearest branch (not too popular in New Jersey, but tons of them in Long Island where we originally opened the account.)

We ended up closing it and going with Bank of America.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Just an update and to let peeps know what i have found out, maybe this can help someone in the same situation.

I have made an appointment to see an advisor at the royal bank of scotland, appeared to be very helpful. They said that they are part of citizen bank in the U.S and i can open up a dollor account and a royal bank account and that way i can transferre funds whenever it suits me.
Although i still havent had alot of my questions answered at this moment like, credit score ect. i hope to find this out at the appointment, hey they may even have a better idea, maybe wishful thinking there!
Thanks for all help given, cheers, it means alot.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 6:25 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update and to let peeps know what i have found out, maybe this can help someone in the same situation.

I have made an appointment to see an advisor at the royal bank of scotland, appeared to be very helpful. They said that they are part of citizen bank in the U.S and i can open up a dollor account and a royal bank account and that way i can transferre funds whenever it suits me.
Although i still havent had alot of my questions answered at this moment like, credit score ect. i hope to find this out at the appointment, hey they may even have a better idea, maybe wishful thinking there!
Thanks for all help given, cheers, it means alot.

I asked at Bank of America this lunchtime.

If you have not lived in the USA for years and years they want you sat in front of them when you open the account. They also want you to have proof of residence, SSN etc etc with you at the time.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

hey i know, tried to open an account with the bank of america. Gave a u.s address and my ssn and got a e-mail asking to give them a phone, which i did lol, the guy at the other end probably thought i was off my head when i explained that i couldnt come into the branch as i was in scotland.
I have spoken to a few american banks now and they all say they will open an account for me only if i go to their branch.
So as i was saying maybe the royal bank of scotland/ citizen bank of america can help, fingers crossed. I will tell all when i know more!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Oh and by the way on the note of HSBC, after speaking to them today and they did ask where i would be moving to, i did state Massachusetts. Their reply was "oh we dont have many branches in Massachsetts, we have more branches in the west than in the east" or something similar to that.
That was the best advice they could give me and " once you are in the U.S you can open an account"
Old Oct 12th 2007, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Oh and by the way on the note of HSBC, after speaking to them today and they did ask where i would be moving to, i did state Massachusetts. Their reply was "oh we dont have any branches in Massachsetts, we have more branches in the west than in the east" or something similar to that.
That was the best advice they could give me and " once you are in the U.S you can open an account"
Old Oct 13th 2007, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and by the way on the note of HSBC, after speaking to them today and they did ask where i would be moving to, i did state Massachusetts. Their reply was "oh we dont have any branches in Massachsetts, we have more branches in the west than in the east" or something similar to that.
First time we moved to the US we opened a dollar Citibank account and a Merrill Lynch Cash Management account before we went.

This time my husband opened an account with a local bank as soon as he arrived, and just used UK credit/debit cards till the US bank account was up and running.

It will take you months to build up your credit rating anyway.

BTW if you're transferring funds check the rates with people like InterchangeFX, World First, Moneycorp, XETrade before you get your bank to do a transfer direct. If you phone around you should be able to get better exchange rates. You will have to open a trading account with whoever you use, which is worth doing now while you have lots of documentation to show where you live, who you are, etc, rather than waiting till you're in the US.

We just got $2.037 to the £1 from InterchangeFX.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 2:31 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonyLA
I was warned away from the smaller banks towards the big ones!!
Not a bad observation. Over in England we take our banks for granted, whereas these small jobbies in America can fold over and take your money with 'em.

Small banks = more risk.

Yes, I know Rushman, I'm observing another 'thing about America that isn't as good as England.'

But I had authentic pizza for lunch today and DAMN that stuff in England doesn't measure up!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

gt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nice

lol - I don't know who you spoke to at HSBC but they have this wrong - most of their US branches are on the East Coast (though they are mainly in NY State where they are one of the biggest banks)

There are actually relatively few on the West Coast.

Their website has a branch locator.

Regards
Sunil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.