Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Old Feb 6th 2020, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by andyrebell
No one has blamed anyone yet for creating this virus people just accepting that it is though it has harming economies isn't it.
And I thought English was your first language 😂😂

​​​​​Oh dear, I guess that science was not really part of the curriculum back in your day either...
Old Feb 7th 2020, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

And how come none of the brits on the diamond princess are sick and why no outbreak in York.
I have no idea, I’m neither a doctor nor an epidemiologist.

Why, are you?
Old Feb 7th 2020, 7:26 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

No one has blamed anyone yet for creating this virus people just accepting that it is though it has harming economies isn't it. And how come none of the brits on the diamond princess are sick and why no outbreak in York.
I think this has been pointed out to you before. If you write your posts in plain English, then people will be able to understand you. The first sentence, quoted above, is garbled and meaningless.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 8:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
I think this has been pointed out to you before. If you write your posts in plain English, then people will be able to understand you. The first sentence, quoted above, is garbled and meaningless.
Part of the reason why just one Brit so far has caught the Corona virus is basic maths. Out of 2700 passengers barely 10 percent are British citizens.

My understanding is it takes a fair bit of close contact in order to contract the virus, the nationality of a victim has absolutely nothing to do with the viability of the disease.

​​​​​
Old Feb 11th 2020, 9:38 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Cases now up to 8 with hundreds more potentially infected. So how long before they instigate a travel ban on UK nationals and what would that ban involve? Just being turned back at U.S immigration or being deported and banned for 10 years from returning, all approved ESTA's being revoked or the full removal of the UK from the visa waiver program? I ask this question because we travel in the April on QM2, a ship currently out of range of the virus. A ship currently virus free and likely to remain so unless this really ramps up as it has dodged the chinese/hong kong ports during the world cruise it is currently conducting.

Last edited by andyrebell; Feb 11th 2020 at 9:46 am.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 7:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Cases now up to 8 with hundreds more potentially infected. So how long before they instigate a travel ban on UK nationals and what would that ban involve? Just being turned back at U.S immigration or being deported and banned for 10 years from returning, all approved ESTA's being revoked or the full removal of the UK from the visa waiver program? I ask this question because we travel in the April on QM2, a ship currently out of range of the virus. A ship currently virus free and likely to remain so unless this really ramps up as it has dodged the chinese/hong kong ports during the world cruise it is currently conducting.
There are currently 7 countries in Asia that have reported more cases, a lot more cases, than the 8 reported in the UK, so the first sign of you having any need to worry, is for the travel ban being extended to other countries in SE Asia.

Then there are more cases in Germany and France than the UK, so presumably they would be ahead of the UK for travel restrictions.

I really think you're worrying excessively, and IMO if travel between the UK and the US was shut down it would likely be as a result of near total shutdown of all international travel globally - which needless to say, I think is rather unlikely.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 10:06 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are currently 7 countries in Asia that have reported more cases, a lot more cases, than the 8 reported in the UK, so the first sign of you having any need to worry, is for the travel ban being extended to other countries in SE Asia.

Then there are more cases in Germany and France than the UK, so presumably they would be ahead of the UK for travel restrictions.

I really think you're worrying excessively, and IMO if travel between the UK and the US was shut down it would likely be as a result of near total shutdown of all international travel globally - which needless to say, I think is rather unlikely.
So you think the China travel ban is unfounded?
Old Feb 12th 2020, 1:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth would you think I think that? There are almost 45,000 cases in China, and over 1,000 deaths!!!

As I noted above, there are double-digit numbers of cases in seven Asian countries, but still single figures in the UK, and most of those are linked to a known vector, so the problem appears to be fairly well contained in the UK, but China isn't just in a different league, it's off the chart.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 1:13 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I'd stay away from Brighton....
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...9tPyqF7Q_Gmv_M

. As a result, the city has become the centre of the crisis in the UK, with five of the eight cases identified across the country there.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 2:14 pm
Banned

Why on earth would you think I think that? There are almost 45,000 cases in China, and over 1,000 deaths!!!

As I noted above, there are double-digit numbers of cases in seven Asian countries, but still single figures in the UK, and most of those are linked to a known vector, so the problem appears to be fairly well contained in the UK, but China isn't just in a different league, it's off the chart.
I think the ban has been done to enrage the Chinese government and even Chinese people and weaken the Chinese position at a future negotiating table.

45000 cases is nothing. They had 30,000 cases of Flu in England in the first week of 2018 according to my reading of the Guardian yet no travel ban from UK was ever considered and most cases of this coronavirus appear to be no more serious than a cold or flu.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 2:32 pm

I think the ban has been done to enrage the Chinese government and even Chinese people and weaken the Chinese position at a future negotiating table. .....
I'd be interested to where you "think" the disease came from and why. Perhaps the Chinese government created it for some reason, or a renegade bio lab created, to undermine the Chinese government, or perhaps you think it was the US that created it and delivered it to the market in Wuhan using a drone operated by the CIA? Or perhaps it was the Basque separatists, or FARC who created to cause a distraction?
Old Feb 12th 2020, 3:06 pm
Banned

I'd be interested to where you "think" the disease came from and why. Perhaps the Chinese government created it for some reason, or a renegade bio lab created, to undermine the Chinese government, or perhaps you think it was the US that created it and delivered it to the market in Wuhan using a drone operated by the CIA? Or perhaps it was the Basque separatists, or FARC who created to cause a distraction?
I think it was created by the Romulans who came through time from the future to prevent the creation of the United Federation of Planets. Don't worry Captain Jean-Luc Picard will save us!

In all seriousness that is a question I am not prepared to answer on a public forum though I do think there is to more to it than we know. The virus is causing all of these problems in China and that part of the world because people in that part of the world have different standards of food prep and hygiene and may even have weakened immune systems and lungs from the poor air quality that live and breathe. But people in America don't really have those problems even if you are not insured. I do think perhaps the travel ban is unwarranted and I don't remember similar ban with SARS.

Last edited by andyrebell; Feb 12th 2020 at 3:22 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 5:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was created by the Romulans who came through time from the future to prevent the creation of the United Federation of Planets. Don't worry Captain Jean-Luc Picard will save us!

In all seriousness that is a question I am not prepared to answer on a public forum though I do think there is to more to it than we know. The virus is causing all of these problems in China and that part of the world because people in that part of the world have different standards of food prep and hygiene and may even have weakened immune systems and lungs from the poor air quality that live and breathe. But people in America don't really have those problems even if you are not insured. I do think perhaps the travel ban is unwarranted and I don't remember similar ban with SARS.
What travel ban are you talking about?
Old Feb 12th 2020, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What travel ban are you talking about?
The US is not permitting foreign nationals to enter the US if they have been to China in the previous 14 days, and US Citizens returning who have been to China in the last 14 days have to go into a CDC mandated quarantine. People are still free to travel from the US to China, but there are restrictions on returning and if a foreign national they are denying entry if the airline even allows you to board the flight.

US also has China on a level 4 travel warning, do not travel and warning US Citizens they may not be able to provide consular services in China.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

First case in London.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.