Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Old Feb 1st 2020, 10:12 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Failing to stop a few cases is not the end of the world, especially with a virus with an R-o of around 4.

Open borders could lead to disaster.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 10:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by andyrebell
I have never been to China so I don't know anything Chinese border controls. How can they tell if you have been to China? Is a chinese passport stamp similar to a UK/US passport stamp with dates on it or is it all in chinese writing which most people could not read. And what would stop a person from getting a new passport with no chinese stamp in it?
I have been to China. My passport has a stamp in both English and Chinese characters.
They native Chinese who don't speak english worth a damn are rude and arrogant and they will travel whether they are sick or not. They do not care.
Why should Chinese nationals speak English? Why don't you learn to speak Mandarin or Cantonese? And while you're at it, how about not being such a racist bellend?
Old Feb 1st 2020, 10:26 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I have been to China. My passport has a stamp in both English and Chinese characters.

Why should Chinese nationals speak English? Why don't you learn to speak Mandarin or Cantonese? And while you're at it, how about not being such a racist bellend?
Because English is the language of opportunity or so everyone keeps saying our used to say didn't they. And a lot do learn it there is money to be made telling english or american english in China.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 10:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Failing to stop a few cases is not the end of the world, especially with a virus with an R-o of around 4. ....
FWIW the 1918 flu pandemic is estimated to have had a R₀* of between 1.4 and 2.8, so an R₀ of 4 and a significant mortality rate is going to be a pretty big deal if the infections are not contained, either by intervention or naturally.

* R₀ is the number of infections that each new case causes - if R₀ = 1 the disease will spread, but only slow as each infection only leads to one additional infection. An R₀ of 4 has the potential to turn into a pandemic.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 10:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Because English is the language of opportunity or so everyone keeps saying our used to say didn't they. And a lot do learn it there is money to be made telling english or american english in China.
Only English speaking say that. Maybe broaden your horizons a tad.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 11:17 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Only English speaking say that. Maybe broaden your horizons a tad.
Yet many countries teach english as part of school education.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 11:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by civilservant
Failing to stop a few cases is not the end of the world, especially with a virus with an R-o of around 4.

Open borders could lead to disaster.
The time to truly be concerned is when we starting see deaths from the virus here in the Western Europe and America were we have better medical care, standards of living, better quality of air and perhaps even better standards of health.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been to China so I don't know anything Chinese border controls. How can they tell if you have been to China? Is a chinese passport stamp similar to a UK/US passport stamp with dates on it or is it all in chinese writing which most people could not read. And what would stop a person from getting a new passport with no chinese stamp in it?
Other countries have done this too.

Airlines are required to hand over a passenger manifest to TSA / US immigration before the plane leaves the ground. Immigration doesn't sit there flicking through each page of your passport. The plane is not allowed to access US airspace if this is not done. They will know if you have been to China. Last time I used one of the immigration kiosks at the airport it had my flight details displayed just from scanning my passport.

This is also true of European countries. You don't enter the UK on an airplane without British authorities already knowing.

US Citizens cannot be blocked from entering the US.

Old Feb 2nd 2020, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou

Airlines are required to hand over a passenger manifest to TSA / US immigration before the plane leaves the ground. Immigration doesn't sit there flicking through each page of your passport. The plane is not allowed to access US airspace if this is not done. They will know if you have been to China. Last time I used one of the immigration kiosks at the airport it had my flight details displayed just from scanning my passport.

This is also true of European countries. You don't enter the UK on an airplane without British authorities already knowing.

US citizens would be quarantined
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 1:31 am
Still alive

And many countries' schools teach Mandarin. What's your point?
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 5:47 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
And you should know better.

I visited China in 2008 with a tour group. We visited an open air market during a river cruise. Open air markets are very popular It was very dirty and smelly with geese and rabbits confined in small wooden crates trapped in their own filth and droppings, raw fish on display with more flies landing and taking off than planes at O'Hare on a busy day. I wouldn't have purchased a single food item in that place under any circumstances. Small wonder yet another virus out on the loose.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 8:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

And my English children are taught Mandarin at their school (as well as French & Spanish). Hopefully they’ll grow up and have an appreciation for different languages and cultures, and won’t be arrogant enough to expect everyone else to speak their language (or to look down on them or call them rude if they don’t).

Bet you’re one of those tourists that just shouts a bit louder in English aren’t you?
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 11:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by carcajou

They can if they are on the no fly list which is also the no cruise ship list can't they? And aren't there a handful of Americans that are on such lists? Not that such listings would be applicable to prevent spread of infection in this situation. But it has happened hasn't it

Last edited by andyrebell; Feb 2nd 2020 at 11:22 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 11:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
And my English children are taught Mandarin at their school (as well as French & Spanish). Hopefully they’ll grow up and have an appreciation for different languages and cultures, and won’t be arrogant enough to expect everyone else to speak their language (or to look down on them or call them rude if they don’t).

Bet you’re one of those tourists that just shouts a bit louder in English aren’t you?
Yeah but I also say, please thank you and excuse me or get out the bloody way

We never had the option much beyond learning Spanish, German or French. I think the same is true today in the English Cirriculum in the secondary schools. I think unless you are an expat kid or private school kid then maybe you have a few more learning options. If not I think it is just those 3.

Last edited by andyrebell; Feb 2nd 2020 at 11:23 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

They can if they are on the no fly list which is also the no cruise ship list can't they?And aren't there a handful of americans that are on such lists? Not that such listings would be applicable to prevent spread of infection in this situation.
No. They can't ban a US citizen from entering the US. As the earlier poster said US Citizens are being quarantined for 14 days but they can't deny entry.

A no-fly list means you can't get on a plane. They can't stop you from passing through immigration. Yes some Americans are on it if suspected of terrorist connections - and sometimes massive stuff-ups happen. When Ted Kennedy was still a Senator he got on it once and got blocked at an airport and had to call the Director of Homeland Security directly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.