TSA precheck

Old Apr 5th 2014, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default TSA precheck

I just flew out of SFO (domestic) for the first time since losing my coveted 'preferred' status with USAirways (which got me through the 'fast lane' at security). I was expecting a long delay standing in line with the unwashed masses. But to my surprise, in place of 'Preferred' on my boarding pass, it had 'TSA PRECHK'. At the entrance to security, I was directed over to a separate line, and there was no one in it (despite being 4pm on Friday), and I didn't have to take laptop out of bag, didn't have to remove shoes, etc. It was like the good old days! I was through in 2 minutes.

I have no idea why I got this 'TSA Precheck' status ... anyone have any ideas? I'm not complaining!
Old Apr 5th 2014, 4:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TSA precheck

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I just flew out of SFO (domestic) for the first time since losing my coveted 'preferred' status with USAirways (which got me through the 'fast lane' at security). I was expecting a long delay standing in line with the unwashed masses. But to my surprise, in place of 'Preferred' on my boarding pass, it had 'TSA PRECHK'. At the entrance to security, I was directed over to a separate line, and there was no one in it (despite being 4pm on Friday), and I didn't have to take laptop out of bag, didn't have to remove shoes, etc. It was like the good old days! I was through in 2 minutes.

I have no idea why I got this 'TSA Precheck' status ... anyone have any ideas? I'm not complaining!
I had this last time I took a domestic flight. I think it was Boston to Lake Clear, NY. The first TSA person, who looks at your boarding pass and directs you to a line, sent me to TSA Precheck, but my wife had to go through the regular. No shoe removal or any of that for me. The only thing we could think, I looked old and decrepit that day, maybe. Maybe they were sending the disabled and elderly through TSA Precheck. My wife is the same age but maybe doesn't look it!
Old Apr 5th 2014, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably based on your frequent flier history in the past making you a known low risk traveler, the TSA website has a few different possibilities, but if you a US Citizen, this one would be my guess as to why you got it.

"U.S. citizens of frequent flyer programs who meet TSA-mandated criteria and who have been invited by a participating airline."

Q. Who is eligible for TSA Pre✓™?
A. Travelers that are eligible for TSA Pre✓™ include:

U.S. citizens of frequent flyer programs who meet TSA-mandated criteria and who have been invited by a participating airline.
U.S. citizens with a Known Traveler Number.
U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, and Lawful Permanent Residents who are members of the TSA Pre✓™ application program.
U.S. citizens who are members of a U.S. Customs and Border Protection trusted traveler program, such as Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS.
Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS.
Foreign citizens who are members of Global Entry (see Global Entry eligibility) and not registered as a U.S. lawful permanent resident.
Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves, and National Guard.
TSA will determine an individual’s eligibility for TSA Pre✓™ on a flight by flight basis through an intelligence risk based analysis of passenger data.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Probably based on your frequent flier history in the past making you a known low risk traveler, the TSA website has a few different possibilities, but if you a US Citizen, this one would be my guess as to why you got it.

"U.S. citizens of frequent flyer programs who meet TSA-mandated criteria and who have been invited by a participating airline."

Q. Who is eligible for TSA Pre✓™?
A. Travelers that are eligible for TSA Pre✓™ include:

U.S. citizens of frequent flyer programs who meet TSA-mandated criteria and who have been invited by a participating airline.
U.S. citizens with a Known Traveler Number.
U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, and Lawful Permanent Residents who are members of the TSA Pre✓™ application program.
U.S. citizens who are members of a U.S. Customs and Border Protection trusted traveler program, such as Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS.
Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS.
Foreign citizens who are members of Global Entry (see Global Entry eligibility) and not registered as a U.S. lawful permanent resident.
Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves, and National Guard.
TSA will determine an individual’s eligibility for TSA Pre✓™ on a flight by flight basis through an intelligence risk based analysis of passenger data.
OK, I guess that's it! "U.S. citizens of frequent flyer programs who meet TSA-mandated criteria and who have been invited by a participating airline."

I am still in the USAirways program, just no longer 'preferred' due to not having flown enough in the last year.

This may be enough to tip the balance for those who are wondering, 'should I become a citizen' It really was quite sweet!

PS so I guess it's airline specific. I've been 'invited' by US Airways; if I fly United, whose FF program I'm also a member of but don't use very much, I wonder if I'd get it from them? This would be a big incentive to fly with one airline over another still!

Last edited by Steerpike; Apr 5th 2014 at 4:52 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

On our flight back from California on Thursday, I was given a sign that said I didn't have to remove my shoes, belt, etc and so I just breezed on through. My husband, behind me, had to have the full body scan. I told him it was because he had forgot his razor and hadn't shaved for a few days!
Old Apr 5th 2014, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
I had this last time I took a domestic flight. I think it was Boston to Lake Clear, NY. The first TSA person, who looks at your boarding pass and directs you to a line, sent me to TSA Precheck, but my wife had to go through the regular. No shoe removal or any of that for me. The only thing we could think, I looked old and decrepit that day, maybe. Maybe they were sending the disabled and elderly through TSA Precheck. My wife is the same age but maybe doesn't look it!
Bonus
Old Apr 5th 2014, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I guess that's it! "U.S. citizens of frequent flyer programs who meet TSA-mandated criteria and who have been invited by a participating airline."

I am still in the USAirways program, just no longer 'preferred' due to not having flown enough in the last year.

This may be enough to tip the balance for those who are wondering, 'should I become a citizen' It really was quite sweet!

PS so I guess it's airline specific. I've been 'invited' by US Airways; if I fly United, whose FF program I'm also a member of but don't use very much, I wonder if I'd get it from them? This would be a big incentive to fly with one airline over another still!
You don't have to be a citizen. My husband gets it for flying frequently.

Why that means he's not a terrorist I'm unclear.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, my LPR frequent flyer hubby gets this. It seems eminently sensible - it's fairly safe to assume that a mid-40s businessman with nationality from a friendly country, living here with his wife and kids, and regularly traveling back to Europe for meetings, probably isn't smuggling on explosives.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kodokan
Yes, my LPR frequent flyer hubby gets this. It seems eminently sensible - it's fairly safe to assume that a mid-40s businessman with nationality from a friendly country, living here with his wife and kids, and regularly traveling back to Europe for meetings, probably isn't smuggling on explosives.
AKA Profiling
Old Apr 5th 2014, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
AKA Profiling
Yep, expect so, even though they probably claim they don't do it.

As the only non-Hispanics in the large waiting room, we got completely profiled by the Civil Surgeon doing our PR medicals - it was the most cursory thing, in which he ticked all the psychological stuff without even asking us a question. The four of us were out in under 10 mins, and that included TB stabbing the kids.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 10:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
.... Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves, and National Guard. .....
And of course none of them are whacko nutjobs with PTSD or otherwise likely to "go postal!".

Originally Posted by Boiler
AKA Profiling
Ooooh, good Lord no! No no no no NO! No profiling, that would not be OK!

We might offend someone, or hurt their feelings!

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 5th 2014 at 10:19 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

I got this last Monday on a jet Blue trip from JFK to Sarasota, unfortunately in front of me were 2 families complete with strollers and lots of bags, which although they didn't have to drag stuff out ,by the time they had loaded everything up it was slower than the regular line !!!
Old Apr 5th 2014, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Let's face it the whole thing is a farce just meant to make you think they're dealing with threats.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Let's face it the whole thing is a farce just meant to make you think they're dealing with threats.
Bingo! 6 years of doing the same thing at Heathrow made me realize you are nothing mofe than a deterrent. A group that are determined and rescourceful will find a way. That said, US security always was shite, especially with internal flights, and reading this thread, seems it still is. Frequent flyers, business men, captains of industry, shouod make no difference! Everyone should be subject to the same stringent security checks!!! The fact some people can bypass part of the process is laughable!!!
Old Apr 6th 2014, 1:23 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

At San Jose Airport, they just randomly send people down the pre approved line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.