Wikiposts

True Friends.

Old Jun 6th 2010, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: True Friends.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They're your best friend forever as soon as you meet them, if they have nothing better to do at that moment.
Hmmm ... is that a flake or is that just phony? I think of flakes as being unreliable and lacking substance.

I still think I would move to a different neighborhood if I were you.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Hmmm ... is that a flake or is that just phony? I think of flakes as being unreliable and lacking substance.

I don't know - I'd only ever heard the word in movies before I came here and I thought it meant camp

Now I find it a convenient word to excuse the behaviour of people who never stick to their word. I have no expectations so I don't get disappointed.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know - I'd only ever heard the word in movies before I came here and I thought it meant camp

Now I find it a convenient word to excuse the behaviour of people who never stick to their word. I have no expectations so I don't get disappointed.
Whereas I'm not sure what you mean by "camp".

It's one of those words that's kind of hard to define. If someone said they were going to do something but didn't follow through I might say "well, she's always been a bit flakey" or similar but it doesn't necessarily mean that person is deliberately being negative ... more that they are a bit unreliable when it comes to following through, but may still mean well.

Love it - just found a definition on 'urban dictionary':
adj.,to be unreliable, and/or absent-minded, flighty, fickle. Generally unresponsible.

Much more succinct than mine!
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Whereas I'm not sure what you mean by "camp".

It's one of those words that's kind of hard to define. If someone said they were going to do something but didn't follow through I might say "well, she's always been a bit flakey" or similar but it doesn't necessarily mean that person is deliberately being negative ... more that they are a bit unreliable when it comes to following through, but may still mean well.

Love it - just found a definition on 'urban dictionary':
adj.,to be unreliable, and/or absent-minded, flighty, fickle. Generally unresponsible.

Much more succinct than mine!
It's used a lot by people around here to describe behaviour where you let people down/just do your own thing.

Tried to find an example of campness for you

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jun 6th 2010 at 10:11 am.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's used a lot by people around here to describe behaviour where you let people down/just do your own thing.

Tried to find an example of campness for you

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BYpehqxDoKE
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I take it to mean and I would use it in that context.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 11:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discoviking
I went to Texas once, down by Big Bend. I found that if I would walk down the street wearing a Cowboy hat like everyone else and say 'Howdy' they would respond. Belt buckle size didn't seem to matter, the hat was the key. And "Howdy'. Not 'Good Morning'. I am not making this up. Seriously.

To answer the original question, I have what I would call a few good friends over here, but I have met them through other avenues than work.

Seriously.....I don't think so.

Most people we met near Big Bend (very recently) were either hikers, bikers, campers or throw backs to the hippy era. Everyone was very very friendly and I don't even remember any cowboy hats.

Howdy is so last century, even in Texas

And yes I have some very "True Friends". Some we made right from the start, 21 years ago, and many more over the years we have been here.

Sometimes it takes a while but I think it is the same where ever you live, there are people you know that you really wouldn't want to class as good friends and there are people you have an instant affinity with. There are also friendships that you don't realize are "true" until a situation occurs and they are there for you. I found this out last year.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat097; Jun 6th 2010 at 11:57 am.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:06 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Yessssss! I find people in the US extremely friendly, very much like the people I was used to dealing with in Spain. There are fakes and flakes too but those can be found anywhere also... I've made a whole bunch of what I would consider "true friends" in the US luckily. To be honest, the only place where I really struggled to make any friends was England, where were you all while I lived there!
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:12 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Sometimes it takes a while but I think it is the same where ever you live, there are people you know that you really wouldn't want to class as good friends and there are people you have an instant affinity with. There are also friendships that you don't realize are "true" until a situation occurs and they are there for you. I found this out last year.
A very fair point. I suppose I shouldn't complain, having barely been here five minutes...
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously.....I don't think so.

Most people we met near Big Bend (very recently) were either hikers, bikers, campers or throw backs to the hippy era. Everyone was very very friendly and I don't even remember any cowboy hats.

Howdy is so last century, even in Texas
Well, this was last century - in 98. And it was actually in Fort Davis, by McDonalds observatory, not Big Bend. Sorry about that, at least I got the state right . It was December of 98, and it snowed the day we were there, too. Got about 1/2 inch of slush as I recall.

Last edited by discoviking; Jun 6th 2010 at 12:20 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

teatime has a brilliant futureteatime has a brilliant futureteatime has a brilliant futureteatime has a brilliant futureteatime has a brilliant futureteatime has a brilliant futureteatime has a brilliant futureteatime has a brilliant future

Totally agree with Sally Redux - don't even bother now just take the phoniness for what it is -
Old Jun 6th 2010, 1:24 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I had no real lasting friendships until last couple of years. I proactively found friends through meetup.com.

I have mentioned before that I joined a newly formed book club and it is the best decision I have ever made since being here. We all agree that the stars were aligned the night we got together, we now meet up for other events I have close friendships with many members and was hired by a members dad.
I also made another friend through mutual interests who i see now an again.

I have some good friendships from my last job but they have since moved away. I would recommend meetup as people are actively looking for friendships.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anabella
Yessssss! I find people in the US extremely friendly, very much like the people I was used to dealing with in Spain. There are fakes and flakes too but those can be found anywhere also... I've made a whole bunch of what I would consider "true friends" in the US luckily. To be honest, the only place where I really struggled to make any friends was England, where were you all while I lived there!
Hello stranger!! How are you doing?

Someone has nicked your Tetris trophy.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discoviking
Well, this was last century - in 98. And it was actually in Fort Davis, by McDonalds observatory, not Big Bend. Sorry about that, at least I got the state right . It was December of 98, and it snowed the day we were there, too. Got about 1/2 inch of slush as I recall.

Fort Davis is a very cool place to visit. Did you go to Marfa and see the "lights"???
Old Jun 6th 2010, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Fort Davis is a very cool place to visit. Did you go to Marfa and see the "lights"???
I saw them! I still don't know what they were.

And when we went to Big Bend we went to the Starlight Theatre for dinner, and ended up sitting next to a cowboy and his girlfriend. And in Texas I found that wherever I went people said 'Howdy' and if they were wearing a cowboy hat they raised it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.