True Friends.

Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default True Friends.

Would you say you have true friends in the US? I don't mean someone you hang out with when your invited to tag along or people you only see at work. I mean the kind of person you will know will be there for you when you need them?

I have worked at the same company for 6 years now and it has taken untill the last 12-18 months to say that I true friends that are beyond just people I work with. It was a long haul.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: True Friends.

I have lived here for 2 1/2 years and still waiting to make 'friends'.
I don't know if it's because where i live but the people here are just not friendly or even sociable at all. The neighbours don't even talk, bloody hell, if i passed them in the street i wouldn't recognise them, i don't even know what they look like!
I must admit though, the older generation are more 'sociable' if i am out and about i often say 'good morning' as i pass people, only the older generation seem to reply.
Like i said, it must be Killeen because when i went to Colorado lots of people were friendly, i found Louisiana the same too.
I would like to know if others experience the same as me though.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 1:24 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza777
I have lived here for 2 1/2 years and still waiting to make 'friends'.
I don't know if it's because where i live but the people here are just not friendly or even sociable at all. The neighbours don't even talk, bloody hell, if i passed them in the street i wouldn't recognise them, i don't even know what they look like!
I must admit though, the older generation are more 'sociable' if i am out and about i often say 'good morning' as i pass people, only the older generation seem to reply.
Like i said, it must be Killeen because when i went to Colorado lots of people were friendly, i found Louisiana the same too.
I would like to know if others experience the same as me though.
I ask from personal experience, but are you living off post? If you are that could well have something to do with it. I experienced the same thing when we lived in VA-on post was fine, off post, no.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Since we bought our house, 5 years ago, I can say we've made "true" friends with some of our neighbors. I don't know whether its because we were all new to the neighborhood, or we had kids about the same age and we all met at the toddler park across the street, or we just connected. Whichever, its really nice during the summer when we all get together. And of course not having any family in the area, it gives me some peace of mind to know we have good friends nearby for any emergency.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 3:43 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!! We have been here 2 years and shortly after we got here we were invited over to one of hubbys work collegues house to cookout with them and their friends - we have been a solid group ever since! Last year hubby was asked to be their best man, and this year they bought the house across the street from us! In 2 years we have gone on vacations together, we all hang out at each others houses a few times a week, and its very handy if we need something doing on our house cos they are here in a flash!!

I also have some other very good friends - maybe people around here are just extra friendly!!!
Old Jun 6th 2010, 3:44 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

We are friends with a couple who I would consider true friends - we have boys the same age and that's how we met. We meet up a couple of times a month for meals at each others houses, look after each others kids and go out independently of being a group.

I know the names of our immediate neighbours but apart from that we hardly see anyone - the kids don't play outside (it's too hot!) and the neighbours drive out of the garages in the morning and back in at night closing their garage doors behind them. It's partly our fault though - there have been a few neighbourhood 'events' but we didn't go to them! I feel the worst for my son as he would like more friends to play with but I am quite content with my own company.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of friends.

Wouldn't put any of them in life time mates category, the kind who will bail you out of the clink 4am in the morning because you got caught taking a leak behind a car kind of mate.

Oh, everyone I used to work with, I only hang out occasionally with one of them and still only occasionally say hi to maybe 3 or so on FB.

Couple of mates up in Maine I guess, but since moving down to Mass, don't have much to do with them any more.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:12 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

no
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

No American friends - all complete flakes.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
No American friends - all complete flakes.
Now I've asked this before, as im not too sure of the word flakey
does it mean a) unreliable or b)false?! or c) both
Old Jun 6th 2010, 5:29 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
I always think of a flake as bein nutter.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 5:32 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I always think of a flake as bein nutter.
Or a drama fueled time waster.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 6:56 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Plenty of friends.

Wouldn't put any of them in life time mates category, the kind who will bail you out of the clink 4am in the morning because you got caught taking a leak behind a car kind of mate.
Yeah, buddies who'd help you move some furniture, sure, but not the sort of lifetime mates that become like family.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
They're your best friend forever as soon as you meet them, if they have nothing better to do at that moment.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza777
I went to Texas once, down by Big Bend. I found that if I would walk down the street wearing a Cowboy hat like everyone else and say 'Howdy' they would respond. Belt buckle size didn't seem to matter, the hat was the key. And "Howdy'. Not 'Good Morning'. I am not making this up. Seriously.

To answer the original question, I have what I would call a few good friends over here, but I have met them through other avenues than work.

Last edited by discoviking; Jun 6th 2010 at 9:46 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.