Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is it true that 70% of Americans don't have passports?

Is it true that 70% of Americans don't have passports?

Old Jan 12th 2020, 7:38 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it true that 70% of Americans don't have passports?

Originally Posted by robin1234
Is that just full passports? What about state-issued enhanced drivers licenses?
It is just passports.

In Oregon the number of passports will increase this year. The powers that be have completely messed up issue of enhanced driving licenses, and will not start until three months before the deadline to use them for travel. They would need to issue about 1 million in that time, and the DMV can't do it. People are getting a passport to use for domestic air travel.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
It is just passports.

In Oregon the number of passports will increase this year. The powers that be have completely messed up issue of enhanced driving licenses, and will not start until three months before the deadline to use them for travel. They would need to issue about 1 million in that time, and the DMV can't do it. People are getting a passport to use for domestic air travel.
How on earth could they mess that up so badly?

I don't like jumping on the bandwagon where people suggest the government isn't capable of doing things efficiently, but situations like this do sound pretty scary. This transition has been in the works for ... a very long time!
Old Jan 12th 2020, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I had an interesting experience in 2002 when visiting San Diego and taking an organised coach tour to Tijuana in Mexico.

When returning to the US we had to get off the coach with all our belongings outside the US entry point, and walk with them through Customs and Security. We were given very strict instructions not to speak to, or smile at, any of the officials.

I always carry my Canadian passport, have no other acceptable photo ID. I think I was the only Canadian on the tour.

I handed my passport over, and the official looked all through it, while muttering ....

"I do wish that ALL Americans had passports. Americans are dumb, aren't they?"

I gulped, and said "Maybe some of them".

"No, we all are. We should have passports". The he gave me a big smile.

Meanwhile the guide was standing on the other side watching me with horror on his face
Old Jan 12th 2020, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Isn’t that just a fancy description of an enhanced DL?
Not in NY (at least). You can get a REAL-ID-compliant license that is not enhanced. In fact, when I did mine, that was the only option for non-USCs. They are also cheaper.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 8:35 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

I don't like jumping on the bandwagon where people suggest the government isn't capable of doing things efficiently, but situations like this do sound pretty scary. This transition has been in the works for ... a very long time!
The Oregon legislature decided they were not going to issue enhanced driving licenses until the Federal government agreed to pay the cost. The Federal government kept granting extensions to allow the older licenses to be used for ID, and then one day they said no more extensions, and we are not paying. Oregon will start issuing enhanced ID on July 6th, with the old licenses being useless for travel from Oct 1st.

That assumes the new computer system at the DMV, installed for enhanced ID, works. Oregon and computer system upgrades is a whole other ball game.

Last edited by lansbury; Jan 12th 2020 at 8:40 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like jumping on the bandwagon where people suggest the government isn't capable of doing things efficiently, This transition has been in the works for ... a very long time!
But how many people have been aware of it?
It's hardly been well publicised

I wonder whether California is in that much better shape than Oregon:
1) This State has NEVER (at least to my knowledge) issued EDLs. In fact, I had to Google to see what that was
2) CA. will start to issue Real ID Compliant Driver Licenses / IDs beginning in about 2 weeks but.....
3) How many travellers here, completely unaware of the impending regulation, will find themselves stopped in their tracks at airports in October, unable to board their flights ?

The DMV does warn about it in the stuff they sent re: my license renewal. Even the envelope containing what they mailed says "STOP ! " in BOLD, super-size typeface on the back and then goes on to warn of the upcoming changes
But...If not for the fact that my current Driver License expires this year - I wouldn't have known of the new regulation.

I hope the media takes this up and SOON !
Old Jan 12th 2020, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they are good for travel to Canada, and, I believe, for boarding cruises that call at various destinations in the Caribbean. I believe it’s an important part of the answer to the question of why many Americans don’t have full passports - people earlier in the thread mentioned how large and varied the US is. Well, add in Canada, and that’s a huge area accessible without a full passport.

I have a passport and an enhanced DL, just a small convenience, I travel to Canada dozens of times a year, and don’t need to get out my passport. But I know loads of people who only have an enhanced DL (folks go over to Canada for shopping, visiting family etc. where I live.)

Enhanced license for WA and BC are sufficient for crossing by land or by sea, but need a passport for air.

If I were eligible for an enhanced license I would get one, one less ID to renew and pay fees for the better, but I would be stuck with only using US airports, so I guess I still need a passport.

Old Jan 12th 2020, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
CA. will start to issue Real ID Compliant Driver Licenses / IDs beginning in about 2 weeks
They're already in use. They have a bear in the top right hand corner.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

ONE identity document that shows your date of birth and true full name, such as a valid U.S. passport, certified copy of U.S. birth certificate, valid Permanent Resident Card, etc.

ONE document showing your name and full SSN, such as a Social Security card, W-2, pay stub showing full SSN.

TWO different documents proving California residency that include the first and last name and mailing address that will be shown on your REAL ID driver license or identification card. Examples include a mortgage bill, home utility or cell phone bill, vehicle registration card, and bank statement.

Doesn't seem a passport is required, just that one can be used to meet the identity requirement, but so can a Certified US Birth Certificate which anyone born in the US should either have or can obtain.

https://realid.dmv.ca.gov/what-is-re...is-faq-heading

Originally Posted by MMcD
That's about to change however for Americans who don't have passports because...

Beginning on the first of October 2020 NO ONE (Americans included) will be able to board any flight (domestic or otherwise) or enter any secure Federal building without what is being labelled a
REAL ID Compliant Driver License or ID card. This differs from driver licenses/ID cards issued previously.
A valid passport however is deemed to be a REAL ID Compliant document.

I learned about this when I received notification from the DMV that my driver license would be due for renewal in Feb.

Thought adding this would be helpful in case my post confuses anyone: https://www.tsa.gov/real-id
Old Jan 12th 2020, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

Oregon, OK and NJ all seemed to be unable to get it going with sufficient notice, Oregon and Oklahoma both have extensions, and NJ is under review, every other state managed, and appears to territories missed and one has an extension and one is under review.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id
Old Jan 12th 2020, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

NJ is issuing REAL ID licenses as part of a staged rollout but at the moment you have to book an appointment, there are only a limited number and they book up immediately.

I've got one for next month to upgrade my license which I booked in November...!

The previous (Christie) administration didn't take it seriously at all so when the new governor and cabinet came in to power in 2018 they had to basically start from scratch.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vespucci
They're already in use. They have a bear in the top right hand corner.
Agreed! My g/f renewed her license Oct 1 2019 and got the new Real ID card.

Old Jan 13th 2020, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by retzie
Not in NY (at least). You can get a REAL-ID-compliant license that is not enhanced. In fact, when I did mine, that was the only option for non-USCs. They are also cheaper.
So what is 'enhanced' if not the 'real-id' aspect ... ?
Old Jan 13th 2020, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Enhanced DL proves US citizenship so can be used to cross land borders and is considered REAL ID compliant.

Non citizens can get REAL ID but not an Enhanced DL.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 2:32 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

As I have both a UK passport and a US green card I'm not bothering with the Real ID PA driver license. So long as the non-real ID one works to buy alcohol I'll be OK although, my passport is also accepted for booze, but in PA the green card is not!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.