Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is it true that 70% of Americans don't have passports?

Is it true that 70% of Americans don't have passports?

Old Jan 13th 2020, 3:00 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it true that 70% of Americans don't have passports?

The TSA guys keep warning me that I need to get a Real ID DL every time I go through security. Since I have four other Real IDs, not particularly concerned.

For what it's worth, *MOST* folks on here will find it easy to get a Real ID DL. People on this site generally have enough ID that is tied together to be able to satisfy the requirements. For those born and raised here, it is a mixed bag. If all their documents are under the same name, probably easy. If they've changed names, divorced, use aliases, were never issued a birth certificate (some tribes), from Puerto Rico (where names are treated and recorded differently), never updated SSA records with name changes for or after marriage, etc, it gets very messy very quickly. Ironically, it often requires less documentation to get a US passport than a DL, and then use the new passport as one of the requirements for getting the DL.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 2:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Well, they are good for travel to Canada, and, I believe, for boarding cruises that call at various destinations in the Caribbean. I believe it’s an important part of the answer to the question of why many Americans don’t have full passports - people earlier in the thread mentioned how large and varied the US is. Well, add in Canada, and that’s a huge area accessible without a full passport.

I have a passport and an enhanced DL, just a small convenience, I travel to Canada dozens of times a year, and don’t need to get out my passport. But I know loads of people who only have an enhanced DL (folks go over to Canada for shopping, visiting family etc. where I live.)

I'm the odd duck out. Even on internal flights I only use my US Passport for boarding the plane. And that is the booklet and not the card.

When I went to exchange my NYS DL for my MS one three years ago, I brought my NYS DL, US Passport and CRBA to the DMV. Assumed I would be getting a RealID DL. Nope only the regular DL was issued even though all my documents were looked at and copied by the counterperson. So I'm assuming you have to literally ask for it here in order to get one. Will I go back and get another one? Doubtful that I will before my license expires in 7 years.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Was MS issuing real ID 3 years ago? Maybe possible they had not started yet wirh Real ID when you exchanged?

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm the odd duck out. Even on internal flights I only use my US Passport for boarding the plane. And that is the booklet and not the card.

When I went to exchange my NYS DL for my MS one three years ago, I brought my NYS DL, US Passport and CRBA to the DMV. Assumed I would be getting a RealID DL. Nope only the regular DL was issued even though all my documents were looked at and copied by the counterperson. So I'm assuming you have to literally ask for it here in order to get one. Will I go back and get another one? Doubtful that I will before my license expires in 7 years.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar experience at the end of 2018; I thought I was going to be living primarily in AZ so got an AZ license, using my passport, CA drivers license and other requested docs; was issued a 'standard' DL rather than the Real ID one for reasons I'll never understand.

The main reason I want to get a RealID DL rather than use my passport is that I only religiously carry my phone and my wallet everywhere I go. I keep my PP safe and would hate to have to remember to retrieve it before a flight.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 5:53 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be the case that US military traveled on a military id card instead of a passport, but not sure if that is still how it works.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I just think it's one more thing to potentially lose if you're carrying a passport.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
It used to be the case that US military traveled on a military id card instead of a passport, but not sure if that is still how it works.
Military travels on a special No Fee passport. I had to get one even though I had a regular passport.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I just think it's one more thing to potentially lose if you're carrying a passport.
I'll agree there, if only travelling domestically and if you have other suitable ID's, why carry a passport.

I am always worried about losing stuff when travelling, I have to carry my drivers licence, passport and PR Card for Canada, and surprised I haven't lost one of them yet in the mess airports can be and how many times someone wants an ID these days when flying.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 12:28 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Not worth filling out the form for a Real ID. I tried to online but got nowhere. I will use my passport instead
Old Jan 14th 2020, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Not worth filling out the form for a Real ID. I tried to online but got nowhere. I will use my passport instead
Something to reconsider at next renewal. In NC it's documents you should have in a safe, but does require in person visit.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I'll agree there, if only travelling domestically and if you have other suitable ID's, why carry a passport.

I am always worried about losing stuff when travelling, I have to carry my drivers licence, passport and PR Card for Canada, and surprised I haven't lost one of them yet in the mess airports can be and how many times someone wants an ID these days when flying.
I once left an iPad on a plane . I cannot be trusted to remember ANYTHING! So I've drilled it into my skull that I must always have THREE things with me - keys, wallet, phone - wherever I go. And even then, occasionally, I pull out of the driveway without my phone! When I travel internationally I obviously have more stuff to deal with, so I wear a travel pouch around my neck!

Women have it a lot easier in some ways as they carry purses ... though my g/f is constantly changing purses (fashion statement ...) and often seems to forget to transfer stuff ...
Old Jan 14th 2020, 1:39 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I once left an iPad on a plane . I cannot be trusted to remember ANYTHING! So I've drilled it into my skull that I must always have THREE things with me - keys, wallet, phone - wherever I go. And even then, occasionally, I pull out of the driveway without my phone! When I travel internationally I obviously have more stuff to deal with, so I wear a travel pouch around my neck!

Women have it a lot easier in some ways as they carry purses ... though my g/f is constantly changing purses (fashion statement ...) and often seems to forget to transfer stuff ...
I’ve a terrible habit of leaving things behind (last item: a Belstaff jacket on a train in Kyiv ). Like you I’ve perfected the muscle memory three item pat check of wallet-phone-keys before I leave the flat.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vespucci
They're already in use. They have a bear in the top right hand corner.
Yes, California has been issuing them since at least mid-2019 when I got mine. It's really (ha!) not that onerous:- one proof of identity, one proof of SS number and two proofs of address:

https://realid.dmv.ca.gov/your-real-id-checklist/#gf_5

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 14th 2020 at 2:27 am.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 5:33 am
Account Closed

Passports left on planes is so common as well as ipads and related. Passenger only realizes when they get to customs and oops no passport...

Hotels I have worked at some had boxes and boxes of cell phones, tablets, chargers, at one 350 room hotel we had a whole room filled with stuff people left.

Most dont realize til they cant come back and most wont pay the shipping to get their stuff back.

Originally Posted by Steerpike

Old Jan 14th 2020, 11:48 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd add another factor not yet mentioned but often cited as the #1 reason more Americans don't have a passport or travel to places that require passports: it's really expensive to get anywhere where you need a passport from the US. If you live in the UK and want to Spain for the weekend, there are plentiful cheap flights. Compare that to what a flight from the US to Europe (the most likely destination requiring a passport.) A week in Europe from the US is a pricey proposition.

Last edited by Hiro11; Jan 14th 2020 at 11:55 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.