Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Tropical Storm Henri

Tropical Storm Henri

Old Aug 22nd 2021, 11:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tropical Storm Henri

We are currently in Gorham , NH. Low cloud, persistent rain. I assume this is the periphery of Storm Henri. No word from our daughter on Cape Cod, but I don’t think the bad weather got there yet.

Connecticut and Long Island people, stay safe! What’s happening there?
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 11:56 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tropical Storm Henri

It has become one of those familiar situations - Henri has been downgraded to a tropical depression, which means wind speeds are much lower (good!) but rainfall amounts are huge, and the storm is slow-moving. So high rainfall amounts (power outages, I believe) in NY Mohawk Valley, CT and western MA. Here in Gorham the sun is poking through. Supposedly the storm will track east now, heading out to the Gulf of Maine via Portsmouth, ME vicinity.

They warn that death and destruction from these storms is mostly from high rainfall amounts (flooding, downed trees, etc.,) which is more dangerous than the high winds of a hurricane or tropical storm. So we shall see.

We are heading north of the storm, hopefully, to the Waterville, ME area…
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 1:05 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Not much except rain in Fairfield county, drove up to my lake house in Litchfield county yesterday. Not really any wind to speak of (have seen much more in thunderstorms) but it did rain all day.. driving up and back was good, way less cars on the road, but I did note the bands of rain, it would be heavy and then go light and then heavy again as I drove.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 5:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Only moderate rainfall and no winds in my corner of Fairfield County (CT). But because nothing is ever easy here in the woods, a tree came down on Saturday before the storm and we had no power all day. Lines still across the road and no internet/phone/cable. But because it is not a big widespread disaster, no one seems to give a damn!
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 5:30 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Only moderate rainfall and no winds in my corner of Fairfield County (CT). But because nothing is ever easy here in the woods, a tree came down on Saturday before the storm and we had no power all day. Lines still across the road and no internet/phone/cable. But because it is not a big widespread disaster, no one seems to give a damn!
I was driving to the City on Saturday AM and I saw dozens of utility trucks coming up I95… I guess they kept going…
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 6:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I was driving to the City on Saturday AM and I saw dozens of utility trucks coming up I95… I guess they kept going…

I think so! The road block is customer service (I use the term loosely …) who always insist the problem has to be inside the house. I would like to be there when the repair person reports in that he had to take a detour to get to the house because of the wires down across the road. But in the meantime, we have to wait until tomorrow for that to happen, with no service.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 6:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think so! The road block is customer service (I use the term loosely …) who always insist the problem has to be inside the house. I would like to be there when the repair person reports in that he had to take a detour to get to the house because of the wires down across the road. But in the meantime, we have to wait until tomorrow for that to happen, with no service.

Hope your service gets restored soon. When we lived in NJ, the first thing I did when the weather got bad was to boil the kettle, so we could make a cuppa, because I knew we would lose power.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 7:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hope your service gets restored soon. When we lived in NJ, the first thing I did when the weather got bad was to boil the kettle, so we could make a cuppa, because I knew we would lose power.
Thanks, JG — at least we have electricity, it’s just the tech stuff that is out.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 8:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, JG — at least we have electricity, it’s just the tech stuff that is out.
That’s good. Losing leccie is pretty miserable, ours was off for over a week during Sandy.
Old Aug 24th 2021, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of rain here in Sleepy Hollow, NY but no ill effects for us, just got to watch the road outside turn into a stream as usual, but as we’re on a hill it always flows straight past.

The new drainage system we had installed in our rental property in West Hartford, CT worked admirably and the basement did not flood like it used to, which was nice.

The only family member affected was my mother-in-law in Narragansett, RI who lost mains power for about 24 hrs but she has a stand-by generstor and solar panels so that wasn’t a problem.
Old Aug 24th 2021, 1:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Our daughter, on Cape Cod, was prepared for the bad weather - with high storm surges and strong winds predicted. She pulled all her boats out of the water, and hunkered down at home.

In the end, she reported that one plant on her deck tipped over.