Trip to New York

Old Feb 13th 2010, 4:08 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to New York

Originally Posted by cathy22w
I was going to add Battery Park to the list. You can get the Staten Island ferry from there, which is 20 mins each way and free. You get a decent view of the Statue of Liberty, and a great view of Manhattan from the ferry.
That's what we did one of the times I was there too, get a really good view for free!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:24 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

We just got back yesterday from New York! We rented a 2 bed apartment in east village, $700 for 4 nights - split between 2 couples it was a decent price!! We left there early in the morning and got back late at night so it was perfect!

Def go to the statue of liberty and ellis island, times square, brooklyn bridge, empire state, go see ground zero (I was shocked at the size of it!), Grand central station, 5th ave, we loves staying in east village with the millions of bars and places to eat!

Im still recovering from all the walking, just about to go through all the photos we took.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:38 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
We just got back yesterday from New York! We rented a 2 bed apartment in east village, $700 for 4 nights - split between 2 couples it was a decent price!! We left there early in the morning and got back late at night so it was perfect!

Def go to the statue of liberty and ellis island, times square, brooklyn bridge, empire state, go see ground zero (I was shocked at the size of it!), Grand central station, 5th ave, we loves staying in east village with the millions of bars and places to eat!

Im still recovering from all the walking, just about to go through all the photos we took.
oh yes, i forgot that was one of my favourite things on my last trip was walking over the Brooklyn Bridge

glad you had a good time
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.airbnb.com/

Might find somewhere decent and cheap to stay there for a few days...
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:40 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Trip to New York

A good place to stay with a child is at the Embassy Suites hotel....you get a spacious two-bedroomed suite (most hotel rooms in NYC are tiny) 2 TV's, a full cooked to order breakfast and even a daily manager's reception (free drinks and snacks, you leave a tip for the bartender).

The Embassy Suites is downtown, near Ground Zero, Battery Park/ferries for Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island, South St Seaport, Chinatown etc. and near the subway:

http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_...TTKYCSGBJC32EQ

Check out Time Out New York magazine online (and buy one when you arrive!) for ideas on where to go, what's on, kids guide etc:

http://www.timeoutny.com

PS: if you want to see a Broadway show, you might even want to book well ahead for tickets for the most popular shows suitable for children as you won't find them at the discount TKTS booths (unless they're the really crap, restricted view seats)...no.1 show is 'Wicked' and it's sometimes difficult to get tickets as every tourist in NY seems to want to see it ...you might want to miss shows like Billy Elliott and the Lion King which I think are in London's West End.

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:42 pm
lush

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.airbnb.com/

Might find somewhere decent and cheap to stay there for a few days...
omg...2nd picture to come up was of this place! I want to go!!!!!!

http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15667

ok, thread hijack over
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:44 pm
lush

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Highly recommend theatermania.com. I just booked my sister and I tickets for West Side Story at $40 off per ticket using the theatermania discount code
Old Feb 13th 2010, 6:29 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm making a big list.

We had chosed Rockerfeller Centre( I stand corrected Hiro11) as I had read the views were better than the Empire State Building, especillay with a kid as they don't have to look over the wall. I don't want to do 2 observation decks in the long weekend.

We really don't care about the size of the rooms, we also never spend any time in them, just sleep. So Midtown or Times Square would probably be a good location for us?

The bus tour things sound great, and I will definately look into them.

Although, I would love to see something on Broadway. Both me and my hubby would rather saw our ears off them go to a musical, we will look what else is on though.

Thanks again everyone, keep it coming
Old Feb 13th 2010, 6:38 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
We had chosed Rockerfeller Centre( I stand corrected Hiro11) as I had read the views were better than the Empire State Building, especillay with a kid as they don't have to look over the wall. I don't want to do 2 observation decks in the long weekend.

The bus tour things sound great, and I will definately look into them
wise choice re Rockefeller Center vs Empire State Building

also, if the weather's good, consider the Circle Line boat tour: there are several routes but the full one goes all the way round the island of Manhattan in about three hours. And they sell beer on board.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 8:14 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Trip to New York

Originally Posted by N1cky
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm making a big list.

We really don't care about the size of the rooms, we also never spend any time in them, just sleep. So Midtown or Times Square would probably be a good location for us?

The bus tour things sound great, and I will definately look into them.

Although, I would love to see something on Broadway. Both me and my hubby would rather saw our ears off them go to a musical, we will look what else is on though.

Thanks again everyone, keep it coming
OK if you want Times Square/Midtown here are some ideas:

http://www.applecorehotels.com

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza hotel a few times....it's in Times Square where 7th Ave meets Broadway with fab views out of the window (ask for a Broadway/7th Ave facing room) even better if you can get on a Club floor (free hors d'oevres/cocktails, brekkie etc.)

Also stayed at the Westin Hotel, one block back from Times Square so the views are not quite as good as the Crowne Plaza.

The Novotel hotel is also directly on Times Square, as is the Renaissance Hotel, Double Tree Suites.

Cheaper options may be the Holiday Inn at Herald Square or the Holiday Inn Express near Penn Station. I had a free overnight stay at the Holiday Inn in Chinatown, don't recommend it.

You do NOT want the Pennsylvania Hotel opp Madison Square Garden....a hole and has had reports of bed bugs. Don't know why it's allowed to be open, should be condemned from what I've read about the place!

Your 8 year old would probably love Chinatown (Gong Xi Fa Cai! Happy Lunar New Year! ) and lots of yummy food there too.

http://gonyc.about.com/od/neighborho.../chinatown.htm
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:25 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

So excited. Just got an awesome rate to stay at The Plaza, just waiting for confirmation from them.

Aggh, I'm really giddy
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

i am in New York - getting ready to leave in an hour!! the weather was/is really nice... Could not beleive the line of people waiting for taxis at the airport - wow!!