Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Travelling to the UK

Travelling to the UK

Old Aug 26th 2020, 10:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to the UK

Originally Posted by Banoonagh
.... The event is important enough to me to travel, life is short and family is so special. This year is my mum's 60th, my sisters 40th, and my nan's 90th! Tragically, our baby passed away from a congenital defect, just before COVID got real, and y'know those times when you just need to SEE family, missing this would be a life-long regret - global pandemic or not. We were planning on getting an air bnb in the Lake District and all staying together for the time period - I'm wondering if hikes in the hills are out of the question!
So these family members are important enough to you that that you "must" spend time with them this year, but not important enough to you that you will protect them from a virus infection that could be fatal or has unknown long-term health consequences.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 11:13 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notaclue
See my post. Nothing is different. It was a 100% normal trip for me.
Just curious, did you travel on 1 or 2 passports? I am under the impression that US peeps are barred entry (??).
A dually friend of mine traveled to US (SE) and used UK pp on return .... basically is quarantining, and did have someone do a check to ensure they were where it was said where they were to be (don't know if it were in-person or just a landline phone call). ... I'd imagine it was the latter and prob based on where one came from w/in US was a factor.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Just curious, did you travel on 1 or 2 passports? I am under the impression that US peeps are barred entry (??).
A dually friend of mine traveled to US (SE) and used UK pp on return .... basically is quarantining, and did have someone do a check to ensure they were where it was said where they were to be (don't know if it were in-person or just a landline phone call). ... I'd imagine it was the latter and prob based on where one came from w/in US was a factor.
Legally you have to depart and enter the US using your US passport. The UK doesn't care which passport you use.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Legally you have to depart and enter the US using your US passport. The UK doesn't care which passport you use.

Actually they do..... prior to the automatic machines, was told by a UK border official, (as I presented my US passport but then when I spoke I revealed I was a Brit) "WE (meaning the Border Authority) would much prefer it if you would use you British passport to enter the UK. Thank you"

No smile either...
Old Aug 28th 2020, 10:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Banoonagh
We were planning on getting an air bnb in the Lake District and all staying together for the time period
Rules in the UK for self catering accommodation are 2 households together only. We rent properties, one through Air BnB, and our agencies are very hot on this and only allowing people to book once they’ve checked this and signed a declaration.

Something else to factor in, the rules may change between now and then though.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Usually yes, but at the moment I doubt you'd be allowed into the UK if you are travelling on a US passport and you are unable to show that you are either (i) actually a British citizen, or (ii) meet one of the "essential" criteria to be allowed to entier th UK - in fact I doubt the airline would let you on to the plane in the first place.
Looks like they just need quarantine information

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control
Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Actually they do..... prior to the automatic machines, was told by a UK border official, (as I presented my US passport but then when I spoke I revealed I was a Brit) "WE (meaning the Border Authority) would much prefer it if you would use you British passport to enter the UK. Thank you"

No smile either...
That's so that they can check if the re is a deportation order or warrant out for you. It's not a legal requirement. I don't have a current UK passport so technically I have to use my US passport.