British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Travelled to UK during Covid (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/travelled-uk-during-covid-934471/)

notaclue Aug 22nd 2020 1:05 am

Travelled to UK during Covid

Hi all,

I couldn’t find the previous post about this but just some info for anyone traveling.

I nipped over to Scotland for a week to get away (some of you know why).

Other than being one of nine passengers on the plane, nothing is different. The UK border couldn’t have cared less, nor could the US.

I completed a form on both sides and handed it to immigration.

For anyone worried about flying, it’s probably safer than ever. Nine people on a plane with 300 seats. Similar numbers replicated on all flights taken. Masks the whole flight and staggered boarding/disembarking.

I did this as a LPR/UKC. Oh and Lorne sausage made it through customs even with a bag search!

andyrebell Aug 22nd 2020 6:25 pm

Re: Travelled to UK during Covid

Originally Posted by notaclue (Post 12900320)
Hi all,

I couldn’t find the previous post about this but just some info for anyone traveling.

I nipped over to Scotland for a week to get away (some of you know why).

Other than being one of nine passengers on the plane, nothing is different. The UK border couldn’t have cared less, nor could the US.

I completed a form on both sides and handed it to immigration.

For anyone worried about flying, it’s probably safer than ever. Nine people on a plane with 300 seats. Similar numbers replicated on all flights taken. Masks the whole flight and staggered boarding/disembarking.

I did this as a LPR/UKC. Oh and Lorne sausage made it through customs even with a bag search!

Was food/drink served at the same time to all 9 persons or were the meals staggered so some people could keep masks on whilst other ate? Although you may have been far enough apart for that perhaps not be an issue.

notaclue Aug 23rd 2020 1:07 pm

All served at once. We pretty much had personal service from the flight crew - there was as many of them as us.

This picture was mid flight. This area of the aircraft was all mine!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...b86f76e24.jpeg

Dmac_ Sep 6th 2020 7:51 pm

Thanks for this. For the good of my mental health, I'm probably going to take a socially distanced trip to see the folks. This answers my question on whether it's worth paying for business class or not.

Where did you fly to in Scotland?

notaclue Sep 8th 2020 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dmac_ (Post 12906658)
Thanks for this. For the good of my mental health, I'm probably going to take a socially distanced trip to see the folks. This answers my question on whether it's worth paying for business class or not.

Glasgow

Dmac_ Sep 8th 2020 3:21 pm

Not direct, I’m guessing? That’s where I’m gonna head to and as far as I know, the only BA flights connect in London?

robin1234 Sep 8th 2020 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dmac_ (Post 12906658)

I flew LHR to BOS, one way, in late June, on BA. Since I was quite apprehensive in terms of staying as safe as possible, I flew Business Class instead of regular. £1,950 instead of £400. There were 27 people on the flight, and six of us were crammed into the small Business compartment. So I believe I would have had better social distancing in coach! And saved a load of money!

Dmac_ Sep 9th 2020 5:06 am

That does make some sense - probably some of the only people on these transatlantic flights right now will be immigrants visiting family or people in similar situations. Americans aren’t going to travel to a country that makes them stay indoors for two weeks, and everyone else can’t even enter the US.

Thanks for the info, I’ll probably do JFK to DUB on Aer Lingus and hop on that little turbo prop flight over to Glasgow.