Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Old Aug 19th 2016, 2:20 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default 18% off Delta awards to Europe

Need to book within a week.

ONE WEEK ONLY: 18% Discount on Delta Awards to Europe - View from the Wing
Old Aug 19th 2016, 2:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Computer system permitting.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:06 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else applying for the new Sapphire Reserve card? The annual fee of $450 seems steep, until you factor in the $300 credit.

Hubby applied and approved, card will be here in a few days

Chase Sapphire Reserve Review and Application Link
Old Aug 24th 2016, 10:48 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Anyone else applying for the new Sapphire Reserve card? The annual fee of $450 seems steep, until you factor in the $300 credit.

Hubby applied and approved, card will be here in a few days

Chase Sapphire Reserve Review and Application Link
I can't, thanks to Chase's new-ish rule excluding people who have had 5 new cards (from any bank) in the previous 2 years. Let's just say I'm a card or two over that limit...

But great offer, and I'd have been all over it if I could.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 10:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I can't, thanks to Chase's new-ish rule excluding people who have had 5 new cards (from any bank) in the previous 2 years. Let's just say I'm a card or two over that limit...

Just applied and was approved, even showing up in my online Chase account already. Will cancel at least one other Chase card to save on the fee, and hopefully use the $300 travel credit each year, to be fee neutral.

Thanks N1cky for the heads up.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 11:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Tonrob,

If you have Chase Ultimate Rewards earned through one card and then get a second Ultimate Rewards card. Is that two separate rewards accounts, or do the rewards pool in one account?
Old Aug 25th 2016, 10:31 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by lansbury
Tonrob,

If you have Chase Ultimate Rewards earned through one card and then get a second Ultimate Rewards card. Is that two separate rewards accounts, or do the rewards pool in one account?
The rewards are in separate accounts, but online functionality makes it easy to shuffle points between those accounts whenever you like.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:53 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

Unlucky

Just applied and was approved, even showing up in my online Chase account already. Will cancel at least one other Chase card to save on the fee, and hopefully use the $300 travel credit each year, to be fee neutral.

My plan is similar to yours, I'm not like Tonrob, I can't juggle all these cards
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky

My plan is similar to yours, I'm not like Tonrob, I can't juggle all these cards
Plus all the annual fees.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 5:08 pm

I've just booked 4 nights at the Andaz in Costa Rica, I used 2 free nights from my Hyatt credit card signup, and 30,000 points that I'd earned from staying in Kauai last month. Room rate is $800 per night. I had planned to use hubbys 2 free nights instead, but they expire 1 week before we go.

I was going to use them on a long weekend trip to Denver, but working for a travel agency has its perks, and I got the Grand Hyatt for $65 a night (not worth wasting free nights on). I transferred 26,000 points from my Chase Ultimate awards, and used 33,000 points for 3 of us to fly return in Southwest to Denver.

Going to use my new Reserve card to book our Costa Rica flights, that's $1k of my needed spend for all those lovely points.

Now got to decide where to use hubbys 2 free nights.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 9:42 pm

Plus all the annual fees.
Gosh yes.

The cards for hubby's account arrived this morning. I've already put return flights to Costa Rica, 3 nights accommodation, and 1 global entry on the card. Not going to have any problems putting $4k on this one in 3 months then

My card wasn't approved immediately, however, I now see it in my account, so I guess that'll be here in the next few days.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:10 pm

Just had an email from UPS to say cards come tomorrow. I am having a tooth implant done Thursday morning. That is just over 50% of the 4k. I shall suffer thinking about the bonus points it is helping me earn. Normal spending will complete the rest of the 4K
Old Aug 30th 2016, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I shall apply for the CSR in a month or so. I still have $2k of bonus spend to do on my recently acquired Marriott Rewards card and have already time-shifted a bunch of Christmas spending cash to Amazon for the MileagePlus Explorer card I've just completed the bonus on, so no point getting the CSR now as I really don't have the spending overhead right now to make the bonus, and don't want to start in on wholly manufactured spending.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

If you are thinking about cancelling Sapphire Preferred you could always product change it to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited if you don't already have them instead of cancelling?
Old Aug 30th 2016, 11:51 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Olly_
If you are thinking about cancelling Sapphire Preferred you could always product change it to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited if you don't already have them instead of cancelling?
That would preclude her from ever being eligible for the sign-up bonuses for those cards. Not to say that what you suggest isn't a valid strategy under certain circumstances (e.g. preserving the history on a long-standing line of credit).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.