Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:44 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

RIP Bluebird.... sad day.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:03 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Good Delta award availability to London and beyond

Points Guy reviews sudden influx of Delta award seats on European flights. Won't last so act quickly if you're interested.

Linky.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 11:14 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6 Things to Consider When Choosing a Credit Card for Large Purchases

Just in case it's relevant for anyone.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 1:50 am
Septic Sprout

Default Excellent AA Business Class Award Availability to Europe This Summer

Quick share in case of use to anyone.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/01/aa-business-class-award-availability-to-london-summer-2016/
Old Jan 29th 2016, 10:46 pm
Septic Sprout

Exclamation Shitloads of AA trans-Atlantic (and trans-Pacific) award space just opened up

Linky.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 10:47 pm
Septic Sprout

Default 400 IHG hotels about to change award prices

Includes a new top-end category that costs 60,000 points.

Linky.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 4:28 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 400 IHG hotels about to change award prices

Originally Posted by tonrob
Includes a new top-end category that costs 60,000 points.

Linky.
Hong Kong goes up - Houston goes down. Deal.... NOT.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Tonrob
My wife and I are going to be changing banks and will be getting new credit cards. We always pay them off in full every month so interest rates don't matter but I am interested is something that offers airline miles with no annual fee. What would you recommend considering it will be our one and only credit cards.
Are the capital one cards a good possibility?

Thanks
JM
Old Mar 5th 2016, 7:14 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Tonrob
My wife and I are going to be changing banks and will be getting new credit cards. We always pay them off in full every month so interest rates don't matter but I am interested is something that offers airline miles with no annual fee. What would you recommend considering it will be our one and only credit cards.
Are the capital one cards a good possibility?

Thanks
JM
I'd go for something that offers points that can be transferred into a number of different airline programs in order to maintain maximum flexibility.

My go-to cards are ones that either earn Chase Ultimate Rewards or Citi Thank You Points. There are several cards that earn in each programme (you can get more than one). Different cards give bonus points depending on the category you're spending in. I've mentioned a few in the thread so far, but feel free to have a Google. Top get a good view of latest offers look here.

P.S. I've never found anything interesting enough in Capital One's portfolio to warrant an application.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 10:10 am
Septic Sprout

Sorry there's not been many updates for a while. I travel a crazy amount with work these days and so less quality time for BE. Flown close to 40,000 miles this year already...

Thought'd I'd post a bit of a round-up of what I've been reading on the internet recently.

First, here's a nice story about a couple who flew first class to Dubai then the Maldives, staying in an overwater bungalow, all funded by miles and points earned from credit card sign-ups. In my opinion this required planning and a bit of time investment, but definitely do-able for a couple. It's a bit of an advert for the particular blogger who featured the story, but in fairness all the info required was presented there.

A reminder about dining programs (1,000 free United miles to begin with in this case).

A list of which airlines Starwood points transfer to, along with details of the highest-ever AMEX Starwood sign-up offer (valid until 30th March), including a refer-a-friend offer. Get into Starwood while you can, as it's very uncertain what will happen to the programme after the merger with Marriott if executed.

'Public' credit card offers (the ones you just stumble upon when growing the web) are often not the best offers available. Here's a good article regarding how to get yourself targeted for personalized offers from AMEX. I never used to receive these at all, but a couple of months ago I signed in and simply updated my personal information, and since then I've received 3 offers that are double what's offered if you just browse on AMEX's site.

Similarly, how to get the best Chase sign-up offers. Chase is tightening the screw now on approvals (they will decline you if you have had too many recent approvals for any credit cards, Chase or not), so it's even more important to make sure you're going for the best possible offer when you apply.

Best credit card offers for March as assessed by the Points Guy, along with a few words on approvals.

Citi Thank You Points 25% bonus when transferring to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, and whether this is a good use of points or not.

News of a new Chase Freedom Unlimited card that's coming. I've written lots about the benefits of Chase's Ultimate Rewards programme over the years, so this is good news.

Hope some of this is helpful to you. Happy to engage in conversation about any of this, or anything else in the miles or points world. The depth of my answers may depend on where you catch me in my travel schedule, but there are also others on here who can help.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 11:12 pm
Septic Sprout

Default 80K Chase Marriott offer

And whether you should take it...
3 Reasons to Focus on the Marriott 80,000 Point Signup Bonus Now - View from the Wing
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 11:25 am
Septic Sprout

Default Big Hilton bonuses with AMEX

The AMEX Hilton cards currently have the biggest ever bonuses for new applicants. Mommy Points (blogger) covers here:

Highest Hilton Credit Card Bonus Ever: 100,000 Points! - Mommy Points
Old Apr 6th 2016, 11:11 am
Septic Sprout

Default Good award availability to Europe on AA and UA

Article on improved availability (up to 4 seats) on certain ex-US routes - may be helpful to families:

Good Summer & Winter Award Space for 4 Passengers to Europe in Business Class With United and American - View from the Wing
Old Apr 20th 2016, 12:39 pm
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

I have a system of maximizing my spending using a system I call cycling my money. Recently, a major new cycle made it possible for me to hoard many more points than previously. I trade my points for gift cards, cash and airline tickets.

I use a good all-around rewards credit card, the Fidelity Investments-branded Amex, for purchases. It pays 2 Worldpoints per $1 spent.

I use Swagbucks, which pays for activities such as searches, and have installed their toolbar. Recently, they added a gift card purchase site which pays Swagbucks for every purchase. It's called My Gift Card Plus. This site frequently pays 100 point bonuses for making purchases.

Buying a gift card using a points cc is two cycles.

Next, I take a gift code and use it at the AAdvantage website for airline miles, or sometimes the Swagbucks toolbar has a better points offer.

That's 3 cycles.

Some sites have a rewards program, such as eBay. The site is giving rewards for purchases now.

That's 4 cycles.

I'm on my way to receiving my latest Swagbucks reward, a $25 Home Depot gift card. They've paid me hundreds' worth of gift cards over the years. I will spend it at a site that pays me more points or miles.

That's 5 cycles.

Around and around we go. That's cycling, full max for the money.

What do you think of this system, and can it be improved? Maybe our points-hoarding oracle, Tonrob, can chime in. I think some of this may work only in the US and Canada. You'd have to check it.

Last edited by manekeniko; Apr 20th 2016 at 12:42 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody know of a way of using 200,000 AMEX points at any Belize hotels, ideally on Ambergris Key?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.