Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling cheaply and well using miles and points

Originally Posted by tonrob
Ok - so you have a good variety of choices flying from SFO. The best card offer out there in general right now (if you can meet the spend) is the Citi AA Executive card giving 100,000 miles after spending $10K in 3 months. I wrote about that one recently. Mrs tonrob and I have 2 each already and counting.

That said, AA (or BA) will levy steep fuel surcharges on trans-Atlantic trips, so United could be a better bet.

I always advocate making more of a strategy out of this than simply applying for one card. While Chase offers a United card with a 50K bonus, also look at the Chase cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points, as these can be transferred instantly to United, BA, Delta, Southwest and quite a few other programmes. The beauty is that you hold your balances inside Ultimate Rewards until you need to spend them, so you have flexibility of pushing points towards any of a potential list of programmes depending on where you need to go and which airlines have availability for miles. There are also several cards that earn UR, and you can apply for each and every one of them spread over time, so you can earn far more in bonuses than simply getting the United card only.

Google Chase Sapphire, Freedom, INK (several varieties of that one). I've written about UR and the associated cards quite a bit in this thread so far so go back and have a rummage around. I have all of these cards, and they all give bonuses for spending money on different things, but still pool the points in one big pot all together for me to use. So I carry a few of them in my wallet and pull out whichever one gives me the best return for the type of transaction I'm going to make. For online shopping I also go through the UR shopping portal to earn even more points there.

Have a read of this blog entry from One Mile at a Time.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm going to start looking back through the thread for info on the UR cards and the different Chase offers.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 5:30 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Just back from a 2 week trip to Europe to visit family and chill out over a few $1 beers in Prague on the way back.

AUS-DFW-FRA on AA First Class 60,750 AA miles + $5
2 nights in the Excelsior Hotel next to Frankfurt Hbf = $140 paid with Barclaycard points

FRA-LHR-MAN = 4,500 Avios + $27
LBA-PRG = £87.50 paid with Barclaycard points
2 nights Best Western Hotel Moran in Prague = 60 Euro paid with Barclaycard points

2 nights Suite in Radisson Blu Alcron Prague - 66,000 Carlson points

PGR-LHR-AUS in Club = 57,000 Avios + $324 (my biggest expense on the trip)

All in all a pretty cheap holiday. I'm happy enough.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 5:17 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
Just back from a 2 week trip to Europe to visit family and chill out over a few $1 beers in Prague on the way back.

AUS-DFW-FRA on AA First Class 60,750 AA miles + $5
2 nights in the Excelsior Hotel next to Frankfurt Hbf = $140 paid with Barclaycard points

FRA-LHR-MAN = 4,500 Avios + $27
LBA-PRG = £87.50 paid with Barclaycard points
2 nights Best Western Hotel Moran in Prague = 60 Euro paid with Barclaycard points

2 nights Suite in Radisson Blu Alcron Prague - 66,000 Carlson points

PGR-LHR-AUS in Club = 57,000 Avios + $324 (my biggest expense on the trip)

All in all a pretty cheap holiday. I'm happy enough.
Nice haul! You're really getting into this!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 8:04 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Nice haul! You're really getting into this!
Quick question. We have a Europe trip coming up in July. Austin/Philly/Athens/Crete/Rome/London/Boston/Austin

For the two nights we have chilling in Boston on the return should I use my Hilton points and stay at the airport (we arrive 8pm from LHR)

or

apply for the Chase Fairmont card and use the 2 nights signup bonus for the Fairmont Copley Plaza????
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
apply for the Chase Fairmont card and use the 2 nights signup bonus for the Fairmont Copley Plaza????
That is a much nicer hotel and right on the T...you'll be able to have a lot more fun nipping out and doing stuff.

If the tunnel work hasn't accidentally collapsed the hotel
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:09 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That is a much nicer hotel and right on the T...you'll be able to have a lot more fun nipping out and doing stuff.

If the tunnel work hasn't accidentally collapsed the hotel
Yes. Airport Hilton is absolutely fine - if you want to stay at the airport. Otherwise pick somewhere downtown. Do you have any SPG points? I like the funky rooms at the W.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Dodgykeeps will become famous soon enoughDodgykeeps will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Citi 100K AA offer

Ok kids, this is officially the best credit card deal that I've seen for a fair while (assuming you're set up to make the spend).

Citi has an offer for the Executive AA Mastercard that gives 100,000 AA miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 3 months. There is also a $200 statement credit (after spending $200 on anything) and an Admiral's Club membership. Annual fee is $450 (not waived for first year).

People have been successful in multiple applications for this card. The general unwritten rule seems to be one application every 8 days and no more than 2 in 65 days. This offer is too new for people to have been credited the bonus on their 2nd card, but many have received two or more of other types of Citi card in the past (myself included) and received the bonus each time.

There are also multiple reports from people who have canceled the card after the first statement hits (after hitting the spend and receiving the bonus) and receiving a refund of the $450 fee.

With everything in the 2 paragraphs above, these are unpublished rules that have been ascertained through trial and error by a fair number of people. Your mileage may vary (and Citi doesn't care what you read on the internet so please don't go pointing any of this out to them).

I'm just polishing off the spend on my first one, and then will likely apply for another for myself (2nd) and Mrs tonrob (1st) at the weekend.

MommyPoints has an application link:http://boardingarea.com/mommypoints/....qiZEaFNm.dpbs
Was thinking of getting one of these as we're planning a trip back to the UK next summer. There are 4 of us going so I was hoping this could get us 2 free flights (from LAX).
Is this still as good a deal in light of the changes that AA is making from June 1? If not, any thoughts on something better?
Thx
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:20 pm
Country Member

Yes. Airport Hilton is absolutely fine - if you want to stay at the airport. Otherwise pick somewhere downtown. Do you have any SPG points? I like the funky rooms at the W.
I do have SPG points. Not sure if I have enough though. Was planning on using them for the King George Hotel in Athens.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:35 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Dodgykeeps
Was thinking of getting one of these as we're planning a trip back to the UK next summer. There are 4 of us going so I was hoping this could get us 2 free flights (from LAX).
Is this still as good a deal in light of the changes that AA is making from June 1? If not, any thoughts on something better?
Thx
AA Award availability is apparently going through a bit of a dry spell - before launching into this do you know whether it's common to see 4 Saver-level award seats available on one flight on that route? When you say next summer are you talking about a couple of months away or do you mean 2015?

While it is the best credit card deal out there IMHO, there is always a good amount of risk if you do something like this pinning your hopes on one outcome only.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Dodgykeeps will become famous soon enoughDodgykeeps will become famous soon enough

AA Award availability is apparently going through a bit of a dry spell - before launching into this do you know whether it's common to see 4 Saver-level award seats available on one flight on that route? When you say next summer are you talking about a couple of months away or do you mean 2015?

While it is the best credit card deal out there IMHO, there is always a good amount of risk if you do something like this pinning your hopes on one outcome only.
Thanks for replying. My wife and 2 kids would be going back next summer for about a month (mid June to mid July) - they would have reasonable flexibility on the flights. I would probably fly separately due to work commitments so if I can get free flights for the 3 of them at 40K total each that would work great!
Old Apr 25th 2014, 12:21 am
Septic Sprout

Default End of SunTrust Delta debit card for new accounts?

Rumour has it that SunTrust bank will stop offering their Delta debit card for new accounts sometime in June. Existing Delta debit card holders are fine for now apparently.

I love (I mean love) this debit card as it can do things a credit card cannot, including being used at Walmart for bill-pay. Using this card you can pay your MasterCard and Visa (but not AMEX) credit card bills at WalMart MoneyCenters, which means not only do you earn miles for buying stuff but you also earn miles for paying your bills as well. There are small fees involved, always under $2 per bill.

I have earned shitloads, I mean shitloads, of Delta miles this way, so if anyone wants in on the action then get your finger out now. I live many hundreds of miles from the nearest SunTrust branch, but was able to open my account online via live chat. There have been stories of SunTrust purging accounts that are outside their regular catchment area, but many accounts seem to fly under this radar. I have my salary deposited there each month, which I figured couldn't harm.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:16 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of SunTrust Delta debit card for new accounts?

Rumour has it that SunTrust bank will stop offering their Delta debit card for new accounts sometime in June. Existing Delta debit card holders are fine for now apparently.

I love (I mean love) this debit card as it can do things a credit card cannot, including being used at Walmart for bill-pay. Using this card you can pay your MasterCard and Visa (but not AMEX) credit card bills at WalMart MoneyCenters, which means not only do you earn miles for buying stuff but you also earn miles for paying your bills as well. There are small fees involved, always under $2 per bill.

I have earned shitloads, I mean shitloads, of Delta miles this way, so if anyone wants in on the action then get your finger out now. I live many hundreds of miles from the nearest SunTrust branch, but was able to open my account online via live chat. There have been stories of SunTrust purging accounts that are outside their regular catchment area, but many accounts seem to fly under this radar. I have my salary deposited there each month, which I figured couldn't harm.
Forgive my ignorance. I have a suntrust account, incidental to my mortgage. The card is an s/t gold check card. I assume a delta account is different?
If I were able to convert to this Delta card and use it extensively, I would be able to earn shitloads of delta airmiles, right?And delta airmiles get me what?, given I don't fly much- can I put them towards a flight to uk somehow?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:35 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by RICH
Forgive my ignorance. I have a suntrust account, incidental to my mortgage. The card is an s/t gold check card. I assume a delta account is different?
If I were able to convert to this Delta card and use it extensively, I would be able to earn shitloads of delta airmiles, right?And delta airmiles get me what?, given I don't fly much- can I put them towards a flight to uk somehow?
The Delta debit card is a standalone product that can (must) be paired with one of a small number of ST checking account types. I think mine is called Balanced Checking, but ask ST whether your account qualifies. There's a $75 annual fee for the card, but that's peanuts if you use it right.

I've never redeemed Delta miles to a Europe, only domestically. Delta have a reputation for offering poor value per mile, but I've found that hasn't mattered to me given the ease of earning. Buyer beware - research needed. That said, I've redeemed for quite a few domestic first class flights, sold some on the grey market and am still earning more. Before you go stockpiling there are changes afoot to Delta' program in January so some Googling required. I won't research and write an article on Delta redemption because there's so much already written out there. Check out some of the blogs I regularly link to, including View from the Wing, Points Guy, Frequent Miler and Milevalue.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:08 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

The Delta debit card is a standalone product that can (must) be paired with one of a small number of ST checking account types. I think mine is called Balanced Checking, but ask ST whether your account qualifies. There's a $75 annual fee for the card, but that's peanuts if you use it right.

I've never redeemed Delta miles to a Europe, only domestically. Delta have a reputation for offering poor value per mile, but I've found that hasn't mattered to me given the ease of earning. Buyer beware - research needed. That said, I've redeemed for quite a few domestic first class flights, sold some on the grey market and am still earning more. Before you go stockpiling there are changes afoot to Delta' program in January so some Googling required. I won't research and write an article on Delta redemption because there's so much already written out there. Check out some of the blogs I regularly link to, including View from the Wing, Points Guy, Frequent Miler and Milevalue.
Thanks, I will investigate further.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 10:40 am
Septic Sprout

Default Latest round of credit card applications

It's now 65 days (well, 66 actually) since the application for my first Citi AA Executive card, and reports are that you can do apps 8 days apart but no more than 2 every 65 days. I got my 2nd 9 days after my first, so just applied for my 3rd this morning. At 110,000 miles a pop I'm going to keep doing these as long as Citi still allows it.

Would be naughty, of course, not to bundle some other apps on the same day, so I went for the following as well:

AMEX Platinum Mercedes Benz - 50,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $5K in 3 months. $200 airline reimbursement, $475 annual fee. It's just over 12 months since I closed my last one of these so assume I'll be successful. Also of note is that AMEX is reportedly tightening their rules on 1st May so that if you've ever held a particular card type before then you won't be able to get the bonus again, so this is last-chance saloon.

Chase INK Bold Visa - 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points after spending $5K in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived for first year. I've held this card before, but back then it was issued as a MasterCard, not a Visa. Chase has a track record of treating it as a new card 'type' if they change from MC to Visa (or vice versa), so it makes you eligible for the bonus again (Chase is normally 'once per lifetime' per card type).

Combined haul for these 3 cards (after spend) is circa 220,000 miles/points, so fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.