Travel back to UK

Old Jan 1st 2022, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all
Default Re: Travel back to UK

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I could have just left it to get it done at LHR before checking in but if it had come back positive then that would also have been a PITA.
I did this yesterday and got the PITA version. Got to the Express testing site at T3 5 hours before our flight. An hour and a half later got called back due to sample contamination, they said they’d push through a second test marked urgent. It didn’t arrive in time and DH had to fly without me while I had to book a new flight. I had to go demand a test result so I could have ready to fly status to book another flight home. No connection that day and typing this in a JFK airport hotel before heading back for my flight leg.
you win some you lose some. They let slip there’d been a problem with a lot of LAMP results, so maybe one to avoid.
Old Jan 4th 2022, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

We got back yesterday. We ordered the emed test kits before we left for the UK and took them with us. Although we were not able to get the free UK tests ourselves due to unavailability, friends and family were happy to supply us. Did a free UK test before the emed to check we were -ve and all went fine. No appt but had to wait 20 mins for a verifier to be available. Awoke the next day to a delayed flight notification. Delayed by 1.5 hrs and missed our connection in ATL by 2 mins. Was able to get standby on a later flight.

In all, a lot of things could have gone wrong/been cancelled, but it went more or less as planned. Great to see family and friends, especially older members, and the kids enjoyed seeing the home country. Saw the sun for about 1/2 hr in total. The rental estate car I hired was not available so got given a pickup truck (with covered bed) instead! Great for luggage carrying, not so great for navigating back streets of old, small English cities.
Old Jan 5th 2022, 5:38 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Darn, have a PCR testing booked for next Wednesday at Heathrow.
With the soon to be changes requiring just an antibody test do you think they will give me a refund between the cost of a PCR and an antibody test?
I'm thinking not a chance in hell.

Old Jan 6th 2022, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Our Christmas/New Year travels led to us having 4 tests each, 1 PCR and 3 antigen. All clear. It is a thorough PITA, what with tests, form filling and general hassle. DH deals with stress badly, so he was a PITA as well. Glad we saw most of the family, but will delay returning until governments get their testing and other requirements all straightened out. You just didn't know what the requirements were day to day, and what new one they would lump on you. Glad we're home in one piece, covid free, and most important, our dog is home from kennels and having a snooze.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 4:58 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

My parents are currently visiting us in the US, and will return to the UK next week.

If what we've read is correct, they won't need to show any test results at the airport to board the Virgin Atlantic plane back to the UK. If so, it will save them some money, although we do have a couple of spare Emed test kits they could use. May do this anyway to cover themselves and avoid any expensive airport tests in case the rules change again.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 6:12 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
My parents are currently visiting us in the US, and will return to the UK next week.

If what we've read is correct, they won't need to show any test results at the airport to board the Virgin Atlantic plane back to the UK. If so, it will save them some money, although we do have a couple of spare Emed test kits they could use. May do this anyway to cover themselves and avoid any expensive airport tests in case the rules change again.
That's how I read it. Not sure if I'm happy.
Now we will have a plane full of untested people. With no idea of their status.
Knowing my luck I'm going to be sat next to someone coughing for 8 hours.