Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Transferring $ USA to UK: PayPal Vs XE

Wikiposts

Transferring $ USA to UK: PayPal Vs XE

Old Jan 7th 2010, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Transferring $ USA to UK: PayPal Vs XE

Hi,

Thanks to some advice I read (somewhere) on BE I have now started using XE.com trading instead of PayPal. At last look 1GBP was $1.62 on XE trading, on PayPal it was $1.66. So for me i'll be saving around $26 per month based on my transactions.

I do find PayPal VERY easy to use and didn't think anything else could compare. I found XE.com hard to use at first but after I used the online help a representative offered to call me. She helped me alot and now (although very little) it's saving me money.

Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Simon-in-Chicago is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Transferring $ USA to UK: PayPal Vs XE

Interesting, just arrived in US as my job moved so I followed it. I opened a US bank account with Bank of America. Now i want to transfer money back to the UK to pay my bills there, thats where it's got tricky. I registered with Currencyonline and tried a test transaction, however I cant do a bill payment from BoA to them, instead needs to be a wire which is $20.

Any ideas the most efficient way to do this? If it involves moving banks then thats fine. thanks:
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:30 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring $ USA to UK: PayPal Vs XE

Originally Posted by ajcmals
Hi,

Thanks to some advice I read (somewhere) on BE I have now started using XE.com trading instead of PayPal. At last look 1GBP was $1.62 on XE trading, on PayPal it was $1.66. So for me i'll be saving around $26 per month based on my transactions.

I do find PayPal VERY easy to use and didn't think anything else could compare. I found XE.com hard to use at first but after I used the online help a representative offered to call me. She helped me alot and now (although very little) it's saving me money.

Don't Paypal have extra fees on top?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:59 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Jeeze, BOA charged us 35 bucks per wire.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon-in-Chicago
Interesting, just arrived in US as my job moved so I followed it. I opened a US bank account with Bank of America. Now i want to transfer money back to the UK to pay my bills there, thats where it's got tricky. I registered with Currencyonline and tried a test transaction, however I cant do a bill payment from BoA to them, instead needs to be a wire which is $20.

Any ideas the most efficient way to do this? If it involves moving banks then thats fine. thanks:
Hello,

Do XE.com. You can have it debited from your account and send it EFT to your UK account. Ok EFT takes usually 5-7 business days but it's free. Wire to UK is still going to charge $20 if you choose. For now I use EFT unless it's urgent.

Good Luck. The staff at XE.com are very helpful and have 24hour call center. Just remember when you do an exchange to have the money debited directly from your account.

Good Luc
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Don't Paypal have extra fees on top?
Yes. It varies based on amount you send over but it is quite reasonable. For someone who has just arrived and needs to transfer less that $500 to the UK I think PayPal is the best option until you get settled and financially set up. It costs a few dollars more than XE on that kind of amount but is of course very easy to use and you can have your funds in your UK bank account in just a few days. I'm signed up to XE now and will use it once my PayPal balance is depleted, but I would happily use PayPal again in the future if the situation demanded it.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by WARPed
Yes. It varies based on amount you send over but it is quite reasonable. For someone who has just arrived and needs to transfer less that $500 to the UK I think PayPal is the best option until you get settled and financially set up. It costs a few dollars more than XE on that kind of amount but is of course very easy to use and you can have your funds in your UK bank account in just a few days. I'm signed up to XE now and will use it once my PayPal balance is depleted, but I would happily use PayPal again in the future if the situation demanded it.
xoom.com is a good way to transfer, too.