British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   a transatlantic love story (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/transatlantic-love-story-833812/)

yellowroom May 13th 2014 6:49 pm

a transatlantic love story

It's a story familiar to many here - you're on one side of the Atlantic, you meet someone on the other side, you fall in love, you get married, one of you has to move....

Only I seem to have done an unusual variation on it - I moved over here with work for an experience, then fell in love with someone back home. We're getting married in September.

Work are being very reasonable about it - perhaps because my fiance also works for the same organisation. My immediate boss and their boss have said they see no reason I can't do my current job back in my old office in the UK, just got some Directors and HR to convince before we can get paperwork sorted and signed. Would be nice if they contributed to my removal costs, but I've asked for the move and other things are going on in the company so I'm budgeting to do it myself - plan for the worst but hope for the best kind of thing. Anything forthcoming would be a bonus.

I've been lurking in the Moving Back forum, but I thought I ought to come clean here even though I'm not the most prolific of posters. I'll probably still hang around here for the craic as you're all a bit bonkers and make me laugh. Thanks for all the free advice and for keeping me company for the last three years!

lizzyq May 13th 2014 7:17 pm

Re: a transatlantic love story

Congratulations on your forthcoming nuptials! Hope the move back goes smoothly.

Bob May 13th 2014 7:54 pm

Congrats! :)

Sally Redux May 13th 2014 8:55 pm

Nice story! All the best.

MMcD May 13th 2014 9:21 pm

:goodpost:

What a great story and best wishes......full steam ahead

Bluegrass Lass May 13th 2014 9:34 pm

Congrats!

robin1234 May 13th 2014 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11259283)
:goodpost:

What a great story and best wishes......full steam ahead

Amen to that! (Or +1 ... is that the same thing??)
Anyways ... congrats :thumbup:

Bink May 14th 2014 12:29 am

Congrats!

yellowroom May 14th 2014 3:27 am

Thank you all for your kind wishes.

Nutek May 14th 2014 2:10 pm

Congrats. :):)

N1cky May 14th 2014 3:30 pm

Congratulations, good luck with your move back and the wedding :)

Uncle_Bob May 14th 2014 7:05 pm

Congratulations :)

kevntrace May 16th 2014 2:52 am

Before moving to the US, I was living in East Anglia and dating a lass from the south west. So we had a long distance relationship already, and only saw each other on weekends.

Then I landed a job in California. Girlfriend would not entertain the idea of coming out to join me unless married. So we had a REALLY long distance relationship for 2 years, until we did eventually marry. Then she came out to the US.

So our story is a little bit like yours, in some ways.