British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Trainee Redneck (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/trainee-redneck-910222/)

dj6372 Mar 9th 2018 1:26 pm

Trainee Redneck

So my time in California came to an abrupt ending, My wife got a screaming job offer in Atlanta, and within 4 weeks we had upped and moved!!

Been here 2 weeks and so far so good, the parky mornings took some getting used to!

So the good things, prices!! The last time I filled the cars up in Cali regular was $3.79, here it was $2.49, I used Shell, and yes I'm sure there are much cheaper, but that was a straight comparison, brekky at the weekend we usually saw a good $60 vanish, now it was hard to spend $30.

We are renting a 2 bed apartment, with 400 sq ft more for $600 less.........

Freeways are in much better nick, yes there are potholes, but so much nicer to drive, as for the driving, yes the driving is atrocious, but people indicate!!! They let you out of side streets.............unheard of in Cali

People are far more friendly here.

Publix carries a small selection of British goods, Marmite, Yorkshire Tea and Chokky bikkys for me, Robinson Orange Squash for the lady, and not bad prices.

The buck sure seems to go further here.

Bad things....................so far nothing yet.

tom169 Mar 9th 2018 1:45 pm

Re: Trainee Redneck

Welcome to the south. I really enjoy living in this culture.

dj6372 Mar 9th 2018 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12459353)

Its funny, I really enjoyed Cali, but I guess where I lived masked the unpleasantness of LA!

rbackhouse Mar 9th 2018 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by dj6372 (Post 12459331)

You haven't gone through a summer yet. Hope you like heat/humidity. It's not nicknamed Hotlanta for nothing :p

excpomea Mar 9th 2018 2:32 pm

I'm a few hours South of you in Tallahassee, we call it S Georgia.
Can't see us moving, but the summers are a bitch. 110 deg, 100% humidity and it rains like hell at 4:45 every day :(

dj6372 Mar 9th 2018 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by rbackhouse (Post 12459384)
You haven't gone through a summer yet. Hope you like heat/humidity. It's not nicknamed Hotlanta for nothing :p

Yeah I'm expecting the humidity to be an a55, but I lived in constant heat for the last 2 1/2 years, I'm enjoying the cold crisp mornings, must be the jock in me!!

Octang Frye Mar 9th 2018 4:49 pm

Be a Falcons fan, please.

dj6372 Mar 9th 2018 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 12459479)

Um, 49ers.................

Pulaski Mar 9th 2018 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12459353)

Dämn you! I was going to say exactly the same thing. :rolleyes:

The only people who sneer about The South are people who either (i) have never lived here, or (ii) are very delicate liberals. :nod:

tom169 Mar 9th 2018 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 12459479)

As a Falcons fan I am being pressured daily to switch allegiances to the enemy... Panthers. :(

The humidity is ridiculous in the summer here in NC. I moved houses in the heat of it and had to start my yard work early in the morning to try beat it.

robtuck Mar 9th 2018 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by dj6372 (Post 12459499)
Um, 49ers.................

Good choice (or not, in recent years)!

The humidity and heat are great, don't listen to them. That Gas prices are actually a bit higher than it had been when I arrived in 2016, went up about 10% after the Hurricane knocked out the Oil refineries in and around Houston.

The people are very nice, on the face of it, very polite. Lots of Sir and Mr get used and people say excuse me when they enter the same supermarket as you, let alone get close to your trolley.

Atlanta Utd are worth a watch.

I am just South, just before cvilisation ends in Newnan. I think we still get say we live in Metro Atlanta, but after us it's very small town's.

robtuck Mar 9th 2018 5:45 pm

Oh, and there are several locations with 45 mins or so that sell a significant amount of Uk home comforts, mostly around the Northern Perimeter.

Octang Frye Mar 9th 2018 6:12 pm

Although Colorado is my home, Atlanta was my first. It's a good city and a great state.
The people are great. The weather is great. Lush greens and that red soil.
You're close to that Floridia place and the Ocoee river in South Carolina.
And Savannah and Hilton Head. Sure, the traffic sucks, but it's not LA.
There's 38 Peachtree streets. The Walking Dead. The Dirty Birds. American Pie. The Big Chicken. It's like paradise on Earth. Kind of.

dc koop Mar 9th 2018 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by dj6372 (Post 12459331)
So my time in California came to an abrupt ending, My wife got a screaming job offer in Atlanta, and within 4 weeks we had upped and moved!!

Been here 2 weeks and so far so good, the parky mornings took some getting used to!

So the good things, prices!! The last time I filled the cars up in Cali regular was $3.79, here it was $2.49, I used Shell, and yes I'm sure there are much cheaper, but that was a straight comparison, brekky at the weekend we usually saw a good $60 vanish, now it was hard to spend $30.

We are renting a 2 bed apartment, with 400 sq ft more for $600 less.........

Freeways are in much better nick, yes there are potholes, but so much nicer to drive, as for the driving, yes the driving is atrocious, but people indicate!!! They let you out of side streets.............unheard of in Cali

People are far more friendly here.

Publix carries a small selection of British goods, Marmite, Yorkshire Tea and Chokky bikkys for me, Robinson Orange Squash for the lady, and not bad prices.

The buck sure seems to go further here.

Well it aint hurricane season so things should go smoothly for now

dc koop Mar 9th 2018 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 12459543)
Although Colorado is my home, Atlanta was my first. It's a good city and a great state.
The people are great. The weather is great. Lush greens and that red soil.
You're close to that Floridia place and the Ocoee river in South Carolina.
And Savannah and Hilton Head. Sure, the traffic sucks, but it's not LA.
There's 38 Peachtree streets. The Walking Dead. The Dirty Birds. American Pie. The Big Chicken. It's like paradise on Earth. Kind of.

And it's still a close majority of Trump voters.:sarcasm::.... for now anyway. Surprised you forgot to mention that.