Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Trader Joe's, Aldi and Lidl Food Stores in the USA

Trader Joe's, Aldi and Lidl Food Stores in the USA

Old Dec 6th 2013, 5:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trader Joe's, Aldi and Lidl Food Stores in the USA

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Are you talking about the Vintage Ale? If so, it's excellent stuff. It's brewed by Unibroue in Quebec and is similar to their Le Terrible Belgian strong ale. Le Terrible goes for $12 a bomber, getting a similar beer for $5 a bomber at TJs is awesome.
Yes, that's the one.

It's a shame they don't keep with it. Their seasonal specials can be hit or miss, sometimes they are fab and others not so good but this year, they're very good.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've still got one from last year in the fridge. Maybe it gets better with age
Old Dec 7th 2013, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

Love Aldi. We don't have Trader Joes near us, nearest is in Detroit or Chicago about 2 or 3 hours away. I remember cheering - after doing a double take - after seeing an Aldi pop up in Muskegon of all places, a podunk little town if ever there was one. There's half dozen in Grand Rapids, a city of about half a million. I have heard the moan about the food being on pallets not on shelves before and if you don't like it, go shop somewhere where they pay someone $7-8 an hour to put the stuff on a shelf. Some older stores might be a bit dingy but most in GR are new so they are bright and clean. I like that I have to return the trolley, bag my own stuff instead of try five times to explain to the checkout person that I don't need bags as I have my own bag and/or shopping trolley. Oh and they pay their people proper wages. Their fruit and veggies leave a bit to be desired but generally with their food you know you're getting quality, no crap additives as they use European recipes which means none of those E numbers. I'd say we buy most of our groceries in Aldi, filling in with the local farmers markets, a local greengrocer type shop, and an organic shop.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 5:43 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with the food on pallets? I don't give a flip. When I go to Germany on business trips, that is exactly how the local grocery is stocked and it is clean and neat and fresh and accessible. Well, it's Germany, of course. But so what if it's stacked boxes instead of grungy, never-dusted shelves set up by marketers to fool the customer into buying what's immediately reachable. Honestly.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 4:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
What's wrong with the food on pallets? I don't give a flip. When I go to Germany on business trips, that is exactly how the local grocery is stocked and it is clean and neat and fresh and accessible. Well, it's Germany, of course. But so what if it's stacked boxes instead of grungy, never-dusted shelves set up by marketers to fool the customer into buying what's immediately reachable. Honestly.
Well in our local one, it's because a lot of the stuff is damaged and a mare to get at and the fresh fruit/veg is often mouldy.

It's great in concept and it's a great place for sweets and oven meals...except not taking credit cards, or being in a shit hole of a location and worrying about the car getting broken into.

Just doesn't seem nearly as nice, clean or pleasant compared to the ones I've seen in Germany or else where :/
Old Dec 7th 2013, 5:50 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well in our local one, it's because a lot of the stuff is damaged and a mare to get at and the fresh fruit/veg is often mouldy.
This, pretty much.

Frankly, they couldn't pay me to eat most of what they are selling.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 5:57 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
This, pretty much.

Frankly, they couldn't pay me to eat most of what they are selling.
I've never been inside one. Even their sales flyers look shit. I'd rather go to the Mercado or ethnic stores ... their stuff is yummy.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 6:16 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

It's great in concept and it's a great place for sweets and oven meals...except not taking credit cards, or being in a shit hole of a location and worrying about the car getting broken into.

Just doesn't seem nearly as nice, clean or pleasant compared to the ones I've seen in Germany or else where :/
Ours is in a really good location and always well looked after inside. Nothing damaged for us, and never seen any bad fruit and veg (unlike our local Big Y). Probably varies by location/management.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 7:22 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Probably varies by location/management.
This does seem to be the case, judging by comments from others here. How are their Sprouts?
Old Dec 7th 2013, 8:32 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
This does seem to be the case, judging by comments from others here. How are their Sprouts?
They're not posh enough to have sprouts...
Old Dec 9th 2013, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
No TJ near us, but we go to the one in Hyannis when we are in MA. No wine there, of course.
I remember that plaza, bloody terrible for parking.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 4:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I remember that plaza, bloody terrible for parking.
True but Christmas Tree Shop next door
Old Dec 9th 2013, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob
They're not posh enough to have sprouts...
To be fair, they are a high quality item.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 5:38 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and its a big one too
Old Dec 9th 2013, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

Oh yes you always had to go in both stores

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.